Vehicle: Gt6

:huh: Type 9 gearbox......... shifter is further back even if it's been moved as far forward as practical on the gearbox. If you are lucky moving the hole back all the way on the cover might win you enough...... IIRC the 6 cyl covers should have the hole right at the back anyway - that looks like a Spitfire one?

Nick

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I´m happy, the GT6 runs :banana: .

I first primed the cam a bit with a grease gun filled with motor oil. With an adaptor I pressed it into the hole for the oil pressure switch.

Then it started very nicely on the triple Webers. I immediately got the RPM to 2000 and it ran for some 5 minutes that way in our driveway. A lot of smoke from the manifold wrapping . Then I got into the car (reverse not easy to get into :pinch: without a noise) and drove some 300 meters around the corner where there is a school and a gravel parking area with a field of bushes and trees between the parking area and the next houses. Took with me all the tools.

There I then let the car doing the 20 minutes run in for cam and tappets.

I then got the idle down to 1000 with appr 8 Deg advance and 3,5% CO. Oil pressure at 3000 RPM with hot engine 55psi. At idle it is appr 25PSI. So not on the very high side. At present I run Morris 15W50.

That should do. A short "blast" showed that the T9 is working very nicely and shifts easy without any noise so far (it was used and I did not rebuild it). Response to throttle is very good.

Colour of the spark plugs is good (brown / grey). Unfortunately oil drops from the front end of the engine. First I thought the oil seal, however after closer inspection I think it drips out of the lowest screw of the timing chain cover :blink: Further investigation needed.

MOT ran out some 5 month ago. Before more driving around I have to sort that out.

Cheers

:) :) :)

Martin

that would be normal wear after a number of miles. the rocker is hitting on the far side of the valve stem. So the rocker is too high or the valve is too low. Lowering the rocker pedestal would put the valve stem and rocker at 90 degrees with no lift. Check the relationship with valve lash maybe all is normal.

Edited by motov8id

Hi,

I measured a bit (what I never did before, shame on me :( )

Normal GT6 head ( a spare original one from the dungeons): Valve hight 42mm

my head (from Burgess) : Valve hight 44 mm

That means (as block was milled to establish top deck clearance and the head was slightly shimmed) that my rockers are appr 3 mm too low :verymad:

can roller rockers help????????

Martin

Hi,

I measured a bit (what I never did before, shame on me :( )

Normal GT6 head ( a spare original one from the dungeons): Valve hight 42mm

my head (from Burgess) : Valve hight 44 mm

That means (as block was milled to establish top deck clearance and the head was slightly shimmed) that my rockers are appr 3 mm too low :verymad:

can roller rockers help????????

Martin

I added a shim under the rocker pedestals to solve the problem after decking.

Cheers

Nick

If the rocker/valve geometry was ideal before the machine work, removing metal from the block deck and head would make the push rod long by that amount. If you took .015" off the block and.015" off the head that would be less than a mm. to compensate for at the rocker screw. you might not have a problem that needs solving. Check rocker to shaft clearance . The wear pattern may indicate the rocker is twisting on the shaft.

• 2 weeks later...

Last evening I mounted the rocker shaft with three different sets of spacers for the pedestrals. To be honest, none of the results was really good.

Then I took a used rocker shaft assembley (well used but not worn) and everything seems to be fine. Despite the nearly 2 mm higher valve position , I used no shims with the used shaft assembly.

Do these engines only work when equipped with well used parts? Our Spitfire only got new pistons and bearings / gaskets. All the rest was re - used. Car works absolutely fine and reliable since years.

post-819-0-47969600-1346394075_thumb.jpg

Edited by Martin

• 3 weeks later...

Hi ,

I installed some minutes ago Harland Sharp roller rockers. They arrived Friday from the US. With 1mm spacers they touch exacly in the middle of the valve top. Some machining was required at the rockers for Valve 1 and 12.

A short drive was o.k. Reset the valves clearance after the engine was hot.

Hope everythig is good now. Now I have to run in the engine :thumbsup: .

Lets see.

Cheers Martin