Gov.UK consultation on "Future of transport regulatory review: modernising vehicle standards"

JohnD

There seems to be much paranoia about this survey, which is intended to lead to legislation.      It is directed at "future vehicles", specifically self-driving ones, but some in the classic car world seem to fear that this will 'drive classic cars off the roads'.      Best thing to do is to READ it, at https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/future-of-transport-regulatory-review-modernising-vehicle-standards/future-of-transport-regulatory-review-modernising-vehicle-standards?fbclid=IwAR2TkfwwZJgLWPfGjvliYS5f624Wvxgn5zqdXDVdYsx7UpeeIFMaWysE9A0#tackling-tampering and if you have qualms to foloow the "How to Respond" section by answereing a detailed survey questionaire.

I don't agree that the proposed act is threat to classic cars, but no harm in trying to make sure!  So I've completed the survey, it's my right and your's too.

John

On 11/1/2021 at 11:44 AM, JohnD said:

There seems to be much paranoia about this survey, which is intended to lead to legislation.      It is directed at "future vehicles", specifically self-driving ones, but some in the classic car world seem to fear that this will 'drive classic cars off the roads'.      Best thing to do is to READ it, at https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/future-of-transport-regulatory-review-modernising-vehicle-standards/future-of-transport-regulatory-review-modernising-vehicle-standards?fbclid=IwAR2TkfwwZJgLWPfGjvliYS5f624Wvxgn5zqdXDVdYsx7UpeeIFMaWysE9A0#tackling-tampering and if you have qualms to foloow the "How to Respond" section by answereing a detailed survey questionaire.

I don't agree that the proposed act is threat to classic cars, but no harm in trying to make sure!  So I've completed the survey, it's my right and your's too.

John

I did the survey, but it didn't seem aimed at the average punter. But I felt that like yu, it wasn't aimed at classics.

However, my responses were along the lines of making sure classics and indeed the whole car modding industry was not an unintended victim. 

The worry is that once in place, it could be VERY easy to alter the legislation to include inconvenient old cars. And if we got some ill informed government (most of them) it could happen. 

• Like 1