Craig's GT6 MK3 in Aus.

Thanks Guys,

I looked really hard at these, but none of them had a relatively low (max 200 or less) speedo in KMs.

My livelyhood is very reliant on my licence, and here in the nanny state it's important to know where the cash cameras are, and exactly (to the Km) how fast you're going when you're near them. I'm not saying I don't occasionally frcture the speed limit. I'm saying if and when I ever do, I like to know exactly what I'm doing and where...

I also like the simplicity of a single loom for all the gauges, and a decent lighting at night. I'll admit the boy racer in me also likes the shiny lights...

What tipped it over for me was what Chris said here

http://sideways-tech...dpost__p__79446 It really resonated.

I hung onto this car for over 15 years when it wasn't driveable. I've been not restoring it, by rebuilding and re-creating it. I want it to be my car, the one I built, not just someone else's idea of what's right.

Hopefully, It'll be a car I keep for all my life, something on which ever nut, bolt, screw and fastener has been tightened my by hand. Something that give me pleasure not just because I bought it, but because I built to be the best it could.

Enough waxing lyrical. Gauges are ordered.

C.

Not entirely sure I should answer that in a forum where the Missus might see it.

I wasn't entirely happy with the logo I had, so I pulled out my old macbook with photoshop/imageready and started from scratch myself.

gt6mk321aa.jpg

It was late at night when I finished and sent the order, so I'm not entirely sure just what I asked for.

From memory, it's possible it's going on a 4" GPS 200kmph speedo (with turn indicators), a 4" 8000 Rev counter (with shift lights, and red zone at 7500), and one or two others. With the Muscle font, white text on black for daylight, red glow on black for night, red needles all round, and silver bezels.

If I was the obsessive compulsive type, and had a hang the expense motto, I'd have ordered a 2&1/16" fuel, water temp, oil pressure, oil temp, manifold vacume, fuel/air, file pressure, voltage, and oh yeah, a clock. I'd probably have also ordered the wiring upgrade with the dimmer.

That'd be 10 gauges in total, and I'm sure Juliette wouldn't approve of me spending that much. :ninja::pirate::ninja:

Of course, when she comes home with shoes she's bought on sale, she like to suggest I look at how much she saved, not how much she spent, and Speedhut do have a sale on.

I'll have to wait and see what arrives :D

From

http://www.vicroads..../0/VSI26web.pdf

Speedometer

Vehicles manufactured from 1 July 1988 and licensed buses and taxis of any age must be fitted with a functioning odometer and a speedometer calibrated in km/h.

That's all I've been able to find.

And, to be perfectly honest, the further I get into making this thing safe vs legal, the more I lean to safe. The speeding laws here are an ass, I'll do all I can to protect myself from them.

C.

Thanks. Fair enough then. Unfortunately for me I recently had my speedo repaired and refurbished as the odometer wasn't working and I had been "noted" but the Queensland rego Nazi's. Otherwise I'd be joining you with your latest import.

This is what Queensland may say about GPS speedo's.

"Before the Traffic Camera Office can/will review the issue of the Infringement Notice

you must supply sufficient documentary evidence from a reputable organisation (not

GPS) stipulating the degree of inaccuracy of the vehicle’s speedometer. Organisations

include RACQ.

This evidence must outline what the vehicle’s speedometer was reading when travelling

at specific speeds. Example what the speedometer was reading when travelling at a

broad range of speeds, such as between 50 kilometres and 100 kilometres per hour, in 10

kilometre per hour increments. "

This is just about calibration after you have been given a ticket I think but i'm not sure if they care if the actual fitted speed is GPS. But this is Queensland...

Nigel

Probably worth pointing out to those back in Blighty that the Australian regulation systen is pretty quirky. All states have their own laws that are slightly different including speed regulations (that cost me 5 points on first moving to Queensland from WA). There is no annual MOT, but you have to have all vehicles retested when moving a car interstate. That cost me over $600 on things that had been accepted already in WA and were not dangerous. Made the local garage happy though... I had a nice private plate in WA that cost about $150 more that a standard registration, the same plate in Queensland was over $2500! FTFAGOS!

