Front Outriggers

vitesse203

I bought some new front outriggers for the Vitesse from a well known supplier but I am very disappointed with the quailty so I shall be sending them back. It's not even as good as the repaired one I've taken off Made from a thinner gauge steel and tapered the whole lenght. No pictures of the part on the site so I bought unseen. I have since bought some other ones,from another well known supplier, that look to be the same as the 'original'  ones I fitted back in '94, just have to see what they look like when they arrive. I will also be replacing the side rails but with 50 mm box section and adding another body mounting point forward of the mid section outrigger. 

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

Chic's outriggers arrived in less than 2 days and they looked like the orginals and were a whole 0.2 mm thicker that the others I'd ordered (and sent back). Cutting off the side rails showed a fair bit of deformed metal around the body mounting points. I've welded new outrigger and a 50 mm box section side rail to the drivers side and stripped the suspension and turret from that side. Progress has not been help by my wife becoming injured with a bad hip, 6 weeks down the line and they are finally finding, after 2 xrays an ultra sound scan, a bone density scan and soon, hopefully an MRI scan,out that she may have torn a ligament - and a piece of bone - off her hip.  She has nearly her whole week booked up with hospital and doctors appointments. So I've been pressed into dog walking duties. Also being down to one car as the BMW still misbehaves and wants a new rad now after all the attention the rest of its cooling sytem has had, has meant that we've had to borrow our daughters Corsa to keep our world spinning - this also has a visable engine check light, I would say I'm not surprised as it has always sounded like it was dying since it first turned up on our drive 2 1/2 years ago - a present from Nan. Although it has required very little attention aside from servicing! No 1 son first car I rebuit 2 or 3 times in the first year - from crashes! The check light is for the EGR which is on my list for Christmas jobs to do...............

Paul

post-1777-0-40587600-1418685270_thumb.jpg

Just as well the outriggers fit the bill. If they had been "inadequate" your week could have been classified as a complete write off. Hope your wife gets sorted soon, (Insert your preferred deity here, or not, as the case may be) bless the NHS, or not, as the case may be. :)

I really hope my wife gets sorted soon. Walking and running are her escape. She has been under almost constant medical supervision for over 15 years since an op she had then. The most recent before this, though it has now been dragging on for 2 years or so, is why she is passing blood and needing regular blood infusions as she is not retaining iron( a 6-8 inch ulcer ). She has a draw full of meds that need taking each day and yet still gets up and does things. She has recently started making crafty things out of pegs and old jars and is selling them at the local coblers. We have had to sue the NHS before as they, or rather the consulant (I was there) was convinced - in his arrogance even knowing all of my wifes history - one problem was diet. Sues weight had dropped to about 41/2 stone. A second opinion at a different hospital and it was found that ulcers upon ulcers were blocking what is left off her bowel. (I have seen the pictures). Had we not got a second opinion my wife would have died. She is suposed to have 4 yearly bone density scans the last one was 9 years ago. With her hip at first she was told there was no problem as the xrays showed nothing. The physio told her to get on with it and gave her some exercises. She tried walking the dogs and I've never seen her in so much pain. So please send all your luck to my wife as she really does need it at he moment.

Paul

• 1 month later...

It appears to be double skinned/sleeved  to 3/4 of the way through the outrigger mounting point. I have been thinking of the best way to repair it with extra strenght because as you say it does have a lot of stress around that point. It is also holed through Nick.

Oh deep joy.

I really don't love welding upside down.........

Paul

Paul,

You're not really confronted with an enviable work there. But once it's done and all the cavities waxoiled for eternity, you can be proud of the result...

Are the side rails still in good shape?

How are you actually stabilizing the tub, while chassis members are being removed? 

Cheers,

Patrick

Paul, I've heard of Heralds actually breaking at that point, so the repairs need to be done properly. Better than I could, certainly, my welding skills are pretty crude. Have you considered removing the body to gain better access? It should take less than a day, and if it means you can properly see and repair the rust, I'd call it a day well spent.

Plan B: When I found rust in my Herald's chassis main rails, I found another chassis, had it dip galvanised, painted it in POR-15 and carried out the swap over a weekend. That was at least fifteen years ago though - it might take a while to find a good chassis nowadays. Still, the 'new' chassis remains in good condition, so it was worth it.

I don't need to remove the tub for better access. Drivers side has been done - replaced front outrigger and side rail. Side rail is 50 mm box section. Front passenger side of the tub is held by a jack though there was no deflection down with the front outrigger removed. Salon is a bit less flexi.  I'm fairly confident of my welding.  A new chassis would be good but untill then make do and mend.

Paul

Looking much better now. Don't forget to drill a drain hole in the new outrigger - just next to the main rail.

Doing another one in the frame there could prevent further rot from inside too.

Eh - and check the condition on the other side - you can always start with grinding off the part that covers the main rail. 

Edited by JMH