My new car thread...

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I give up.  What's a "parking sensor"?  Electronic curb feeler?  Is it so bad now that 'drivers' can't park without the computer assist?

Depends on the car.

I find it fairly difficult to judge the size of the wife's Seat Leon, because it's shaped a bit like half an orange and has teeny windows. Strange as I could* park a 17 tonne truck on a postage stamp.

* expressing past ability, not possibility

They're not that hard to park!  Far easier than a 2000 with its low geared unassisted steering.  ;D

Things start to get tricky with LWB Transit vans etc but I never have a problem parking big motors.

Just take your time Dave, have patience and guide it gently and carefully into the chosen slot.

Just take your time Dave, have patience and guide it gently and carefully into the chosen slot.

Sorbs, tell me, when it's really tight does one use lubrication and attempt burglery? Or does one tease the surrounding area with gentle foreplay and hope for a natural loosening or expansion before attempting entry into the slot?

Well, when parking one's beast,  one can simply hope for the best, ram it in any old way and into any old slot but just going at it full pelt can sometimes lead to disappointment and can have very unpleasant consequences.

A little more time taken in selection of the aperture and the way in which you plan to enter it often pays dividends and is usually far better for all concerned.

HELP ME im thinking of buying a ford focus.

Im thinking about taking finance and buying a newer shape focus, i loved driving the one i had as a hire car in the past. But its a bit bland and boring but maybe thats what i need.

I cant help feeling the bmw is the wrong car for me, i need something modern and reliable, i have the spit for fun.

Funny that guy with the 318is on monday said they were not budging with the price, and would not move even if i turned up with cash, and yet they have just lowered the price lol.

Been to see a couple of these now, would really like one bar one problem, there is just too much rust. Even on a well looked after car you can start to see it round the arches and the bootlids. Maybe its the roads up here or something.

Its made me change my mind and am now hunting for an audi a4, but why are they so bloody expensive to insure.

Rust = poorly looked after often and tonnes of clag in the wheel arches, when you WASH a car you need to aim the hose inside the arches and with your hand, scrape out the build up of mud etc on the arch lips...Or they will ROT. It stays constantly wet doesn't it.

Suppose the extra 2months of salt don't help up there.

Mine has no rust in the arches bar a few flecks caused by unattended stonechips.

Despite the risk of crumbs, it may be worth travelling south to buy a car.  Whenever I venture north of Hadrian's wall to visit the family / buy shortbread / try to spot Nessie, I can't help notice how much rustier the cars seem to be, even in the lowlands of Edinburgh.

It's rare to see a rusty '90s BMW down here.  I guess the extra salt takes its toll.

Most late '90s VW / Audis (careful if you google VAG) were galavanised and had a 12 year anti rust warranty.  The quality of paint finish and rust protection on them is superb. I wish Audi had made my 2000.

Well I spent yesterday afternoon grinding off some blistered stonechips (rust runs under paint) from mine before they develop futher, touching them in. 3 blisters done including a 2" one. 4 to go. Best to get a handle on this stuff before they develop into holes!

Sill trims off next and do the bottom corners of the front wings and 1 scab on the front of the arch. Really not my thing pissing about with daily drivers, suppose it's worth it as the car is very presentable.

just had a wee play see if i could get the central locking working and found out the pump is blown. doh! would be ok but audi in their infinate wisdom uniquely coded them to each car.

Coded the central locking PUMP?  Seriously doubt it - just a simple mechanical device used on just about every Audi from about '85.  If the fronts work it's unlikely to be the pump - more likely piping issues, or even just that the lock mechanisms need freeing up as no-one has ever opened tha back doors - check child locks also.  The pumps are pretty tough (although the early ones on the 80's coupes got them a bad rep).

Nick