Loose bearing race

They don't teach this sort of thing at Uni!

Starting my winter refurb at the front, I went to clean out the front wheel bearings and regrease.     The outer race on one was not tight in the hub;  It would turn to finger pressure, but had to be tapped out with a drift in the normal way.     I know the standard bodge is to knurl the inside of the hub with a hammer and steel punch, but that sounds so, well, stone age, and I was concerned that in my hands it might put the race out of centre, so I compromised and replaced it after smearing Loktite thread locker (248) inside and around the race.

But I find that Loktite make a "race retainer" (eg 641).     How adequate will my repair be?  Should I get some and redo my chemical bodge?

"641" is 'medium strength, for parts that need disassembly"     There is 638 "High strength".    Would that be over the top?

John

Edited by JohnD

Common problem with Vitesse and GT6 hubs unfortunately.

Some kind of retainer is a reasonable response. I’d use the 641 and check to see how it’s doing after some use. One possible issue is it’s heat tolerance, with a significant strength drop-off by 150C. Heat from the brakes might reach/exceed that in hard use. Definitely worth a try. You could try 638 if 641 doesn’t work as it’s generally stronger and has a bit more heat resistance, though if it does work and you need to change the bearing you’ll need considerable heat to get it apart.

Nick