£30-35K Suggestions?

Right long story short, hunting around for a new car for the old boy, 

The corvette has run its time and is too big and heavy for him to manage these days.

So we are trying to find a replacement....

It needs to have light steering, and pedals are a must.

He fancies another classic, but its still got to have some street presence. 

I suggested a nice 911, but he hates them, a shiny new Ginetta G40r was too boy racerish.

He fancies a jensen CV8 but i think he'd regret it. TR6 is an option, but what else can anyone think of?

I like the idea of an Esprit personally :P

Peugeot RCZ, the 270bhp R version.    http://www.peugeot.co.uk/showroom/rcz/r/?campaignid=PPC_NCS&advertiserid=google&bannerid=&gclid=CJHT08_x6cICFU6WtAodG3QA8w&match=e&kword=peugeot+rcz+r

Nicest looking modern on the road, has enormous presence for a small car, turns every head, 4-star treatment from your Peugeot dealer.

And, if the "old boy" wants to he can save himself ten grand, and have a car with the lesser engine but all the other attributes, and no one else will know the difference!

JOhn

£30-35k no competition, Lotus evora. A real drivers car but modern. There are loads of modern cars he could get but the Evora would be my choice.

A Classic????Well Jaguar E-type? Morgan Plus 8? It really is down to what he wants??? Power steering on a classic will be hard to find. My wifes 911 has it but I don't class it as a classic as its 1990.

Let us know how this turns out.

Chris.

Later Corvette?

Stag?  (might need clutch servo if manual but most are auto)

Monaro?

Merc SL?

Friend of the MiL has a TR4a and following a mild stroke has had to get some mods done to make it easier to drive.  He's added PAS and a servo on the clutch to great effect.  The brakes were not a problem anyway.  Might be possible to fettle his existing car in this way if he'd rather keep it?

Cheers

Nick

Well he threw a spanner in my dreams, he's struggling and so am i.

Anything modern is now out, so is the lotus esprit i hanckered after.

Speed is not interesting to him apparently anymore (i think he will regret it).

My instant thought is a daimler dart, can't get much of an E-type for the money. 

Currently im thinking a Chessil Speedster...

Hello Nick,

" Dunno about the budget though.."

A very big point, Vicarage and also Classic Motor Cars of Bridgnorth have many modifications for the MK 2 but at a price!

An alternative is the 'S' type, based on the Mk 2 but with independent rear suspension and also, I think, with power steering. It is slightly longer but very similar in styling to the Mk 2 except for the boot. However, they can be much cheaper to buy, like condition for like than a MK 2.

Alec

I like the Jensen CV8 idea - big block power, fibreglass body and unique styling. OK I'm being kind about the styling. But they're rare, quick and won't rust. If you can't find one, how about an Interceptor? A 440 Hemi, Italian styling and luxurious interior. The effect is like a bouncer in a sharp suit. Perfectly polite, immaculately turned out, and able to take care of problems quickly and discretely.

Damn, now I want one.

Hello Mattius,

The 541 from which the CV8 evolved was a much nicer looking car. I've never much liked any Jensen after that, partly as I don't like American V8 engines. I have always fancied a Bristol but wouldn't pick anything after they started using V8 engines. (Even Aston Martin, in their doldrum years, considered an American V8 but decided against it as being too much of a step the wrong way).

I still think a Jaguar makes the best choice, even an XJ6 if you can find a good example would be well within budget and give excellent driving performance.

Alec

The Spyder Zetec powered Elan is a great car.  Made just up the road from me by some good friends.   My choice, however, would be a Porsche Cayman.  I've been running a 2.7 as a daily for over a year and can find no fault with it.  Lotus Evora has been mentioned and although the ride is superb the interior, particularly the switchgear , lets it down.

Pete Richards