Vehicle: Gt6

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Nick,

I had problems with the tacho drive and the rear lower part of the T9 touching the cross member of the chassis.

Grinding could have been the solution there, but the clearance issue with the air filters of the webers stopped me pushing the engine / T9 further back (or removing battery from front to boot..and butchering there a bit).

Martin

• 2 months later...

Pics as wanted

very tight, I had to hammer a bit at the oil pan side and to grind there a bit at the block

Martin please can you tell me if this is this manifold, the one listed under Moss as part numbers TT1740x & link pipe TT52221.

If so I'll probably be giving them a call :thumbsup:

Thanks Martin :thumbsup:

It looks like they sell two types of collector for it, one to fit the twin pipe TR6 system and one to a single pipe exhaust system.

It may or may not be equal length primaries but it sure as hell looks a lot closer than the phoenix effort.

TT or Mike the Pipe (Gareth). There is a way to tell them apart (which pair goes over the top in the centre set IIRC?) but forgotten which is which.

Nick

Surprised that TT do still sell them BTW. I have rung on at least two separate occasions to enquire (both a few years back now) to be told that they haven't made/sold them for ages!

try this.

post-1066-0-38035900-1370184760_thumb.jpg

That would be a manifold for the saloon (MR).

There were 2 sizes of primary, one ostensibly for 2L, and to pass the SU manifold (Gair has one).

Witor organised all that stuff (no comment).

The other was slightly bigger and was sliced around to miss the PAS and give not clearance to any engine mount (because it's on the front timing cover on a 2.5Pi.)

If you try to fit one of those in a Vitesse or GT6 it simply won't fit.

I discovered the "TT"imitation manifold was apparently done by "DB", nr Twickenham.

I forget the name of the co at the time.

I think it was actually Hurrell organised the thing, because he was getting embarrassed by my manifolds.

There's starting to be some advantage in knowing what went on in the Msport industry in and around London, (and of course inevitably Hethel).

(DB, was one of the old hands from TDC.....who were on the DFV gravy train.

Vic Derrington, actually sort of started that whole thing off, then his son, once Vic had gone (DIED) "tried to take over", but that sort of didn't go down too well with the boys.....)

I now know about all this stuff, and who did what.

I also know the other stories now, as the boys that make my valves were in on the same thing.

The DFV helped put an awful lot of people on the map back in the 70s, and by the 80s they were looking for other stuff to do, as atmo was being done "in house" and then moved protos in motorsport s/s & Inconel tooled in Slough.

You would have loved to have seen the Honda V12 3.5L manifold done there, they were gorgeous.

The remaining mild steel guys didn't want to tool up for s/s so Eg. LH went with stuff like the 6R4.....

"DB" is still alive, but went off to the states, so the likelihood of getting anything hand made from Moss would be ZERO.

One day when the skills have all died in the UK, someone will write a book about the death of the British motorsport industry.

Oh, while I was at it, I forgot to mention. OT again.

As of last week, we do appear finally to have a back to back comparison of the last s/s motorsport manifolds directly compared with the mild steel one produced for the last 2-3yrs, and be able to compare it with the torque characteristics of the older mild steel ones from Baudoin (France) and MR (London).

It does appear to have been another "golden period".

The m-sport s/s manifold does produce the goods, but there will not be any more.

I can honestly say, the reaction has been predictably exactly the same as the old days, with T Hurrell.

We had "qualified" multiple interventions from people like G Brady, (popping in for his personal "recommendations" all over the web) who has never in fact ever seen the m-sport stainless steel ones nor the last mild steel ones, nor ever put one on a dyno....

On the other hand I had one of the best acousticians in the world right now, take one look at my exhaust, and he immediately wanted one. (for his Jag).

I explained to him just last week, all the different results with the different iterations of the roughly similar idea.

I can't help have a certain wry, black sense of humour after all is said and done, and so has he.

When you see a 40ftlb difference in torque between one manifold and another it makes you think.

