Check Out This Thread! Gt6 Spitfire Modded.....

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Chris.

This happened right outside Greg Tunstall's workshop. Greg said the driver just ploughed into the back of the line of parked cars. No one else around, the road is wide enough for about 4 cars here. Probably texting.

I had a look over it in Gregs yard about 18 months ago before this happened and it was very well done. Gregs comment was that it was very quick too.

Nigel

Interesting. Mr Clutch Monkey is energetic and seems well funded! Pity the orginal car got squashed - some thump that was!

Rear suspension is interesting. Like the way the spring is NOT hung off the diff. Rear hubs are off something FWD I reckon as the additional arms to the hoop over the diff are going onto steering arms and now being used for tracking adjustment. Don't recognise it. Notice that the original car had UJs at the inner end and they magically turn into CVs during the new build. Wonder if he knows where the parts are from as he didn't build the original car.... guess he must have had to find out by now!

Nick

This happened right outside Greg Tunstall's workshop. Greg said the driver just ploughed into the back of the line of parked cars. No one else around, the road is wide enough for about 4 cars here. Probably texting.

Mmm, I thought I recognised the stretch of road. Does Mr Monkey work for Greg? I'll look forward to seeing his car in the metal when it's finished... and see if I can keep up with it...

Hi Nick.

He does't work for Greg. I think that Greg assisteed in a few things but the conversion is all his own. The rear end is Lancia but thats all I know. I believe that the engine is one of Greg's Mazda piston overbores too... so you'll have a challenge :thumbsup:

You can see also see one of Greg's Ute's in the carnage.

Nigel

Interesting. Mr Clutch Monkey is energetic and seems well funded!

ha, i wish! i am torn between trying to stay under budget using the insurance pay out, and fixing up everything to how it 'should' be - including stuff that wasn't right before the crash.

the change from UJ's to CV's happened when the suspension mounts were welded onto the new chassis, as we changed diffs at the same time. at present i can't remember the reason why we swapped diffs but it was something we had planned to do before the accident. i think for longer gearing, the car's primary purpose is for cruising around. Greg knows more about that, he lives up the street and has been able to help at every step along the way.

the rear setup is off a lancia, with the hubs off an alfa. unfortunately this makes the PCD 4x98, which makes obtaining new wheels a pain..

biggest concern is that the engine is actually okay. this car was never meant to be a project - me and dad obtained the mini for that, neither of us are particularly mechanical geniuses - but the decision to bring it back to life was made on the basis that the engine and gearbox and suspension were unscathed and too good to waste. It certainly seems that way but until it starts i won't know for sure!

original plan was to simply buy another spitfire, part it out, and slot our bits in. lot of planning etc later and a chassis and body came in anyway from helpful people!

the car dyno'd at 130rwhp before, it could use some work on the exhaust side of things but i'm really not going to worry about that, what with everything else on my plate.. :verymad:

Edited by Clutch-monkey

Well, if not well funded then all the more credit to your energy and ingenuity - you're doing a good job there - I like it :thumbsup:

You'll find plenty of appreciation for this kind of work on this board...... some of us are even fairly local! Not me though - I live on a small, overcrowded island in the north Atlantic - currently frozen solid - work on the current project is halted until the icicles on it melt!

If you are worried about the engine, borrow a set of carbs from Greg, swap 'em over and fire it up like this.... if it's nicely mounted in the chassis- so much the better!

(apologies to those who have already see this bit of craziness)

Seriously though - these engines are very solid things (the weight gives it away!) so if the chain case at the front isn't squashed and the pulley still rotates true, it's unlikely it was hurt. Only other area to check could be the back plate where the gearbox attaches.

Cheers

Nick

Hi Clutch,

I'm restoring a GT6 over in Morningside with similar spec to yours. 2.6L, EFI, Supra box and Subaru diff. Not that it's actually here at the moment, the body's still at the painter in Mackay (long story). But hopefully it'll be ready for the road in twelve months or so. And not struggling at the back of the queue like my Herald!

Seriously though - these engines are very solid things (the weight gives it away!) so if the chain case at the front isn't squashed and the pulley still rotates true, it's unlikely it was hurt. Only other area to check could be the back plate where the gearbox attaches.

Cheers

Nick

that is comforting, the pulley does rotate fine and the only damage was the water pump housing got smacked in.

Hi Clutch,

I'm restoring a GT6 over in Morningside with similar spec to yours. 2.6L, EFI, Supra box and Subaru diff. Not that it's actually here at the moment, the body's still at the painter in Mackay (long story). But hopefully it'll be ready for the road in twelve months or so. And not struggling at the back of the queue like my Herald!

ah i don't have the supra box, it's still a triumph gearbox. was still a pain to fit though!

i really like GT6's, unfortunately being only marginally aware of triumphs prior to getting this i discovered them too late. when it came time to rebuild, the girls wouldn't let us get one as a donor shell.. they liked the convertible-ness too much!

fulcrum were good at finding bushings in all the bizarro sizes the suspension setup needed, so i am hoping it feels tighter than ever when it gets on the road.

if anybody has ever successfully resolved the issue of removing the external hinges for the bonnet i'd love to see your solutions, i am halfway through my current solution but would like to see others attempts.

also - opinions on rollover bars?

Edited by Clutch-monkey

I rolled my spit. No roll bar and I consider myself VERY lucky to still be here. I had MX5 highback seats and a plastic hardtop (actually a rather good one, double skin, made in california IIRC) and that saved my bacon, the screen surround was almost flat and the windscreen broke against my hand (still holding the wheel) so deep cuts etc where my only injury.

The current spitfire build (rather slow at the moment, and it seems time is being sucked away from me with a list of other things taking precedence, earning a living and having a family and......) WILL have a rear roll bar with a fixed diagonal. I have a std rear bar, so intend welding a nice bit of CDS tube in to make it good and rigid. Unless I stumble across a suitable bar somewhere.....