Vehicle: Gt6

The TUV is officialdom...... they don't need reasons......

Nick

once they used to be engineers. making test rides and aprove technical modifications if they comply with technical rules and laws. officialdom is what the became as they are now only allowed to legalize modifications if they have been tested by their own institute. on specific cars with specific configuartion. e.g a tested brake caliper could be legalized on a TR5, but this wouldn't be legal for a TR250, you have to run (and pay) the complete procedure again. in case you're finally there and everthing is legal, you'll loose the historcal status for your car. which triples (or more)  the road tax from now.

on the other side, they keep unsafe cars from the road. and we all know some examples where you only can shake your head...

Edited by oviwan

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Success, TÃœV approved the change to triple Weber DCOE. They put in the papers 93kw and a maximum speed of 186km/h. And the "closed" air flter as mandatory equipment laid down in the papers.

All now official. As well they approved the 5,5 x 13 ET (offset) 9 wheels from Mattig.

Only downside is that they changed the tyre specification from 175/70/13 82T to 175/70/13 82H.

That means new tyres. OK the old ones an go to the Herald. The current Conti Eco Contact are brilliant in dry and wet. But only T (max 190km/h) rated. H means speed up to 210km/h. There is only a limited choice in reputable brands in that size with H. Best seems to be Hankook 415. Any experiences?

I could try to go to 185/60/13, but not on the steel 5,5 13 Offset 09. And these steelies look so good.

Cheers

Martin

• 1 year later...

That looks nice.  But I think you'll still pick up too much hot air when moving slow - I know mine does, even with some shrouding to reduce the spill from the radiator.  Can you put the air filter itself in front of the radiator and connect it with trunking?  I would do that if I had any space in front of the radiator......

Nick

Martin,

Your son's excellent choice as a first car you describe as an Innocenti B39 Mini, and it looks to me just like a Mini. but I'd never heard the two names together.

I Googled for "Innocenti B39", and all the hits are in German and all the images are ... Minis.

So I did the same for "Innocenti Mini" and most of the pics are Minis, but some are a very different car, more like a Mk1 Golf.

What's the story?    Do you know about the other car?

John

Hi John,

I think the official name was Innocenti Mini Cooper 1300.  The B39 was the type, mentioned in the papers. But here in Germany they just call it B39 and everybody knows what it is. Because these were the ones with the Cooper S features (7,5" brakes, twin HS2, close ratio box, 11 stud head ......)

The papers say that the manufacturer is called : Leyland Innocenti. Yes they are Minis, but special ones. Ie. Quater Lights, 5 dials from Veglia on the dash, Carello / Alessi lights insted of Lucas (oh original Carellos / Alessi are made of unobtainium and fetch a price), diffenrent Grille (again fetching a price), differnet headlamp rims (again fetching a price), different....

Try to get a bootlid for an Inno in good nick (yes its different, it has a square pressing for the number plate, nice discussions in Germany to get a number plate that fits, because the plates that fit are from small bikes, and a bike is not a car)

Martin

• 4 months later...

Nordschleife?

The memory of our flying lap in 2009 during the 10CR still brings me out in a cold sweat......

Your comment was something like  "back so soon"  then "your wheels are smoking".  They were..... and the brake discs were blue...... :o

GT6 looks happy there  :)

Nick

Yes I remember, especially the smoking brakes.

It was the first time since many many years that I had some laps on the "Ring".

Engine is running fine, brakes (Standard discs with Mintex 1144) are fine as well. I think a bit more spirited driving  and they may have a problem. Brake Balance good. No "moments".

Tyres Hankook Optima 175 70 13 H  are very good.

As my Ring experiences are with very light FWD cars , driving the GT6 was totally new for me.

GT6 shows a kind of reluctance to go into a corner and even more reluctance if you try to correct your curve to a more narrow curve.

Still suffering from vibrations. Suspension from the viewpoint springs and dampers seem to be fine. Perhaps some stiffer front springs?

