Vegas Race is over...

I think the GT manifold is a way forward.  Still some details to sort there so I can't say much yet.  Forged pistons definately and the new motor will be sixty over versus the 40 we'rer running now.  Next cam will be hotter as well if I can get some lifters.  Kai Radicke here in the US says he has the good ones but he won't answer my Emails.  No matter what, I won't have a competetive engine in time for the last race of the season November 7th.

I'm arguing over just putting in the Yellow car's motor.  But can I really tolerate running midpack just to run?  There's a lot of psychology involved there since I'm not running for the champioship.  I chose to skip the Buttonwillow race which put me out of the chase.  That was another reason I played with Gary, He's still in the hunt.  So  it boils down to just running versus staying home.  I think any race is better than no race!  I'll keep moving forward at this point;-))

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jealousy Steve, tis a hard mistress!! :)

Out of interest, what was Gary's take on the situation?? Must have given him some food for thought?

Good luck for the rebuild, sounds like it could be a corker in the making!! What is it you are looking for out of interest (if it is not giving too many trade secrets away)?? More torque low down, or power at the top?? I understand GT's mani has big improvements at the bottom end?

I think you should give the Yellow engine a blast, cause a) it gets you out racing, and B) will give you the best indication as to what needs (or doesn't need) doing to it!! Just remember that it is not a motorbike eh.

I feel your pain as someone who has done the same before, mis-selecting 1st at 8000 rpm makes a great noise, like the biggest swarm of the angry-est bees has suddenly invaded the engine bay.

It time allows get the spare engine in and race; it might be the other guys turn to screw up now.  As someone with a mediocre engine at the moment (albeit in a great car) it’s been a surprise this year how many class podiums I’ve picked up as others fall by the wayside

And Steve, next time you get in front – stay there you Muppet, save the waving for the victory lap  ;)

Andy

Tough luck Steve but as we all know these things happen.  As people used to say to me it's all character building.  My reply I don't need any more character building!  My guess is you'll throw any engine in and get out for the last race and enjoy it.  Just make up for the lack of power with experience and driving skills.

Pete Richards

The camera was declared missing at the same time as a valve cap, several pushrods and so on..... no idea what it was doing in the engine though  :-/ perhaps Steve was doing his own valve train analysis and that's the real reason for 10,000 rpm  :P

I too await pics with interest.... I think.... :-/

Nick

I'm amazed none of the alloy rocker arms broke.

To be honest I was expecting more carnage; pistons not holed, valvestems in one piece.

Moments later... missing three pushrods, one valve spring retainer cap and one camera...

What was the camera doing in the engine?

Frederick

Frederick, we've not opened the bottom end or the trans yet.

What I meant was the bottom was stong enough for the rpm's, but the valvetrain wasn't.

Doesn't look like this:

DSC00055.JPG

I wonder if there's some way of engineering a weak link into some part of the drivetrain that gives way before the engine can spin itself to destruction?

Steve most likely has a rev limiter, but that doesn't help in situations like this.

Don't know of any other devices, perhaps a transmission lock out?

F.

I was thinking of some sort of one-way free wheel system that allows a certain amount of reverse torque to cover engine breaking, but which fails and breaks the connection between gearbox and engine beyond a certain limit.

Another method would be to have an electrical solenoid actuating the clutch when the revs get to say 8000+ rpm?

Good noise, been there done that, drove it home 10miles :)

Me too - more like 5 miles though.  Don't reckon mine would have shown up on piston heights tho - not without a dti anyway.  I think Steves will look more like that TR6 one we saw earlier in the year - just with a smaller hole......

Why do you need a new head Steve?

Nick

Hmmm, that's a strong indication........ relatively modest hole though...... JB weld?  :P

Nick

I've epoxied my favourite old block closed before but I suspect I'll want a linebore on this one before doing that.  I've just got to be sure to mark it so I remember it needs some careful inspection.

That said, I'll be suspicious of reusing anything from this engine due to the violence of the incident. :(

Oooh, It's starting to get messy.

First, I find all kinds of holes punched into my beautiful alloy dry sump pan.  Can't be good...

Vegasdownshifterror002-1.jpg

Then I lift the pan to find all this debris...This is where I left to buy a new camera cuz this has GOT to be documented...

Vegasdownshifterror009.jpg

And here's the #2 rod looking a little battered.  Haven'y yet found why the engine won't turn.  Maybe this rod or perhaps the chain is all piled up from where the cam parted ways...

Vegasdownshifterror005.jpg

More to come. :o