Mb 508D Campervan, Private Hgv

Hi Guys,

Just inherited an 1981 MB 508D Campervan conversion. Sadly getting it back to Oz would be somewhat pricey so it has to go.

Anyone interested? It has current MOT and tax (Private HGV). Ideal unit for towing "The Car" to "The Ring" and staying a few days.

Approx 200K Km, I have all the details if there's any interest.

Will drop pictures in the bucket shortly.

J2.

Edited by pomwah

Suppose it was for sale at 3,500 GBP would that make a difference?

Comes with: (things not immediately obvious from the pictures)

A hot water system,

Eberspacher Airtronic heater,

"House battery",

full awning with walls (just the place to keep the car out of the weather

A couple of small pots and a frying pan, all unused,

Portable single burner gas stove with gas canisters,

Some cutlery,

A large (18cm) Newcastle Brown Ale bottle top hood ornament,

A whole selection of handy tools,

A bivvy - if the "co-driver" becomes unbearable at least they'll have a place to sleep when you ask them to get out.

Big gas bottle.

There's even an old kettle BBQ but I'm pretty certain nobody would want it.

I did start it, first time no problems, and drove it round a carpark, it felt OK.

MOT current until 27/08/2013 with the following 5 advisories:

001 Windscreen has damage (a bullseye) to an area less than a 40mm circle outside zone A.

002 Nearside rear leaf spring has a slightly deteriorated shackle pin rubber bush not resulting in excessive movement.

003 Offside rear leaf spring has a slightly deteriorated shackle pin rubber bush not resulting in excessive movement.

004 Passenger seat slightly insecure.

005 Nearside and offside rear outriggers badly corroded behind rear wheels.

The MOT was issued with 201,273 Km on the clock, it's been driven a paltry 28 Km since (probably not a good thing).

The van currently resides behind a pub in Nth. Yorkshire.

J2.

Looks like cracking value. I don't want one though...... (it's bigger than my drive - which is (over)full already)

Might be worth a try on the Retro Rides forum as they have a bit of a classic camper following........

Or take the long way back to Oz in it.........

Nick

If I could sneak it past 'er indoors.......

But yours is too nice to use as a race truck. I'd like one with a workspace in the back, or at least some oily storage space.

Thanks for the idea to look at M-Bs in that series. They are a good size to accomodate such a workspace.

Hope you sell it well.

John

Also John, consider something like a large Iveco or MB Sprinter van. An ebay trawl will soon reveal that many, many nondescript vans are actually mobile workshop / race support vehicles.

My mate has a huge '07 ex parcelforce Iveco van, still gives 33mpg.

Looks like cracking value. I don't want one though...... (it's bigger than my drive - which is (over)full already)

Might be worth a try on the Retro Rides forum as they have a bit of a classic camper following........

Or take the long way back to Oz in it.........

Nick

Thanks Nick,

I've considered taking the long way home, the idea is appealing and it would be quite some trip! Not sure SWMBO would be too enthusiastic, I'm pretty certain she wouldn't want to come with me and would be very reluctant to let me go alone. Marriage: "a life sentence with no privileges", don't know who said that but they got it right.

I'll try retro rides, I'd like it to go to someone who knows what these things are all about.

Cheers Guys,

J2

I'd certainly offer up the price if you can fit it onboard and get it back to oz! Rapidly changing work circumstances mean I either coax the unkillable but non starting Toyota van back to life, or find an alternative for 3 days a week. 2013 suddenly looks like being a year with lots of skydiving and not much IT.

Yahoo!

C.

Hi Craig

I've costed importing it to Oz, only one quick quote and I haven't shopped around but I'm sure it's indicative of the approximate cost.

To get it to Australia ex Southampton to Brisbane $8,000 AUD. Plus, getting it to Southampton, any GST that may be applied and the cost of complying it.

Doesn't sound so bad, something that size is worth about 25 - 30K at home but as it was never officially imported into Australia getting spare parts would be horrendous. Almost as bad as getting the right spit bits but so much bigger and so much more expensive.

You'd need a light rigid licence to drive it and my brother led to to believe that the 3.8 litre straight six diesel wasn't the most fuel efficient of beasts.

Cheers

James