Craig's GT6 MK3 in Aus.

You cant kill a Toyota. But you can wound them.  150 km's into the drive the radio died.  Then the heater went out in sympathy.  It's winter here in Aus, and while its not Norway cold, it is cold.  No matter, I plugged in my headphones, and fired up Stephen Fry's "The Liar", and put on a very very warm coat and two pairs of jeans.  The Hiace was loving the cold, and hit a new record of 110 downhill.  Wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding, but inertia rules!

Arrived in Sydney at 2am, gates were locked at the agreed rendezvous in the 'burbs, so I drove round till I found some level ground outside a market garden to park the Hiace.  She's shabby on the outside, but she's got an innerspring queen size mattress on a solid platform inside, and I had a couple of sleeping bags layered inside each other to combat the zero degrees celsius the thermometer slipped to.

After a good kip, I headed out to find the man I was there to see.

I work regularly as 2ic to a really interesting guy called David Benson.  His exploits are shown here.  http://www.extremeairads.com  Dave's an interesting guy.  Among other things he's a qualified Diesel Mechanic and Motor Trimmer.  For the last 20 years he's been the world expert creating, building, and delivering huge banners for advertising at events like grand prix's and airshows.  He's the world record holder for the biggest flag/banner ever delivered under parachute.  I've known him about 9 years, he's taken me round Australia and the world either jumping or photographing huge flags at airshows and the like.  With over 20 years in the sport, I'm a reasonably accomplished skydiver.  Dave's one of the people who got me there, and a lot more accomplished that me.

One of my photo's of Dave, in front of 100,000 people, Friendship Day Iwakuna, Japan.

IMG_4507.JPG

Dave lives up in Queensland, well over 1800 kms away, but when I bought some leather trim from Park Lane Classics back at christmas time, he told me in no uncertain terms that I wasn't to fit them myself.  "Hang on till them till may, we'll meet at Cliffy's when I come to Sydney, you'll see why."

Cliffy's a good mate of Dave's.  He's come on a few of our parachuting adventures as the ground crew, so I know him a little.  Quiet, soft spoken, with a wicked sense of humour and the ability to defuse tension between the type A personalities professional skydiving throws up, I like him a lot.  He spent 40 years as a motor trimer, and would still be running the company he build had 4 decades of that brutal work not rooted his fingers.

These days, Cliffy and his wife live on a beautiful bit of acreage nestled into the base of the Blue Mountains.  They share their retirement plot with some old horses and cows, a butload of kangaroos, a few wombats, a plethora of possums, and the occasional suicidal snake.  In the paddock next door to the homestead, Cliffy has a shed that is his retirement workshop, home to some delightful projects.  He works for love, not financial reward, and inside I found projects as diverse as Mustang, Jensen, Morris, Mercedes, Jag, and Mini interiors.  He only works on fascinating stuff these days.

Cliffy and Dave worked together as apprentices, and still have the easy familiarity of old workmates.  They pulled my new trim out, looked it over, declared it up to their standards, denounced the instructions as superfluous, and we set to work.

The old seats were truly buggered.

IMG_0072.JPG

IMG_0074.JPG

IMG_0084.JPG

IMG_0086.JPG

And the frames were cracked

IMG_0092.JPG

But once they were stripped, welded and ready, Cliffy got down to work.

IMG_0078.JPG

while Dave did the stuff that needed strength and finesse.

IMG_0097.JPG

It was a fascinating day.  Watching two guy's who are totally capable,and totally trusting in each others skills, working together with me as a spare wheel, (go get coffee? sure...  Put you finger here, well done.  Now step back).  I got to help a little, but mostly I watched and handed over what I was barked at to get.  

I'd also taken all the extra dash trim bits from  my car.  Once the seats were well underway, Cliffy looked through the box of bits, and decided they needed covering to.  He wandered down the shed, through back a dropcloth, and revealed his range of hides.  "Hmmm...  yep. she'll do.  A German hide.  We'll call her Helga"  With that, he came back with a perfect match for the Mercedes hide the seats and other bits from Park Lane were made from, colour and texture matching beautifully.  Helga then provided covering for all the dash/glovebox cushioning that used to be vinyl.

7 hours after we started, the seats, tunnel, handbrake cover, and dash cushions were all finished.  I didn't dare load them into the Van and drive home whilst the glue cooked off, so I headed back with Dave to his campsite for the week, and we headed out for dinner.  Cliffy's fee?  Less that I spent on diesel getting up and back.  Cliffy's explanation when I queried the paucity of the bill?

