Brakes For 13" Steel Wheel.

Hi guys,

Just looking at brakes, I know upgrading the pad goes a massive way as I remember the improvement of Mintex pads on my GT6.

However, the brakes are in a really bad way on my Spitfire at the minute and really not in the condition I would rebuild so I am looking at options that will fit in the 4.4J standard steel spitfire wheel without a spacer.

So what options are there? Links will be appreciated.

I also may switch to GT6 uprights and GT6 callipers with discs and pads if there are no other suitable options

So suggestions with a GT6 upright are welcome if they fir in the steel wheel.

The rear will be GT6 rear drums if that helps with what people can suggest.

Cheers

The GT6 option is a very good one.

The alternative is the "princess" calliper, or the modern equivalent, which will fit your existing uprights, and use the GT6 disc with the existing hub. 

Simple and effective. You can even use the capri vented disc and spaced callipers if worried you may cook the brakes. That is the option I have gone for (std spaced GT6 callipers on trunnionless uprights)

There is a Hi-Spec alloy caliper available.......

http://www.hispeccalipers.co.uk/ul4pri.html

.........which is more or less a lightweight copy of the old Princess 4 pot and bolts straight up to the Spitfire link.  You use these either with a solid GT6 disc or Xantia/Capri 2.8 if you want vented - just order the right caliper to match.

They also do a version to replace the Girling type 16 as used on GT6/Vitesse

http://www.hispeccalipers.co.uk/ul4m16.html

However, if going that route (GT6 vertical link) you could also buy these new M16 calipers already designed for vented discs and actually cheaper than many re-con units which would then need spacing for a vented disc.  You'd need the shouldered bolts as used on late TR6s but otherwise a direct fit

Nick

Standard GT6 brakes will work really well on a Spitfire. I put these on my Herald and couldn't wish for better.

My GT6 has Canley Classics' big brake kit. They haven't been tested yet, but the parts fitted together perfectly, with none of the filing and trimming some aftermarket kits and parts need. They probably won't fit inside standard steel rims though, as the discs are larger than GT6 discs. That's part of how it works though - the same clamping force further out from the centre of the wheel means greater braking force. The calipers are made by AP, so the pads and seals should be available way into the future.

• 4 weeks later...

I recall after I lowered the car with the Comp Dept 550 lbs/in front springs, and the swing-spring with longer Spitfire axles, I found that the 1500 had larger shoes and cylinder dia vs the 68 GT6 oem, so I went with that. With the car lowered, less weight tranfer to front when braking, so the larger spit cylinders helped prevent front tire lock-up.

sleepr,

What will you use your Spitfire for?

"The brakes are in a bad way"   In what way?  Not fit for a rebuild, you say.

Gosh!  Discs worn away? Calipers rotted?   Rear drums as thin as paper?   Sorry, I just don't believe you!

All possible, but Spitfire brakes in original condition are perfectly good for almost any road use, short of descending the Furka Pass as fast as possible, when some fade may occur.

Yes, track days and racing may cause fade too, when a vented disc is the best mod, to promote cooling.  You don't mention which Mintex grade you use - 1144 is fine for the road, 1155 good for track and race, with venteds.

KISS as they say!

JOhn

Hi John,

I probably could rebuild them after having a good look today although I don't see it as worth it. The callipers are very very rusty and the pipes had been cut and i drained some water out, all the seals look shot. The front trunnions seem very worn looks like there has been little servicing. 

I did run the mintex on my old spitfire and they were great but if iI am going to the expense of rebuilding the spitfire ones iI wondered about upgrades. TBH I am probably going to just swap it all for GT6 stuff.

I will be doing the occasional track day and fast road day to day stuff. Had brake fade before and its not fun aproaching a corner, all be it it was not the mintex stuff it was crappy green stuff pads.  

I know what I am doing at the rear and I will be using rotoflex uprights so I will be using GT6 rear drums probably with mintex lined shoes so makes sense to use GT6 front too.