When you see a DOUBLE torque value at 3000-3500rpm between one manifold and another, it even makes my eyes pop out to this day... :woot:

Sorry for one more input on this, as it's of personal interest.

Moss (Hurrell) apparently had his (copy) manifolds done by SE. (DB as I said),- who was of course a colleague of Mike Randall at TDC all those years ago.

I did some checks and that company was dating back to 1990, which again makes sense, although it appears that it was working right through the 80s as well.

As far as I can see, was showing flaky as of end 2002 & disappeared from view in 2003.

It wouldn't suprise me seeing Moss still listing a manifold in their catalogue that clearly hasn't been remotely possible to make for at least 10-12 years.

TBQH, I have no idea how many were sold, but they do appear very occasionally, and appear to have been done principally for TR6.

They were all done the same way as MR.

Ie.- Jig built, old welding rods used for setting up lengths on the jig (a bundle of welding rods being left over on a shelf somewhere), and bending done with a big flame torch, having filled the pipe first with sand and a bung nice and firm.

It's nice to watch these old craftsmen at work, it teaches first class respect for manual skills, which not suprisingly is "right up my street".

Do people want to learn stuff like this, even in Eastern Europe?

Anyone want to learn to do a dirty noisy job today?

How many kids want to take the trouble to learn to play a musical instrument to any level?

Pretty much sums it up.

Bugger it, I phoned up Moss Europe and they have them in stock according to the guy on the phone,

Just ordered Moss as part numbers TT1740x & link pipe TT52221 lets see what turns up :blink:

May run into one or two clearance issues making it fit but I doubt it can be any worse than the Phoenix effort from what I have read and as it looks to be mild steel I reckon it will be easier to work with.

Sorry Martin for the thread drift :whistling:

I'll open a new thread when it comes.

When i was in Moss in Hanworth a couple of years ago i had a look at the 1740,it looked fairly well formed with decent primaries and bends,they had 19 left at that point.It was mild steel.

The colector wasn`t so great and priced seperately as well.

Around £500 the pair as i recall.

S

When i was in Moss in Hanworth a couple of years ago i had a look at the 1740,it looked fairly well formed with decent primaries and bends,they had 19 left at that point.It was mild steel.

Well, the plot thickens.

If it were mandrel bent, then there are one or 2 companies still doing m/s.

It couldn't be anything other than a copy of the prototype because of **

It can't be maniflow because they never made one of these, neither did Janspeed.

It could possibly be part of a batch of ?20-25? made 10 years previously in south London.

I would be tempted to buy one of the remaining ones to put the rumours to rest, test it, and post the results back to back with the various other results obtained.

When it comes to making stuff on a Jig, it's always been a problem because of the 4 or 5 variants of engine bays and inlet systems on these cars, which is why it was practically impossible to make a "one size fits all" version.

Having said that, the latest one I did, like the French ones were the ONLY ones that fitted in a GT6 with the engine moved back. The french ones never fitted anything other than injection, unlike the current one which does that as well as GT6+TR6 with Webers and SUs all in one.

That was possible due to the "split secondary" innovation** which I originally introduced on the Jaguar 6-24 manifold, and brought over to the Triumph since 2005.

• 4 months later...

Hi all,

some updates.

Engine running strong, T9 works fine, brake rumbling cured (you should be sure that all suspension bolts are definitely tight :whistling::sweat: ).

Some months ago the car started leaking from the bell housing area :( .

Its definitely far too much to accept. What you see is the "result" after 25 miles normal driving.

I wanted to start with the Herald Estate in Winter, but ..... :verymad:

Cheers Martin

post-819-0-52257300-1383244332_thumb.jpg

Edited by Martin

• 7 months later...

HI,

as the car now "behaves" and keeps the oil inside, I try to get the triple weber agreed by our famous TÃœV.

I had to go for a closed air box. Sounds now not any longer so wild when opening the throttle. KN now not any longer o.k. for the TÃœV.

Looks shiny but I think too small. When TÃœV o.k. I will go for a bigger air box.

Martin

post-819-0-36177000-1403185104_thumb.jpg