Chassis/Bodyshell Dolly

RichardB

Got the bodyshell back today :smile:

Just in the nick of time, I'd come up with an alternative. Some mobile axle stands from ebay, much cheaper than I could make them for when you price up time and materials. I made the chinese vendor an offer of £150 delivered for the pair, and they arrived yesterday with enough time for me to put them together. Thinking when I start first on the chassis, I'll bolt them together with the extension pieces they came with, and then perhaps ratchet strap the chassis to them as a simple way of keeping it nice and tight. The height is brilliant, they are much taller than the normal axle stands I've used in the past.

Haven't had chance to go over the car properly yet but as always there's more work than you expected. Hardly any new holes, but some welding / repair patches to re do and some pitted metal that was probably just about viable last time it was restored but not sure I'm happy leaving it as is. Spare OE boot lid was a bit of a disappointment, I'd thought this was solid but the welded repairs aren't impressive.

I got my Dad's TR6 hardtop done at the same time, and actually that was surprisingly good considering it's been in a damp shed for 10 years. The rear deck looked rusty as hell but it actually turned out to be quite solid, must have just been surface rust, and no dents under the paint! That's never been butchered so I will probably repair that back up for him to get back into MIG welding after not doing any for several years.

bodyshell.jpg

IMG_3865.JPG

IMG_3869.JPG

IMG_3873.JPG

IMG_3881.JPG

IMG_3886.JPG

Edited by RichardBaines