"I have two fee structures.  Fee one is for people who are restoring cars the right way, using their own hands.  Fee two is for people who restore cars using their chequebook, then claim to have done the work themselves."

Drove back Tuesday, 11 hour trip, an adventure unto itself.

All in all a great trip.

The result...

Here's a little of it.  

IMG_0109.jpg

I'll show more when I get it installed.  Park Lane Classic's work is superb.  I could have followed the instructions and done the work myself.  But what an education I got.

Craig

• 3 weeks later...

After much thought, copious measurement, four changes of plans, and then finally a decent brainwave, I was finally ready to make a couple more trips to Alan's workshop.

Together we* made these.

gallery_903_17_550356.jpg

For once, one of my designs worked out. Aren't they pretty?

What are they for?

gallery_903_17_1431292.jpg

I figure that if I'm going to build a megasquirt, it may as well have megaspark too. So, six individual LS2 coils. As used in the Hummer. Overkill? Sure! But I couldn't help myself! :yes:

Long weekend here in Aus, beautiful cold clear sunny days, so I spent the weekend skydiving. Nice surprise arrived from Harland Sharp, was waiting on the doorstep when I got home tonight.

gallery_903_17_816557.jpg

Mmmm.... Blingey... :banana:

Have a good week.

Craig.

* (Standard disclaimer regarding my us of the word "we" applies! :whistling:)

You are going to need a nice see-through polycarbonate rocker cover now blink.gif

Don't tempt me. I work for a plastics manufacturer occasionally...

Had an ugly end to the week. Took a bait somewhere and scored an interesting bout of food poisoning. No strenuous activity as a result. Most lying in bed distracting myself from the nausea by planning how to pour more money at the GT6.

Couple of good things in motion.

Got a couple more things moving though.

First, one of these has been lurking on the shelf for a while.

gallery_903_17_406.jpg

Nippon denso H073 (the 55amp version).

The original Lucas was pretty ugly, serviceable, but ugly.

gallery_903_17_229735.jpg

The original mounts using a spacer, and with the bolt running between the two flanges on the bottom side.

IMG_4985.JPG

I had a look at figuring out a mount a while back, but, had been put off by the need to build a spacer for both the top and bottom mounts. The H073 doesn't have double flanges on the bottom mount, and the connections of the new alternator sitting at the top, figuring out the length of spaces required and getting sufficient clamping force has eluded me.

Had another look this week, and realised I was being an idiot. :verymad:

When I spun it through 180 degrees, and put the connections at the bottom, the flanges fall into place like they were made for the job. The inner mounted flange (which is pre threaded for M8, lines up sweetly with the front of the GT6 extended mount (which takes an M8 nicely), the outer flange lines up with the water housing bolt, and the V pulley is nicely in line with the others. It's lower and needs to sit a little further out than the original pulley, so I needed to visit Alan briefly, where we* made up a bar with counter threaded rod ends. We* also made a couple of sleeves for the outboard end so they matched up to a 5/16 bolt.

gallery_903_17_198097.jpg

Lovely.

gallery_903_17_7043.jpg

IMG_4966.JPG

It even takes the same fan belt.

Wiring tomorrow.

• Like 1

I presume the LS2 coils don't fit direct on to the plugs? There's no space?

Have been considering COP solution as the cost of a decent set of leads feels like I may as well go COP.

Finding COP's with ignitors that wouldn't cause clearance problems was too damn hard, let alone expensive. The coils I picked up new out of the states for $25 each (shipped), compared to $80 here in Aus, and I was able to get a set of Magnecor 8.5's made up for $75 (about 50 quid).

The LS2's pack an incredible punch, much stronger than any COP's I could find, were relatively easy to mount, have built in ignitors, and well, the look gorgeous, especially since the wires went on.

I'd go out and get a photo, but a storms passing through, and the wind is blowing dogs off chains outside!

Craig

Motorcycle ones are cheap reliable and will fit 3-4" long. £30 for a set of four with the wiring to fire them. Most bikes of 5 years old and newer have these and they are very reliable against heat as they sit down inside the valve gear. Don't ask me how I know. Maybe I'm thinking of this too. :whistling:

Chris.

