Going Eracing?

Berjeezus we seem to be hell bent on going racing this weekend despite every bit of sense. The cars not ready, the job won't allow it but at this moment we're looking to do a hit and run just as we did twenty five years ago.

Pat keeps saying she wants to go and is on a high cycle at the mo. I think the car is good but I've not yet changed tghe diff to the long gears for willow. Coffee maker is duff in the motorhome and I'm just now draining the blackwater from last month.

I guess we won't know until we go?????blink.gif

GO FOR IT!!!! Some times the most unexpected are the ones you perform best at........However Try to stick to the 7 p's

Prior

Preparation and

Planning

prevents

piss

poor

performance.

Chris.

Haha a Captain in our CCF likes saying that... wonder where you two get it from!

Berjeezus we seem to be hell bent on going racing this weekend despite every bit of sense. The cars not ready, the job won't allow it but at this moment we're looking to do a hit and run just as we did twenty five years ago.

Pat keeps saying she wants to go and is on a high cycle at the mo. I think the car is good but I've not yet changed the diff to the long gears for willow. Coffee maker is duff in the motorhome and I'm just now draining the blackwater from last month.

I guess we won't know until we go?????blink.gif

If you've got the itch, you've just got to scratch :P If you've got time to worry about the coffee maker you can't be that far off ready :lol:

Draining month-old blackwater doesn't sound too lovely - I guess the new job my be getting you accustomed to "strong odours"? Though the mechanical boys suffer worse than the sparkies when it comes to getting close-up and personal with the product.... especially the pump fixers :pinch:

Nick

Oh Nick, you are so right. That said there's been a recurrent joke thru the years that we became electricians cuz it was clean work. While covered with mud, stucco, plastic dust or now.....never mind.

Just note I don't hold wirenuts or screws in my mouth anymore.

As for the race weekend, I've elected the "It's stupid" checkbox as we are clearly not ready. I've always indicted those building their cars in the paddock so can't be one of those. I can't steal the time from Pat to do that work at the track and finally I flatly CANNOT just go to drive around. I either must be first or break something trying. I'm sick of breaking stupid little things because they were rushed so this time I'll weight til mid November for my fix.

If you've got the itch, you've just got to scratch :P If you've got time to worry about the coffee maker you can't be that far off ready :lol:

Draining month-old blackwater doesn't sound too lovely - I guess the new job my be getting you accustomed to "strong odours"? Though the mechanical boys suffer worse than the sparkies when it comes to getting close-up and personal with the product.... especially the pump fixers :pinch:

Nick

No my friend, we did not.

I heeded the seven P's and coupled it with the corollary "act in haste, repent at leisure".

Weather was frightful and I have a couple issues I want to examine further in this motor. Firstly is a leaking oil pan gasket that may be caused by the scraper plate. I've not renewed that gasket forever as I try not to stress it during pan removal but it may still be damaged.

Second and more important issue is that I seem to have a knock in the #1 cylinder that may be legit. I try to run zero clearance and often hear the pistons into the squish when things are real hot. But not at garage temps. I need to look at that...

Wise decision by the sound of it.

Nick

Wise is only coming to me slowly. I've done way too much with too many distractions that have only cost me money. I need to refocus on the biggest issues and stop trying to keep all the balls in the air. The racer is no longer the top priority and the performance reflects that. Youth has the advantage.. Since I can't abide just running midpack I have to do some serious thinking.

And I've got a Farndon crank on the way....teehee.gif

You dont have to be competitive to enjoy it, being around what you know and friends whilst going out and getting some relaxation time in the car could be just what you need steve.

You have obviously never been fully bitten by the racing bug,

If you have run at the front there's no enjoyment in running mid pack. If you have tried and it's broken it;s then that you enjoy the company of fellow racers along with there commiserations. Been there and it's a bigger high from trying and suffering a failure than just driving around being non-competitive.

Pete Richards

aahhh, Pete knows....thumbsup.gif

That said, I do have a ball when I have to start from the back after a DNF.ninja.gif

You have obviously never been fully bitten by the racing bug,

If you have run at the front there's no enjoyment in running mid pack. If you have tried and it's broken it;s then that you enjoy the company of fellow racers along with there commiserations. Been there and it's a bigger high from trying and suffering a failure than just driving around being non-competitive.

Pete Richards

• 2 months later...

Jeez, I don't want to curse the next effort with past failures BUT, It looks like we can make the grid again in mid February. Car sounds good on the jackstands. Just have to resolve oil leaks from the double pan gasket to be ready. Trailer is still stocked from the last trip and the MH needs a good cleaning.

I have to go to Phoenix for a week long training session the week before the race so I have to get all the ducks in a row before that. I'm going to make that the focus of this four day weekend. Time to prepare, take advantage when available;-))

OOhhh, Friday the thirteenth is supposed to be unlucky, eh?

I brought the trailer around in the afternoon to start cleaning it out. It had eight crankshafts collected at the last event that had to be moved to storage. Two at a time I trundled them across to the shed leaning them against the wall. Last one knocks over the whole stack and one lands on my big toe! Serious cursing for a bit and still limping today.

Bad luck right? Hell No! Good Luck! I could've easily broken the toe so I'm feeling pretty good about little more than a black toenail.

Gotta find the good, right?

The frontmost rocker stud had backed off and the pedestal was slamming up and down.

The cranks are actually in great shape. They've been stored in cosmoline for eons. Several are new and they are all reground. I'll still have them checked as I can't vouch for warp or twist but it's good to have spares again.

Yeah, it's starting to look like I may have broken the jinx. Charging batteries in the motorhome has payed off as they seem to be holding. All the tyres are fresh and the desert floor is cool this season. I've gotta check propane in the MH as we'll be using the heater for sure.

Big issue is how will my bride behave whilst I'm on track? The dogs I can lock in the MH or put on lanyards but the law won't allow such with Pat. We'll play it by ear and worst case rely on the kindness of strangers.

I'm going to a week long school in Phoenix the week before so the hounds will be in kennel then. I wonder if I'd be smarter to kennel them again the next weekend to reduce aggro? I'm thinking yes is the correct answer.....