Giving up smoking

1977Triumph

My late father smoked most of his life.

He tried to stop but found it a challenge, until...

one day when he visited my mother in hospital and walked around the ward and saw many patients without legs and arms.

He thought it odd that there were so many amputees there and asked them why they were there?

All had the same answer:

Loss of circulation due to smoking.

He never smoked again.

All you hear about lung cancer, heart disease etc from smoking, but no one mentions the likelihood of losing limbs.

I have never touched a cigarette, but my wife smokes and that bothers me.

L

My Triumph is my drug of choice.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I weakened :'( had a puff on one realised what I was doing and chucked it. I got offered it and I automatically took it. Theres alot of smokers at work so I have made sure now that they DO NOT offer me one.

Hopefully tomorrow will be easier.

Make sure you let EVERBODY know that you have stopped, it stops being offered them in the first place.

The other thing is by making that statement, you reinforce your commitment to everybody.

I have STOPPED!

A friend of mine rang that NHS stop smoking number, they gave her some hints, referred her to her doctor who gave her some pills, probably just placebos.  To be honest, it seemed to be more about will power than anything else but she's never smoked since.

The strange thing is that I sometimes smoke a few ciggies when out with friends but have absolutely no deisire to smoke at any other time. I can smoke every day for a week and then not touch another for months or years.  Weird.

I noticed while I was getting my drug at the coffee kiosk that a pack can cost £6.20! It's amazing people can justify this. You could get a half-decent book for that!

I thought you quit? :)

Just roll ups with 2-3 small filters rammed in the end. Means I only smoke 2-3cm of tobacco at 6mm diameter with each cigerette, so probably far better for you than normal cigarettes where you smoke about 5x as much tobacco....3 filters, 3x as much crap filtered.

Plus roll-up tobacco is MUCH MUCH MUCH less processed and has far less chemicals and crap added and no salt peter to keep it burning.

If you're looking at alternatives then the will to quit is not there.

Pete Richards

I was just curious as to what the difference was, I have smoked roll ups in the past without filters and some brands of tobacco are so much smoother than "ready mades"

I am still off them, its going to be bloody hard tonight tho as GF will be wanting one or two. ( I leave Jony to make any comments on that one! ;D)

I was contemplating just cutting down to 1 or 2 a week, but given the advice on here it just seems to prolong the cravings.

Think im doing ok so far, I would have had probably 8-10 by now since yesterday morning.

Mike

Just quit outright....

Ironically they supercharge Marlboro's etc with some chemical, this makes the nicotine like crack-cocaine versus normal cocaine...ie the modified crack-nicotine type is MUCH more addictive and harder to get off, they supercharge those ready made things with all sorts of stuff. They don't do that with most rolling tobacco...

I tried to quit Marlboro's years back I had incredible cravings, just nuts. That was after weaning myself down to 1/2 a cigarette a day at about 11pm over a 1month period.

If you can make a week you're well on way. It'll take alot longer to readjust your brain, but your past the actual nicotine addiction and into pathological and psychological addiction then.

Good luck to anyone who's trying to give up.  It's the best health move you can make - forget organic food, mineral water, etc etc.

But plan it!

There are several sources of help and advice:

1/ Your GP's surgery.   Someone there, usually a Practice Nurse (down, boys!) will be a "Stop Smoking Adviser" who you can make an appointment to see.  With the GP, they can get you some of the following on prescription.  But there may be a waiting list.

2/ The Pharmacist at your local chemist can also advise you about the above, but choose a slack time, not Saturday AM.  All of the below (in 3) may be bought over the counter.

3/ "Nicotine Replacement treatment"  Chewing gum is not the only Opal Fruit!   The idea is that taking nicotine lessens the craving and allows you to deal with the other aspects of smoking that are addictive - 'doing something with your hands', the social aspects etc.   Nicotine is the addictive bit, but not the bit that causes disease.   All of the following have been shown to help.

The nicotine can come in:

Gum - needs to be used in a special way, not chewed like ordinary gum.   Advice on the packet or from the chemist where you buy it.

Patches - make sure you get the right strength!

Inhalers  - either like a Vick inhaler, that you breath up your nose, or an asthma inhaler.

Inhalers that look like cigarette holders are tres chic, but they keep you doing the 'hands' thing. Not so successful.

"Electric" cigarettes - look like a ciggie, even have a glowing tip.  They evaporate nicotine for you to breath.  Probably same disadvantage, but too new for research to have been done with them.

4/ Some tablets have been shown to help smokers stop, by reducing craving.  Presciption only, though

5/ If you have a family or partner, recruit them to do the same.  Work out your joint strategy.  Working together has been shown to lead to more success.