Went with the LS2's because they've got their own (powerful) ignitors, but can run straight out of MS3X without the need for extra ignition circuits. Bosch coil in Aus is $125, LS2's were $150. No brainer. The NCP LS2's are much more powerfull and work out cheaper than any COP I could find, and wire/setup straight out of MS3X with a known install. Simple, cheap, powerful, proven.

Wanted to get a lot done this weekend, but kept getting sidetracked. Saturday I dropped in on my parent's to see them for the first time since their latest jaunt round Europe (it's a biggish trip from here). Rang Dad before I left, got a not unusual "can't talk I'm driving", so stopped off to pick up a hands free kit. Couple of hours later we had it installed into their Toyota and I'll no longer be responsible if they crash while answering a call from me. Modern Toyota interiors really are Fisher Price click-apart toys, if you can't see a bolt or screw, pull till it comes apart. Since I was there, we watched our team win a footy match on the box, so dinner afterwards was a given. Lovely day, but no progress on the car.

Faffed around today, just couldn't get motivated. Too many plans, not enough action.

Eventually I forced myself out to the garage, faffed around a little longer, then decided to get something done. My plan for quite a while has been to keep flogging the poor carbied engine thats in the car (the on that sat in a shed for a decade and a half) till I was ready to throw in the new engine and EFi in one hit. Recently I've decided to change the plan. I'm going to pull apart the new engine, make sure it's as good as it can be, put in the TR5 cam, shave the head, and install roller rockers. Meanwhile, I'll install the EFI onto the current engine (A.K.A. "The mule"), and get it working and running before I put the new lump in. Lots of other stuff to do. Re-install the seats, install the carpet, chuck in the carpeting and sound/heat layer, rebuild the dash.

The EFI instal has other consequences with wiring, intakes, exhaust etc. So I've kept putting off getting started.

Today I looked down on this...

IMG_0782.JPG

and thought "Bugger it, lets get started."

So now I'm committed.

The stroms and intake are off.

IMG_4995.JPG

Which was a lot of fun. :verymad: Gotta love nuts that you have to turn one flat at a time...angry.gif

Eventually I was able to chuck on a couple of the modified intakes, the plenum and the fuel rail for a test fitting.

IMG_4998.JPG

Found problem number one.

The plenum is way close to the firewall. Might need to shave the end. Engine's as far back as I can get it, and I don't want to change that.

Problem two.

IMG_4999.JPG

Thats the throttle cable coming out of the firewall and hitting the plenum. Drat. Solvable I'm sure, but annoying.

Then I closed the hood (carefully!) and crawled underneath to check for fuel rail clearance.

IMG_5007.jpg

IMG_5008.jpg

IMG_5010.jpg

Not good. I was hoping for 15mm of clearance on the rail, I've got more like 9. And the injector electrical connectors are looking likely to be tight too.

Bugger. More thought needed.

Craig

Throttle cable usually comes out of the top of the baulk head by the master cylinders so you can re route the cable to here. The clearance is fine to the injector rail. If you want a little more then you can adjust the front of the bonnet up on the pivot boxes for a little more clearance. However you should be fine. All looking good mate. :thumbsup:

Ah hah... some action :thumbsup:

However, as you observe, modifications have consequences, major modifications have more - some foreseen, some not......

You can shorten the plenum by 6 - 8mm without changing its internal design at all - just grind off the the ringspot welded flange and reweld with MIG or TIG.

Throttle cable looks like needing a complete rethink.

9mm clearance to the fuel rail doesn't sound too dire - I think that's more than I have on the Vitesse (Although on that it's the throttle pot that's real close). Why are you using such big fuel rail - reckon the dash 6 will be fine (hope so - I'm using it!)

Cheers

Nick

Ah hah... some action :thumbsup:

However, as you observe, modifications have consequences, major modifications have more - some foreseen, some not......

You can shorten the plenum by 6 - 8mm without changing its internal design at all - just grind off the the ringspot welded flange and reweld with MIG or TIG.

Throttle cable looks like needing a complete rethink.

9mm clearance to the fuel rail doesn't sound too dire - I think that's more than I have on the Vitesse (Although on that it's the throttle pot that's real close). Why are you using such big fuel rail - reckon the dash 6 will be fine (hope so - I'm using it!)

Cheers

Nick

I can clearly see in the photos that the throttle (accelerator) cable is in the normal postion. Is this the choke cable that is in the way here?

The issue is going to be the JT connectors on the injectors more than the fuel rail — they do come in two lengths — some have longer "tails" than others so that is worth checking

Still not going to be great with the bonnet pressing down on electrical connectors