Stag intake manifolds and plenum take 2

30 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

I can only think of one offering the conversion...... beginning with M...?

Good progress indeed - getting exciting :smile:.  Coils being coil-near-plug from an GM LS or similar?

You've got it in one Nick, honestly it was appalling, nearly lost my diff one time as the adaptor plate snapped due to all, the stress risers in it.

Yes coils are ls2 truck coils, they pack a massive punch. I can gap the plugs at 40thou.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

Nearly ready to run, looks like.....

A few more days Nick, pressure test failed, I found the leak with leak detecting spray. I need to make a mod to the core plug adaptors which involves taking the manifolds back off again. Hay to.

Steve

14 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

Suspect you will find some differences in the new map. MAP based load sensing will notice the change in inlet I reckon.

For sure Nick, upping the required fuel was just a fudge to get it running although it drove around the block quite nicely. I'll call upon the services of shaun at MS tune to dial it in (I know my limitations ) he will have it optimised in about 1-2 hours and charge about £130 That's for him to drive 200 miles to my house included in that price. It would take me months to learn all I would need to know about tuning to get me anywhere near shaun tune and I would always be worried I might damage the engine with the wrong timing etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Not mapped on the rollers?

Will be quite hard to fully map without rollers as will be going damn quick in the high load/rpm areas in any gear that will load it enough, for long enough to be useful.....

But very curious to see how it stacks up against the last version.

Shaun at MS tune maps it live while I drive it, think we hit 90mph last time. I could pay for a long roller session and Shaun to tune it but it would be a lot more expensive and not worth it in Shauna opinion. A quick roller check for a few quid afterwards is just for my info. Even without the remap I can already feel it pulling lower down than before.

Steve

Doesn’t need a long roller session. If the car is mostly road mapped then two or three pulls will see the areas you can’t legally reach on the road done. Then a bit of time spent optimising ignition timing in the cruise areas. 1 hour should do it. 2 tops.

Ignition timing optimisation arguably the more worthwhile if you only drive it on the road anyway.

21 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

Doesn’t need a long roller session. If the car is mostly road mapped then two or three pulls will see the areas you can’t legally reach on the road done. Then a bit of time spent optimising ignition timing in the cruise areas. 1 hour should do it. 2 tops.

Ignition timing optimisation arguably the more worthwhile if you only drive it on the road anyway.

I might go this route for the final tweaking Nick

Having dyno'ed my stag with the new manifold today i'm pleased with the extra torque shown right across the board, i already could feel that this was the case but nice to get it confirmed on the same rollers as the MK1 manifold session.Blue line is the new set up, red is the old. I have a slight difference in bank AFR so we have tuned to the lean side for safety to the engine but i will be looking at this as the dyno guy said he noticed it as well and there was more to come if we sort that out. The difference could be fuel rail disign, injectors differing in flow rates or lastly but unlikely the ecu fuel triggers giving slightly longer on one bank. 200FtLb of torque i'm happy with that (for now lol) Cheers Steveimage_39248.jpg.8437546a4c6247c4b17ccba7f4741c07.jpg2

20190403_095331.jpg

25 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

Very respectable! The Audi 2.8 v6 makes 192 bhp and 207 lb/ft but has 5v per cylinder to do this.

Proves the true potential of the Stag engine.

yes a very nice set of numbers for a 1960's designed engine (all be it plus all your work!) :craig:

like Nick. as a further later comparison my Scorpio's mid 1990's Cosworth quad cam V6 2.9 24 valve engine with variable induction system makes 210 bhp @6k and 206 ft/lbs @4.5k - and Cosworth spent millions developing it for FORD. so being in the same ball park with all your own work and something that is road going not race spec is to be much admired!

alan