6/ And remember - people who succeed in stopping for good, have usually given up before, and lapsed back, several times before succeeding.

If you start again, resolve to stop again as soon as possible!

Good luck!

John

Cravings arent too bad now, like Dave says I think im past the nicotine cravings, GF had one last night, I think she might be persuaded to cut down if not stop entirely now i've stopped.

Im not using any nicotine replacement crap, just drags it out more IMO. I have got some spearmint wrigleys extra tho  ;D mainly to get some glucose which supposedly helps with cravings as it tricks your brain into thinking you are eating, or so they said on the one show tuther day.

I figure if I can make the weekend without one, that will be it, i'll be finished with em.

Mike

Did I mention when I quit I did a bit of a psycological thing and scrunched up a nearly new packet of fags so I couldn't smoke them, thought it might help reinforce the "YOU WILL STOP" thinking.

Hmm - are you sure you want to stop. Yesterday you missed your daily intake of

Acetaldehyde

Acetamide

Acrylamide

Acrylonitrile

2-Amino-3,4-dimethyl-3H-imidazo[4,5-f]quinoline (MeIQ)

3-Amino-1,4-dimethyl-5H-pyrido [4,3-b]indole (Trp-P-1)

2-Amino-l-methyl-6-phenyl-1H-imidazo [4,5-b]pyridine (PhlP)

2-Amino-6-methyldipyrido[1,2-a:3',2'-d]imidazole (Glu-P-1)

3-Amino-l-methyl-5H-pyrido {4,3-b]indole (Trp-P-2

2-Amino-3-methyl-9H-pyrido[2,3-b]indole (MeAaC)

2-Amino-9H-pyrido[2,3-b]indole (AaC)

4-Aminobiphenyl

2-Aminodipyrido[1,2-a:3',2'-d]imidazole (Glu-P-2)

0-Anisidine

Arsenic

Benz[a]anthracene

Benzene

Benzo[a]pyrene

Benzofluoranthene

Benzo[j]fluoranthene

Benzo[k]fluoranthene

Benzofuran

Beryllium

1,3-Butadiene

Cadmium

Catechol (1,2-benzenediol)

p-Chloroaniline

Chloroform

Cobalt

p,p'-DDT

Dibenz[a,h]acridine

Dibenz[a,j]acridine

Dibenz(a,h)anthracene

7H-Dibenzo[c,g]carbazole

Dibenzo(a,e)pyrene

Dibenzo(a,i)pyrene

Dibenzo(a,h)pyrene

Dibenzo(a,i)pyrene

Dibenzo(a,l)pyrene

3,4-Dihydroxycinnamic acid (caffeic acid)

Ethylbenzene

Ethylene oxide

Formaldehyde

Furan

Glycidol

Heptachlor

Hydrazine

Indeno[1,2,3-cd]pyrene

IQ 92-Amino-3-methyl-3H-imidazo[4,5-f]quinoline)

Isoprene

Lead

5-Methyl-chrysene

2-Naphthylamine

Nitrobenzene

Nitrogen mustard

Nitromethane

2-Nitropropane

N-Nitrosodi-n-butylamine (NDBA)

N-Nitrosodi-n-propylamine (NDPA)

N-Nitrosodiethanolamine (NDELA)

N-Nitrosodiethylamine (DEN)

N-Nitrosodimethylamine (DMN)

N-Nitrosoethylmethylamine (NEMA, MEN)

4-(N-Nitrosomethylamino)-1-(3-pyridinyl)-1-butanone (NNK)

N'-Nitrosonornicotine (NNN)

N-Nitrosopiperidine (NPIP, NPP)

N-Nitrosopyrrolidine (NPYR, NPY)

Polonium-210 (Radon 222)

Propylene oxide

Safrole

Styrene

Tetrachloroethylene

o-Toluidine (2-methylaniline)

Trichloroethylene

Urethane (carbamic acid, ethyl ester)

Vinyl acetate

Vinyl chloride

4-Vinylcyclohexene

2,6-Xylidine (2,6-dimethylaniline)

:o :o :o :o

Cheers

Nick

ps: these are just the things that are related to cancer - there are about 4-7.000 more additives in the fags

It isnt hard giving up smoking Dianes father gave up easily.............he died of lung cancer, he never saw his daughter marry, he never saw his grandchildren, he came from an era that just smoked.

I gave up 30 years ago and it was not hard once you actually make your mind up and convince yourself that you are not a smoker.

I just hate the bunches of (ugly women cos it makes their face crack) stupid idiots that huddle outside pubs and clubs puffing away.

I cannot think of a single reason apart from stupidity that prompts the young to start.

I also resent giving money to the treasury to waste.