Nicks Vitesse

I’ve ordered 2m of 50mm Pirelli rubber webbing. Have the beginnings of a plan I think.  Also need to do something about the drivers side bolster as it’s beginning to look like it’s had the attention of a Labrador puppy…. SM is prepared to attempt replacement if I can come up with a suitable bit of leather.

Meanwhile I actually drove it yesterday. Happy to report that the clutch works. Biting point seems a bit high, even with the 5/8” master, though it could be partly down to muscle memory wanting to push the pedal through the bulkhead - which is how it was. Drives well. Gear change is also much better. Broke out the laptop and introduced the AEM to MS. Agreement between gauge and ECU!!

Seats and hood next…..

• Like 3

IMG_4504.jpeg

Yep, that’s done…..

IMG_4546.jpeg

2m of elastic strapping. Not actually Pirelli, something a bit less spendy. Plus some 1mm steel sheet 45 x 90mm bent into an interesting shape. Squeezed and riveted to the strapping. Fiddly, but cheap and effective.

IMG_4547.jpeg

Two in place. I think it needs 4.

Made at 270mm for 280mm fitted length. Maybe I’ll be looking over the top of the windscreen……

Nice to succesfully tick jobs off the list. Suprising how much difference a comfy seat makes to the driving experience. Sitting on the floor of my gt6, and the Vitesse seat has a hard piece of wire sticking in my back, on my to do list.

On 4/21/2024 at 5:09 PM, Nick Jones said:

IMG_4661.jpeg

Four straps made and fitted. No longer feels like I might fall through.

Great work! Will definitely remember that for future use. Looks like a good alternative to bespoke (and often unavailable) diaphragms.

• Thanks 1

Possible labour saving using webbing clips (would have had to chop the return off the side rails as too shallow) or just folding the ends into a short loop and riveting. 

Apparently I’m not allowed to attach photos today….

• Like 2

Been using it as transportation. Have to report that I’m not entirely delighted with the clutch action. High biting point, very short action (exact opposite of before) and somewhat snatchy, though the short action could be most of that. It does work though and no funny noises this time so I’ll persist with it and hope it mellows a bit.

Also bought a new pair of Falken tyres and fitted them to a spare pair of matching alloys. First time I’ve ever managed to fit car tyres by hand, without levers.  This so I have four tyres with similar tread depths as I find these tyres behave quite differently depending on wear state and prefer matched ends for track day on Wednesday.  With 4 effectively new SN832s wet would actually suit me better as they are rather squirmy in the dry.

And finally, one of my headlights took a hit from a flying rock and was holed. So I had to buy a new pair. Sticking with halogens. Wouldn’t mind LED units if they looked fairly (normal) but failed to find any that were remotely affordable. Remains to be seen how good these replacements are….. The old ones were nothing special but worked fine.

Still need a hood. I can buy a hood easy enough….. getting a warm day to fit it though…..?

Annoying about the clutch, hope it's not too intrusive. Mystified as to how you fitted tyres by hand without levers though??  I managed it on a scooter with split rims but not sure where you'd start with normal wheels. 

Look forward to seeing you zoom past tomorrow - hopefully a bit of dry and wet weather just for the variety

5 hours ago, Escadrille Ecosse said:

Man of Steel

Not hardly……. Man of many aches and pains…..

It’s down to the shape of the wheel and how deep the well in them is. These wheels have a deep well in them which you can shuffle the already fitted sections of the bead into, giving just enough offset to make hand fitting possible.

Triumph steel wheels (Spit 4.5 and 5J at least) do not enjoy the same feature and are a right sod to fit tyres to.