Nigel.

These speedo's will read so accurate you will be able to correct the police man and then you can show him your actual top speed you have had(most of them have this function). Also your best 0-60 time, Ha Ha.

Joking aside I think it will be great to know accurately what speed your doing.

Chris.

Nigel,

The letter you have is all about stopping you from getting out of a fine by blaming your speedo. Basically, if you relied on your speedo, it's inaccurate, and it's of a certain age, and you got busted speeding, you might try to argue to a court that your strict liability to not exceed the limit is mitigated by the fact the speedo should be accurate. To do so, you'd need a "reputable authority" to test your speedo, and find it defective. Simply running it against you in car GPS isn't good enough for the court, you need someone like the RACQ to do so.

Of course, it's a defence that reportedly almost never works, and is reportedly almost always appealed by the authorities till you give up.

Long story short, I had a long look, but can't find anything that excludes the use of GPS brained speedos or odometers anywhere in Aus.

Chris,

You cannot correct an Australian Policeman about anything. Step one at the academy, they are taken aside, and tested for God complex levels. Those who fail the police test are sent to the Arny to act as RSM's.

There is no bigger swagger, shinier sunnies, or more heavier loaded utility belt than the Aussie Traffic Cop getting out of his/her car / of his/her motorbike to strut up to your window, tap on it and ask;

"Soo... What was your reason for speeding? Licence please."

Generally speaking, these days, their arsenal includes a recording device, and any answer suggesting you may in fact have been doing so is admissible in court.

Winding down your window just 1cm, and answering with;

"Hi Officer, what was your reason for operating a speed detection device on this section of road, and are you aware one of your headlights is defective? Can I see your identification please?"

really really really annoys them. As does recording them on your iPhone... :yes:

C.

(Who enjoys a battle...)

Generally speaking, these days, their arsenal includes a recording device, and any answer suggesting you may in fact have been doing so is admissible in court.

"Please do'nt hit me again officer"

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, the GPS speedo does Alt, and Hdg. :thumbsup::no::thumbsup:

I'll see if I can find somewhere to stick the rest!

I'm not bad at reading gauges - the CFI at the flying school once put me in the sim, and told me I'd last a max of 4 minutes before I crashed. After an hour of failing every combination he could think of, he admitted defeat, and flipped the sim from Cessna 172 mode to a Beech King Air with both engines out. I crashed that, but I did try to roll it first.

C

Been a while since Alan's been in his factory when I haven't been working, so when he said he was there all afternoon today, I blew off work, and headed over.

Step one, was cutting the x axis y bracket for the CNC lathe project. I programmed it last visit, but we didn't get time to cut it.

IMG_1398.jpg

Alan was measuring some Austin Healey H beams

IMG_1401.jpg

Because someone had had a problem...

IMG_1402.jpg

X axis collar cut, it was time to do a little work on my new dash's woodwork to adjust for the new gauges. Needed to adjust the outer ring outwards by a mm and a half so they could be countersunk like the originals.

After half an hour of cleaning and degreasing the mill, I was ready to let the woodwork near it.

IMG_1397.jpg

We* made some stepped wooden plugs to locate and hold them,

IMG_1404.jpg

Then clocked them carefully, and increased the rebates, very very carefully.

IMG_1406.jpg

IMG_1409.jpg

Noice!

IMG_1410.jpg

More work to come...

C.

Ta Chris,

I'm lucky to have talented superbly equipped friends who let me interrupt their working days to mess about with my projects. I'm still at a loss to understand why...

As for a time frame, well, that needs me to get off my arse, which seems to take forever at the moment.

C.

Been Busy.

We* fettled the other dash piece for the gauges.

IMG_1413.jpg

I've got a bit of a plan that needs a 2nd t50 gearbox conversion to be made ready, so I opened up one of my 2 spare 22 spliners.

IMG_1417.jpg

It has a nice case at least, Cause it's internals are truly fooked.

IMG_1415.jpg

IMG_1419.jpg

IMG_1416.jpg

I think I might need to look into the other spare!

C.