Vehicle: Gt6

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Used the GT6 for driving to work last week and today as well. It runs nicely. Have done appr 400 km so far. As the engine had done already 2000km until it was taken of the road (then cylinders honed, same pistons, crank ground, cam bearings, valve seats recut, roller rockers) I think I do not need a complete running in phase. Today I reved a bit more than 3600rpm. Driving appr 120km/h in 5th :thumbsup: . No vibrations, however a, how to describe, a kind of high tone rythmic ?? whistling ?? Prop?

However runs fine.

Can´t wait to push it a bit more ....

Martin

• 3 weeks later...

Whistling noise gone, car has a self healing function

Had to correct the axial position of the Harland Sharp rockers. It needed shims from 0.4 .. 2 mm to position them exactly above the valve stem.

I found suitable shims at Mini Spares.

Martin

• 3 weeks later...

Pushing the car more and more but still avoiding full throttle.

Cruising in 3rd at 2000RPM if you step on the pedal it pulls strong and torquey to 5500 and then you just switch through the gears until 5th at 5500. It pulls strong, far, far more torque then before and reving easily.

Unfortunately the rolling road is fully booked until end of the year to get more precise judgement. But I´m really pleased how the car goes :yes: a big difference towards the old engine / configuration.

Martin

.... and the triple DCOE´s induction noise ....... :rolleyes:

• 4 months later...

Could you please tell me how far back you have put the engine in order to get that manifold to clear the front turret?

My engine is almost rubbing the firewall flange. Take those silly steel spacers from in front of the engine mounts and move them behind, sandwiched between the suspension upright and the motor mount. Also be careful with motor mount orientation side to side. It seems they left the factory both ways and that alone makes a huge difference in engine situation.

Don't forget that many other details under the bonnet will shift along with the engine :miner:

I slotted the holes in my engine mount brackets too (Vitesse) and gained another 10+mm. Any more would have involved hacksaw action on the firewall. This was done while I was fitting a foreign gearbox so some issues that could have arisen were sorted as part of that process.

As Steve rightly mentions, the laws of unintended consequence will be waiting for you.....

Nick

Thanks guys but I cannot move my engine back any further than with the engine mounts all the way forward while using the spacers in front of the turret because my type 9 gearbox just wont allow any further rearward movement. My PI "log is only about 5mm from the bulkhead as is. i was hoping for "didn't need to move it back much from standard to fit" type of answer! Never mind! :thumbsup:

Hi Tim,

I mounted the "uprated" mounts (from Moss) without a spacer in front of the turret. I slotted the brackets from the engine too, but see the pics from the air filters from the Weber carbs, no chance to get the engine furter back. Another reason is the T9 box. No further movement back posssible if you do not want to do major changes to handbrake and rear gearbox mount ...

Just returned from England. It was a nice trip.

Martin

Hi Tim,

I mounted the "uprated" mounts (from Moss) without a spacer in front of the turret. I slotted the brackets from the engine too, but see the pics from the air filters from the Weber carbs, no chance to get the engine furter back. Another reason is the T9 box. No further movement back posssible if you do not want to do major changes to handbrake and rear gearbox mount ...

Just returned from England. It was a nice trip.

Martin

Hi Martin

How much clearance do you have between manifold and turret? Any chance you could take a pic for me?

So which manifold are you trying to fit Tim? They are sand bent so probably vary a bit even when made to the same jig, but also there are different ones around that look the same but are not. Also some made for the saloons that look similar but don't have to worry about missing engine mounts and turrets.

Nick

Hey Nick

I have acquired a very early "mike-the-pipe" manifold that just will not fit unless i put the engine mount spacers on the back of the turret. As I said earlier I just can't do that because of the type 9 gearbox. I do like the look of the toilet tune manifold that is fitted to Martin's MK2. It may not be perfect but it looks much better than the pheonix thing i have fitted currently. The Moss manifold is listed under TR6 which is why i have never bothered considering them before. I don't want to buy it (at some £500) and find it still won't fit with my current setup.

I have acquired a very early "mike-the-pipe" manifold that just will not fit unless........

How do you know?

If it was as you describe, it would have been me that sold it all those years ago. (It would be 25-30 years old now).

Those manifolds went straight on the GT6 & TR6 only requiring a small mod to the fuel injection linkage system & a compact starter motor on the TR5 & TR6.

I know this because there are still a few (mainly TR5) running around France with that manifold on.

How do you know?

If it was as you describe, it would have been me that sold it all those years ago. (It would be 25-30 years old now).

Those manifolds went straight on the GT6 & TR6 only requiring a small mod to the fuel injection linkage system & a compact starter motor on the TR5 & TR6.

I know this because there are still a few (mainly TR5) running around France with that manifold on.

I only know what i've been told. I have a feeling it may have been made for a saloon? Anyways the secondary from cylinders 2&5 hit the turret. You must consider that I am still using the engine mount spacers in front of the turret to facilitate my type 9 gearbox. If I could move the engine back another 25mm then the manifold i have would fit.