It was a very nice day  :yes:

Martin

I remember you telling us about your 'ring days with the Polo 1300

I think that lap was the first really serious test of the Ferodo D2500 pads - they passed.  In fact they are still on the car, though getting a bit thin now.  They've done well, which is good because they were bloody expensive!  We had previously managed to fade M1144s, but only when trying really hard and the Vitesse weighs a bit more.

Understeer...... traditional issue with GT6 and Vitesse.  Big, fat engine, too far forward.  You can reduce it but maybe not remove it completely.  I've got 350lb springs, 10.5" free length on Konis set three clicks from fully soft (should have left them fully soft!), 1º negative camber at the front and toe set parallel front and rear.  It's as good as it's ever been and now handles pretty neutrally when the boot is full of junk (say 40 - 50kg) with mild understeer when completely unladen.

Vibration?  Wheels or drive-line?  Both are pretty hard to get rid of on these cars, though I have to say that the guy who balanced my new Falken tyres did a very fine job - best I've had and my propshaft is good to 100 mph - which is enough!

Nick

• 11 months later...

This year I again did the 2 hours outing at the Nürburgring.

New tyres. Avon CR6ZZ are great. Vibrations mostly gone (thanks Dave Mac Props)

I trust trhe car more and more.

If you can choose your line through a curve ist really behaves nicely. Difficult if you try to overtake other cars in curves. Or for whatever reason you have to change the line in a curve. Then the front does either not want to do what you want as it is soooo heavy or the light rear end gets very "light" and intends to have a look what is happening in front.

Martin

post-819-0-89433700-1495002186_thumb.jpg

This year I again did the 2 hours outing at the Nürburgring.

New tyres. Avon CR6ZZ are great. Vibrations mostly gone (thanks Dave Mac Props)

I trust trhe car more and more.

If you can choose your line through a curve ist really behaves nicely. Difficult if you try to overtake other cars in curves. Or for whatever reason you have to change the line in a curve. Then the front does either not want to do what you want as it is soooo heavy or the light rear end gets very "light" and intends to have a look what is happening in front.

Martin

Seems like a good day  :)​   Good looking car!

Yes, you do need to choose your line first and stick to it - or things can get a little tense....  Vitesse is supposed to be a little easier than the GT6 due to longer wheelbase and more rearward weight...... can't comment as I've not got the GT6 experience.

Nick

• 1 year later...

During winter I removed the complete rear drivetrain. I still was suffering from vibrations above 125km/h. Took everything out. Rear bushes of the diff where very soft. Replaced them with Superflex.  One rear wheel bearing (MGF) was hmmmm "so so". Thus replaced all with Timken ones. Replaced the Land Rover studs with Land Rover studs (you know the topic with the length of the threaded part). Then I took time to dig again into the topic of the angles of engine / prop / diff. I had shortened the front upper diff bushes to align a bit the angles to have the nearly same angle gearbox / prop and prop / diff.

I changed again to a standard  front upper diff bush and aligned a bit the hight of engine / gearbox so that I do have approx. zero degree angle at gearbox / prob and  7 degree at prob / diff. tested the car yesterday and could easily go to 150km/h nearly without vibrations (taking into account it an old car).

Have to check again the wheel alignment, as stepping back from the accelerator pedal nearly turns the car. Intend to go to zero toe in at the rear and a slight toe in at the front. Camber is -1 at the front and -0,5 at the rear.

Martin is happy. Did again the "Nordschleife Pur" on Sunday. It was really fun. The overhauled rear suspension in connection with the wheel alignment worked fine. Car behaved much much better than in the last year. Even possible to correct the line in a curve. Vibrations more or less gone. Engine pulling easily beyond 6.000. 

Son took his Mini and he was happy as well. This car goes around the corners whow and fast, fast, …...

Cheers

Martin

PUR12052019.jpg

PUR Inno 12052019.jpg

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Well that took time. I sent the cylinder head for repair in May. It returned in November. Thats fine as I´m not in a hurry.  And I´m happy, as at present, it would be stuck somewhere.

Peter Burgess did a superb work on it with new valves and guides. 

CH GT6.jpg