GT6 rollcage - suppliers?

I am thinking on getting a roll cage for my GT6, partially for safety and partially as a staring point for increasing the rigidity of my car. I know Jigsaw sells a cage, but does anyone have any other suggestions as where to get one from? There is no requirement for it to be to FIA specs.

TIA

Steve,

If it's not to be to FIA spec, why do you want one?

If it's to protect you in the (unlikely, but deadly) case of a roll-over, why don't you want one?

Simples!

I have just asked a firm near me, (they are near Barnoldswick) "Protection & Performance" for a quote for my other project.

I'll let you know what they say.

John

I'd honestly take the car to a maker Steve.

There is one in Cheltenham?

I don't think FIA means much, bit of paper, open to makers interpretations, caveat emptor...

I mean they allow bolt in cages, tell me the bolts aren't just going to explode in the case of a huge accident? Probably going through your skull like bullets?

http://www.cotsweld.co.uk/

I'd go bespoke, price would be same? Youre only paying £200 to Jigsaw etc by buying from them...

You only need FIA homogulation if you are going to race in FIA events.  You dont  need it for club racing (currently anyhow though I would'nt put it pass the FIA club motorsport leeches) and certainly not for non-competative use.

IMHO the FIA label just proves that the manufacturer has paid the FIA to do assessment and tests of the cage, I'm not entirely convinced they actually look into the construction/structure of the car the cage is fitted into. Particularly in the case of Spits/GT6 where they are fixed to the single skin sheet steel wheelarches at the rear and footwell at the front, artfully avoiding any solid chassis structure or tub strength members.

I'd echo advice above and take the car to a rollcage manufacturer and discuss with them how the GT6 is constructed and get exactly what you want, then if not racing but thinking about it in the furture you coul included removeable diagonals etc.

Alternatively buy the tube and do it yourself, Merlin will do the bends for you (at a pretty inflated price!)

Andy

The problem with rollcages in classic racing (and I assume most other club racing as well) is, that the cage shouldn't be used to enhance stiffness. According to the rules. I think that is one of the reasons why the usual bolt in cages for Spitfire/GT6 mount to rather weak points in the tub. And to keep the competition cheaper, they usually want to see rather bolt in stuff than welded full cages.

cheers,

Reinald

Reinhald,

"the cage shouldn't be used to enhance stiffness"

Where does that come from?

Andy,

MSport, the Ford world rally car preparers, send a shell with their prototype design for the roll cage installed to the FIA in Switzerland, to be tested.

The test is taken to destruction!

Then the shell is sent back, pass or fail, so that MSport can learn from it, but the shell and cage are then scrap.

They have to do this whenever Ford change the design of the base car, or choose to rally a different model.

That sort of thing must cost.

I presume that a cage manufacturer must do the same, but what manaufacturer would go to that expence for a Spitfirte cage?

Steve,

Have you seen the MSA specs for roll cages?

See: http://www.msauk.org/uploadedfiles/msa_forms/bluebooks/09/Competitors_Safety.pdf

They are applicable to any car, and would seem to me very sensible.

I hope no reputable roll bar manufacturer would use any lesser specs.

John

Hi John,

it is somewhere in the german DMSB rulebook. Might be different in UK.

And of course it depends on your class and the regulations in detail, but for classic racing and clubsport they don't want welded cages with strut braces and so on, I think mostly to okeep cost down and competition on a comparable level.

Reinald

I recognise this. I'm sure that somewhere in the Blue Book or Series Tech regs in Hill Climb for instance that the roll cage is not to give structural advantage and pick up on  the suspension etc. Might be in hill climb and sprint for road going classes, need to check.

Is an interesting question, where does a roll cage become part of the chassis?? I can vaguely see the German way of thinking, if it is bolted then it is a seperate part of the car (like the engine, body etc etc are all seperate), however if it is welded then really all you have done is modify the chassis. Where do you draw the line??

My two-pennorth anyway,

Phil

IMHO the FIA label just proves that the manufacturer has paid the FIA to do assessment and tests of the cage, I'm not entirely convinced they actually look into the construction/structure of the car the cage is fitted into. Particularly in the case of Spits/GT6 where they are fixed to the single skin sheet steel wheelarches at the rear and footwell at the front, artfully avoiding any solid chassis structure or tub strength members.

Alternatively buy the tube and do it yourself, Merlin will do the bends for you (at a pretty inflated price!)

Andy

Andy - agree on that one - had an Allybar cage in my racer which had an 'FIA approved' sticker on it - it was made from seamed tube - what a load of crap branded with FIA approval and a price tag to match

Steve - make your own if its just the rear hoop - aleast you won't get ripped off - lets face it the banger boy's use 48mm scaffold tubing in their 2500 PI's never saw the cockpit of one of those get crushed - sometimes you just need to be pragmatic and sensible with what materials and your own welding caperbilites - even if you got a coded welded to do the work for you would still cut your cost in half as opposed to an 'off the shelve item'