A new member with a Stag

Mole42

I’m resident in Bristol, I have a Triumph Stag which gets abused in all weathers and fully maintained by myself.

I’m interested in historic rallying, the Stag is good for longer touring events but now I’m hunting for something else, such as a Mk2 Vitesse  or a Dolomite 1850 or maybe even a Toledo for the short and twistys.

Richard

Hi Richard and welcome,

Another south westerner here, about 40 miles south of Bristol between Yeovil and Taunton.  Decent Mk2 Vitesses (especially saloons) and perhaps even more so Dolly 1850s are getting hard to find at reasonable money these days.  Could also consider a Herald as they make a respectably nippy little car, especially with Spit 1500 running gear.

Nick

Thanks Nick,

I’ve also done RBRR twice (1990 and 2016) and marshalled it too. I’m not quite crazy enough do it again, but slightly too crazy to say I never will.

The Herald is a super car but we might as well keep using the Spitfire, I really want something bigger. I used to rally a 2.5PI back in the last century and I’d go for another of those but they are getting costly. My business  used to have an 1850 as a loaner car, I wish I’d kept that :-)

Richard

17 hours ago, Mole42 said:

’ve also done RBRR twice (1990 and 2016)

Hmm.... 26 years for the horror of the first one to wear off.....  I did my only one in 2008, so still a few years to go before the memory is dulled enough :tongue:

I like to marshal towards the end so I get reminded why I'm marshalling!

My 2.5PI was quite beast once (mostly) sorted.  Champion mile-muncher (1127 miles in 30 hours on an HCR is the standing record).  I never quite bonded with it - it didn't like me and used to unfix itself as fast as I could fix it.

I liked my 1850 too. 1974 with manual O/D.  A right sheddy looking object (as one might expect for £100), but solid.  Did nearly 20k in it in one year and sold it to my brother, telling him to keep it no more than a year.....  After that year it started going wrong, seriously and often...... family warranty is a royal pain!

A Dolomite Sprint is a good car. Probably expensive and rare nowadays. Owned one about 30 years ago, NNH 3P felt fast, compared to my previous car, a Mk3 Spit. The Sprints previous life by the sea had taken its toll. A mates earlier Sprint, think it was a 72/73 car was solid, got the feeling at the time that the earlier Dolomites where less prone to rot.

I can't afford a Sprint, even though I'd like one, and when I'm struggling for grip and scrabbling sideways I don't want to have to remember how much it may cost to fix!

ISTR that there were problems with locally-sourced steel in 1973 so supplies were purchased from a southern European country that didn't put quite as much carbon in the steel, it rusted quicker.....