Wheel/rim, tire/tyre sizes

Greetings folks,

I have been searching around for wheel/tire combinations when I found a nice looking set-up on a car at www.prorace.com.

I sent an e-mail enquiring about the size and received the following response.....

".....You will have to raise your car like a four-wheel-drive truck so the fenders don’t cut the tires. Only our kit allows the car to be lowered without clearance issues ....."

This started me wondering what the members of the forum have done.

So, my question is…

What wheel (diameter/width/offset) and tire combinations have been used and what modifications were required in order to fit the wheel/tire combination?

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Jeff

Hmmmph! Sounds like PRI Race to me. "Only our kit"... yep, sounds like them.

Jeff, where are you and what's your car? There are a lot of Heralds and Spitfires with alloy wheels which didn't need any modifications, as alloys are made by numerous manufacturers with a variety of offsets. If Mr PRI tells you that only his wheels fit because he has the correct spacers, it's because he's fitting wheels designed for a front wheel drive car. I think some of his wheels look good, but spacers are poor engineering, putting strain on wheel studs. He also uses wheels with a 100x4 stud pattern, which isn't necessary because several manufacturers sell wheels with the Triumph stud patterns.

I have Superlite alloys (a Minilite replica) on both my Heralds. One has 13x5.5 alloys with 175/70 13 tyres, the other has 15x6 with 195/50 15s. The rolling radius of the different tyres is almost identical. Andre Rousseau's Mk1 GT6 also runs 15" wheels, and I don't think he needed to modify the wheel arches to fit them.

Hope this helps,

Nick

are you aware thatyou posted a link to a ski manufacturer?

You have got to be more specifiq. Which car do you have? Which size of wheels are you thinking of? Give us a bit of details to work with please.

All my alarm bells are ringing when a manufacturer says "only our kit allows to...." He is probly talking bollocks - sounds like PRIRACE con artists to me.

Cheers

Nick

Not racing. I just think the 15" and 16" look better and 13" and 14" tires are usually special order items (at least in north Texas).

The rear is being converted to CV axles and rotoflex uprights with fully adjustable suspension, so there will not be the normal camber issue.

I have reads where some folks are running 205/45 on 16X7 rims and, although the tires fit, they are a bit close for comfort. GT5R is running the ONLY set of 16X6 rims that I have heard of (not sure of the tire size). I believe the only modification I have read about is where some folks have had to modify the fender lip to add a bit of clearance. I have seen LOTS of 15" rims mantioned.

There is one thread on the forum where folks have listed the main specs of their cars (including wheels and/or tires) but there does not seem to be any mention of the work it takes to fit the larger tires.

It'll be a bit nasty to drive on all but glass smooth roads!

No sidewall, these are classic cars they need a nice deep sidewall to work at all. You need some tyre flex, as suspension.

To be honest in Europe and the UK everyone uses 13" or 14"...

I've never considered using anything else, I'll still use 185/55/14 with 180HP!

I would consider using a 205/50/14 or such like...Thats it.

The offset of the wheels has to be considered, as the tyre may fit ok, but the offset of the rim dicates where the tyre will be in relation to the wheel arches/lips. If you got rims with the correct offset (bespoke) you may not need to change anything.

You'll probably need to roll the fender lips up though or bash them up though...You need to use a special tool to do this correctly, a modifying / wheel shop should have this tool, it bolts to the wheelhub and you "roll" the arches buy using the tool best warm the paint up a bit to make it flexible so it will not crack..

You need to consider and measure what rims you need very carefully. PRI just have the right measurement of offset, no reason you can't replicate their setup...It's just a wheel afterall, they just buy them off the shelf...

You often need to do this on 185 tyres! Let alone 205 etc.

There are people here using 15" MGF sportcar wheels...

I am the opposite to you, I dislike big wheels! :)

IMG_4645.jpg

If I get some new rims they will be 13", I don't think these 14"s handle as well as the smaller rim. For me thats all that counts. I think these rims look quite big...

A few people have fitted 15" wheels from MGF's, they are 15x6 and work fine, with the exception of the rears sufferening a little with camber changes. I had 205/45 on the back, needed the arches rolled vey slightly when I went to CLM FULLY loaded. If I had replaced the tyres I would have gone to 185/55 or maybe 195/50. Reckon just a change of studs to 12mm ford ones would do it.

Sorry, don't know the offset, but googling mgf wheels should yield results. I think they are available as 16 and 17" as well, but that may well be too much, although Vin with th bananamobile had 16" wires at one point I believe.

Clive

I have mgf 15" 6J with 185 55 15 on front and 205 50 15 on rear. its a mk3 GT6 with rotoflex, I had to cut the shock mounting point from the inner arch off and mount the shock to the chassis. I changed the studs to Landrover Freelander ones but the original ones are way to small anyway. I would never go back to the old 13" 4.5j very scary but i would go to a good wide 14" :D

I think it's the typical course of progress...

Buys car to modify - comes with crappy old skinny tyres

Puts on new fancy wheels, wide tyres, gets it all aligned and proclaims improved handling

Having said that I will be going for wider rubber on my Spit next time

what made me get rid off the 155 was turning at 15mph at a right hand bend on going striaght on, and it was a dry day. all in all if i were to have put better tyres on the car i would have been very pleased. but one wheel had a big flat spot on the rim so i got the mgf ones (only cost me ?50 for the wheels)  ;D it then cost me £23.50 fo new bigger studs, £103 for wheel nuts (got them from rimmers, if I would have waited a week could have got them for half that.) and a pair of new tyres for the front toyo proxys the reas had new tyres on them.  

so all in all about £250 to swap. did feel loads better but as you rightly point out james I could have gone for some better tyres. when i have the spare cash may go for some 14" 4 spoke revolutions :D