What i've done to my Car this week!

New wheels! Hadn't intended getting alloys and was going to have my steelies blasted and powder coated silver. However at Stoneleigh found a set of wheels that I thought looked good and at a bargain price. Set of 4 brand new 5Jx13 minilite copies with anthracite finish and polished rims, slight mismatch in colour but unless you know can't see it. £100 for the set. No centres with them so made my own as I wanted flat ones and liked the badge that was in middle of my old hub caps.

And before anyone comments on them I know the tyres are cheap and nasty but they came off my old wheels and for the amount I drive the car at the moment they do the job until I can afford something better.

Not to everyones taste but I like them:

Also replaced speedo cable, choke cable, rear brake pipes, rear rubber hoses with braided, fuel hose and pipe from tank to fuel pump, all brake and fuel pipe clips. Fixed problem with horn blowing fuses.

Hopefully this weekend will replace all front suspension bushes, trunnions and bolts, then MOT- aiming to do that on 24th as it's the cars 40th Birthday then.

Burned off a boy racer Peugeot 206 from the traffic lights, quite amusing.

I was on my way to visit a mate who is looking after a 'C' reg Spitfire which is being restored as part of a charity thing.  I arrived just in time to hear the Spitty run for the first time in more than 20 years.  Sounded pretty smooth considering.

New wheels! Hadn't intended getting alloys and was going to have my steelies blasted and powder coated silver. However at Stoneleigh found a set of wheels that I thought looked good and at a bargain price. Set of 4 brand new 5Jx13 minilite copies with anthracite finish and polished rims, slight mismatch in colour but unless you know can't see it. £100 for the set. No centres with them so made my own as I wanted flat ones and liked the badge that was in middle of my old hub caps.

And before anyone comments on them I know the tyres are cheap and nasty but they came off my old wheels and for the amount I drive the car at the moment they do the job until I can afford something better.

Not to everyones taste but I like them:

Nice wheels - at a bargain price to!

Cheers

Nick

Hopefully this weekend will replace all front suspension bushes, trunnions and bolts, then MOT- aiming to do that on 24th as it's the cars 40th Birthday then.

Well that didn't go entirely to plan - got everything apart except bolt on LH vertical link that secures dust shield is seized solid so brought it into work to apply a bit of heat and hold in big vice.

RH vertical link ball joint is totally knackered, sharp knock will probably knock it out of its socket  so got to order replacement today.

RH vertical link thread to trunnion looks very iffy and a bit corroded, snag is no-one has rh vertical links in stock and can't afford to go the trunnionless route so may have to go back on for now. Anyone got a spare one?

Been looking at those MGF uprights again.

Long way off wanting to use them though. Plan must be to use them, incl discs and brakes.

Hack off the ball joint carrier casting, make a bracket that bolts onto the machined face infront of the removed casting. That bracket takes a single 1/2 rose joint thats joined to an A arm, that should sort the top. Redrill the lower lug so a bolt can run though the entire casting to use a wide spaced H lower wishbone, wide as in using the outside of the lugs of the upright, shocker can be mounted to the wishbone on another bracket, no need for radius arms. Plug the existing hole on the lug that's not level with the other, weld it closed after plug/bolt is screwed in.

Use Metro shafts and Lobros/adaptors as per usual conversion.

Stick with a Triumph diff.

First part of this job won't involve any work on that stuff.

First job is less taxing and more fun.

That would be make a new "chassis" section that will house the top wishbones. A load of box section steel welded to the shock housings, as these will be retained for use with a coil-over. A forward box section coming off the shock housings will run horizontal to house wishbones then down inside the cabin after the wheel/arches/floor is sliced up neatly so they run through it to meet the chassis somewhere. Braced across.

Job one completed still leaves the car useable on the standard suspension before commiting to job 2.

Welder and proper gas bottle is required first, plus BMW free garage, then I can get my hands on it again in a tidy workshop!

Well, the Spit's just about to get woken from hibernation which started at the end of October.

Got new plugs to gap and fit before spinning it up. After that and a couple of shakedown runs I've got a couple of GT's progressive front springs to fit.

Then some minor niggles to to sort - got a pair of TSSC improved bonnet cones to fit to see if they can help keep the bonnet rattle-free for more than a few hundreds miles; found a small split in the soft top which can hopefully be sorted without having to cough up for a new top; suffering from very slow coolant loss which I am almost certain is down to the radiator started to get a bit tired and I'll need to use up the spare tyre I have in the garage to replace the N/S front which has picked up a couple of cuts somewhere.

Then the intention is to get out there and USE the damn thing...

As for the Saloon, well, lots to do there when I finally get round to pulling the finger out...  :B  ::)

What a pity, Dicky, when the Patent Anti-Corrosion Triumph System (PACTS, aka, permanent engine oil leak) has been working so well on the rest of the upright.   Nice coating of oily road dirt there - never rust!

Nhoj

Since I've had the car I thought I'd been pumping oil into it - however there was a lot of grease in the trunnion when I took it apart with just a bit of oil mixed in. Seal was also very hard and suspect its been half full of water.

Top ball joint was also totally shot yet felt fine if you tried to rock the wheel.

In contrast the LH side is in very good condition, ball joint fine and although there is some grease in the trunnion it's mainly oil. However the link is not covered in oil and had to use heat to get the bolt out that holds steering arm to link and sandwhiches brake dust plate in.

Both sides are having new ball joints, trunnions, bushes and polybushes, nuts and bolts and and new anti roll bar links. Means the old shocks and springs will now have to go back on but apart from a bit of rust which I have brushed off and painted they are in good useable condition.

Well, new plugs fitted and it's up and running again after the winter lay-up. Sounding nice and smooth even so I say it myself. Just one minor issue to deal with which was easily resolved by the application of some gentle encouragement to the starter motor via a 5lb lump hammer  ;D

Soft top re-blacked and proofed, fluids, tyres etc all checked so all ready to get going again when its taxed (Wed's the earliest I can tax it I think).

Haven't really done anything for ages. Car is parked far from home and awaiting spring.

Though last sunday The Mad Welder and I went to collect an engine for the 2000 mk1 Estate.

DSCN4683.jpg

Picked from a departed 2000 mk2 saloon (i think).

Cheers

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

No photos Roy?

What I'm doing with my car this week is putting it onto a trailer and taking it to a bloke I know to finish fettling it. I'm tired of the bugger, so it's time to shell out for the finishing touches methinks.

* OK, I'll duck and run if I have to.....*