Triumph T6 Spitfire Gt Build Chris Sherrington.

Well the seats went back in and boy does it look good!!! The center console/Armrest will be replaced as it's rusted to hell so I'll fit that once it arrives.

20140919_152513_zpszuzmxdzq.jpg

I also covered the speaker surrounds in Leathette.

20140919_152527_zpsfjw4rlft.jpg

20140919_152539_zpsxl1kdvf0.jpg

I also fitted the final rubber mat side piece and then just lay my tool box in the back and covered the rear bit with the carpet section for the rear. Looks good and made the car quieter again.

20140919_152847_zpsogpkl2us.jpg

20140919_173729_zpskyw92je3.jpg

20140919_173735_zpssfzig3n8.jpg

Really happy with it. 

I then went out and did a final wee bit of mapping to richen the lower areas up a touch and lean off the motorway cruising sites. All now done and we will be traveling south after a quick diff top up tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed all goes well.

Chris.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No the carpet fitting went fine except for me being a numpty with the carpet over the rear wheel arches. The carpets have quietened the car down even more. The 0-60 is still the same but once the cams go in this should improve a bit. RBRR drivers meeting today. Really looking forward to it.

Chris.

I use to get 50mpg on a run with the old 1300 large crank triumph motor if I took it easy. However I didn't have the 150bhp to go with it and I was most certainly not taking it easy when the 46mpg was recorded. I think with the correct fuel mapping 55mpg could easily be seen however I keep getting this itch that makes me need to straighten my right leg, just the right one. Weird. However because of this itch the best mpg will never be seen for a while. We actually managed 52mpg with the wife driving responsibly but the fueling is still off and its about 14-14.5 AFR when it should be 15-15.5AFR. I'll have a play but when the new cams are installed in the new engine it will all need to be redone again. So for now I'm very happy with it as it is. I think it will make the RBRR perfectly fine as it is but I will look at its fueling later.

Chris.

Well completed another 600+ mile round trip today. It was terrible rain on the way down so that was a good test and the car never missed a beat. I've now done  over 3500miles and the car is better than I ever imagined. Can't wait for the round Britain now. Fingers crossed it all stays together.

Chris.

It'll be a cinch if you've done that already — the cars that typically don't get round are those that are hardly used.

I never had any issues with mine in the 6 or so RBRR/10CR I entered because I used them often and drove them hard.

So I've been busy again on the car the last few days. I took the car over to Stainless Creations to get the rear two silencers changed to something that will actually quieten the exhaust a touch. Here is what I had.

20140925_103454_zps3l6iebyr.jpg

The new silencer design.

20140925_104427_zpskmfgxbkj.jpg

20140925_123254_zpsvflwbeqa.jpg

Then the new silencers fitted.

20140925_140708_zpsrbbehedm.jpg

Another good job by stainless creations in Falkirk.

20140925_140747_zpsglqqfw6h.jpg

20140925_141934_zpsn43eknpt.jpg

I then went home and the noise is much quieter. I do miss the metalic rasp but the new silencers mean you can hear music and actually talk to your passenger if you have one. The new silencers were also much lighter than the originals even thought they were much larger in size. The guy at stainless creations also said that all the restrictions had been removed from the system now so any other mods would be able to breath properly as the choke type silencers on before silencer by choking the gasses. So a win on many levels.

I then arrived home had some food and then decided to finish off the interior work. So off with the old door cards.

20140925_172726_zpsol7ntrx1.jpg

20140925_172732_zpsllzalrax.jpg

These were an ebay special and never really fitted very well. Upon comparing them to the new Newton Commercial ones the quality of the new ones is hard to miss. The old ones had the cover layer with thin foam glued to the board. the Newton ones look to be multi layered and are much thicker and will provide much more sound proofing. However I though I better add some more sound proofing to the door skin just to be safe. I started by gluing the top finisher in place. I was a bit iffy about using these but now they are fitted Im so glad I did as they really finish the doors off well. While the glue was drying I fitted the Dodo sound proofing. This id much lighter than the dynamatt but doesn't silence quite as well but is still very good.

20140925_172740_zpsykapw8yb.jpg

Next fit the new door cards and clips.

20140925_172745_zpswpdgitwd.jpg

I also bought new handle pins and springs to make it look nice.

20140925_174703_zpspdtjsurx.jpg

The finish product is both quieter and looks great. Really chuffed.

I also got a new arm rest in the post so I fitted that too and now the interior is complete. Next, hopefully today I'll fit the exterior badges.

20140926_121346_zps7m3pxwn7.jpg

More when it happens,

Chris.

Being able to talk to your navigator/driver would, I think, be a useful thing on the RBRR (RBR?). It's not likely that I'll ever take part in the "Run" so I'm relying on you to take lots of images and video and then to post them, along with a witty commentary, in short order.

Have fun. :)

James I reckon we should enter the next one. Take V8Nick and 2fast with us,  buy a banger 2 or 2.5 saloon, turn up a week early, kick it into some semblance of  shape, do the run relying on everyone else to help us ((Bring Rely back into the name), then park it at the docks and jump back on a plane and bugger off home.  

Just for the craic

C.

To be honest, if I had sold it I don't think it would have seen the road for many years. That would have been worse as I would always be looking for it"my still born child". I'm really glad I kept it as I could never afford to build another and its such a beast. It really is, its far from perfect but they were not even perfect from the factory. 

Confession time, the U on the lettering is too low. Also the P is pissed and has fallen forward. Oops. Adds to the character. It will be hard to read when I'm speeding away from people anyway. Ha Ha.

I also think I may inadvertently be causing accidents too. People keep pulling up aside me for a nosy and keep loosing control of there cars while having a ganders. Ha Ha. 

Chris.

Car has arrived at the Hotel near the plough. Good nights kip and the we shall begin. Passenger side wheel bearing needed adjusting again. I've asked Chic to supply Bobbyspit with two standard spitfire front hubs, bearings and stub axles to collect and carry just in case. Fingers crossed all will be ok.