Chris's Mkiv Basket Case restored to glory

There was a Suzuki plot at one point. It got dumped as

1. We couldn’t find a G13B at half sensible money (cult engine these days).
2. We did get a Jimny M13A and ‘box, but although the box is still quite compact the engine, though light, is pretty big. We did quite a bit of work, but there were some serious packaging challenges to be overcome and in the end it was going to be only a little more powerful than the Triumph lump. Then he discovered what John B’s scrapyard Sigma engine was giving horsepower-wise….. :ohmy:Suzuki stuff got sold on to a guy building some sort of trials special.

Biggest effort so far has been converting the MX-5 box to fit the Ford engine. And rebuilding the bloody Sigma engine - didn’t get as lucky as John :blink:

He’s on the exhaust manifold now.

• Like 1

One of the great advantages of the Sigma or Zetec SE is its weight, 80kg, all alloy and producing 100bhp in the Focus. The disadvantage may be that the exhaust is on the right hand side which could interfere with the steering shaft. 

I'm sure that Chris will overcome all the difficulties and he will end up with a car, the performance of which will blow his socks off.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So…. Something bad happened to the Triumph gearbox. 3rd gear suddenly got really noisy under load.
Reckon that’ll be the oilite-bush-spigot-bearing bodge we did crying enough. It’s lasted about 12k.

So that forced some action…..

Old lump coming out. It weighs 151 kgs.

7abaf6b7-12f4-4d41-97bd-7c0629829328.jpeg

68dccddd-4041-4130-a7e7-f453ad8c176c.jpeg

Old and new side by side

18b1625a-dfc9-47df-a00b-f7ee4ff8e12c.jpeg
New going in for the first time. First of many one suspects. It weighs 119kg.

b2d8a164-381d-4b62-922e-97be62dfdf64.jpeg

Fits in the hole, though rather snug in places

16f78f45-5f0b-44a5-b2e1-cda68a47ae05.jpeg
c94a48c3-c112-4233-96bb-a7476df77c2f.jpeg

induction arrangements are under review…..8482d786-9ccf-4b0c-a076-04f7dade6cc8.jpeg

049e0764-ab40-4826-be77-c34ebd975db6.jpeg

rearmost TB wants to occupy space already claimed by the bulkhead.

• Like 5

Following on from the weight saving offered by the Sigma, how about Chris uses his metal shaping skills to save more weight by making some aluminium panels in the bonnet? Inner and outer wings would be a good start. The more weight that can be lost up front, the better the car will turn in. If you have an old bonnet or could source one from Tavistock Steve, it could be used as a hammerform like Mr Brough did when building his D Type.

• Like 1

Good to see movement on this Nick, even if it was raher forced on you. Should make a very nice combo.

PS. did you pair get a job lot of grey paint at some point in your lives?:laugh:

John, that is a very impressive project. The lad is obvious very skilled.

But if weight saving is the objective then how about a bit of carbon fibre goodness?

5 minutes ago, Escadrille Ecosse said:

Good to see movement on this Nick, even if it was raher forced on you. Should make a very nice combo.

PS. did you pair get a job lot of grey paint at some point in your lives?:laugh:

John, that is a very impressive project. The lad is obvious very skilled.

But if weight saving is the objective then how about a bit of carbon fibre goodness?

Do you reckon a sub-700kg road going Spitfire is achievable? 

13 minutes ago, John Bonnett said:

Do you reckon a sub-700kg road going Spitfire is achievable? 

Most certainly yes.

I got the green Mk2 with the 2.5L six, Saloon box and rotoflex down to 730kg in full roadgoing trim, bumpers and all.

The Mk1 4cyl was 610kg in race trim with full cage and GRP panels. I suspect roadgoing trim with carbon fibre will still be sub 650kg.

7 minutes ago, Escadrille Ecosse said:

Most certainly yes.

I got the green Mk2 with the 2.5L six, Saloon box and rotoflex down to 730kg in full roadgoing trim, bumpers and all.

The Mk1 4cyl was 610kg in race trim with full cage and GRP panels. I suspect roadgoing trim with carbon fibre will still be sub 650kg.

If Chris can achieve that, he could be looking at 200bhp/tonne

On 12/11/2023 at 7:37 PM, Escadrille Ecosse said:

Vitesse was painted grey (Rover mid-grey iirc) back in 1989 as I wanted a forgiving colour to disguise my minimal painting skills and didn’t fancy white or primrose. I’ve taken a lot of stick for the colour (primer, when are you going finish it) over decades, until a few years back when grey suddenly came back into fashion. Not sure which is worse!

The Spit is a different shade of grey and a match/copy for the Wimpus Spit in Belgium. The forgiving colour for minimal painting skills still applied though….

:biggrin:

I like it, looks good and suits the cars. Vitesse always looked good in grey, even as a factory colour. 

Was more surprised about the Spitfire, but that too at least with the Mk4 shape.

The thing that caught my eye though and led to my comment was the coordinating engine and gearbox paint.

Never been a fan of anything but black (or bare alloy) for those, but I find the grey quite pleasing. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Useful stuff on the engine and gearbox weights. I'd got a 1300 small-crank + gearbox (not sure if OD) and all inlet/exhaust gubbins pinned at 161.9kg. Believable considering yours is 10kh shy without inlet or exhaust.

Considering the ITBs and manifold will likely be lighter than the OE bits too I'd be aiming for sub-600 kg ;) why not be ambitous! :biggrin: edging closer to E46 M3 territory...

If Chris's engine is producing the same power as mine on TBs and aftermarket ECU a couple of cams should bring it up to 150BHP and that would take it over 200bhp/tonne and with the handling to match not much will be able to touch it.

• Like 1