Spitfire Drive Shafts

rogerguzzi

28 minutes ago, JumpingFrog said:

The problem with all this is, we might be the only swing axle car that has managed to cover 17,000 miles+ in a single year... 

Possibly, even probably.  I did just over 30k in my Herald in one year once, but that was in about 1989...….. and was mad enough then!  They were very much easier miles than yours too I'm sure, even if I did rag mine everywhere.

It is definitely highly unusual for the OE ones to get loose splines. The aftermarket ones, not so it seems.

Presumably you are safely home again now.  Quite an adventure.  Just waiting for the book and the film now :smile:

Nick

Yes, safely back home, I'm very slowly editing a video together of the sadly limited footage we have.

I'll update here when I've heard back from the suppliers. First I need to get the driveshaft apart again, always fun.
Anyway, here is something to give you nightmares, this is the driveshaft we removed this weekend.

2 hours ago, JumpingFrog said:

Yes, safely back home, I'm very slowly editing a video together of the sadly limited footage we have.

I'll update here when I've heard back from the suppliers. First I need to get the driveshaft apart again, always fun.
Anyway, here is something to give you nightmares, this is the driveshaft we removed this weekend.

Hello 

Mine were not quite as bad but had done less miles  I wonder if Cadbury;s could sell them?

They are not fit for Triumph use but the sad thing is people will fit these but only do 500 to 1000 miles per year(super maximum!) so they will seem good value if they last 10 years!

Fitchetts ones were cheaper and in my  eyes look better I did not like the under cut next to the splines and appeared to be cut splines were as Fitchetts look to be rolled(better I think?)

Roger

• 1 month later...

Finally sorted this out, took me a while to get them sent off as my only access to a "workshop" is at my parents house some 6 hours away. Anyway, I spent the weekend before Christmas taking them apart. My hub pulling tool proving to be a good investment!

Anyway, the supplier has now refunded me. However, I don't know anything beyond that. I sent a note with them suggesting that they investigate the fit of the splines, mentioning that the swing axle design transmits non-rotational load through the driveshaft.

Some observations, maybe of interest:

bearing_surface.JPG.f2d0e30e46971c3371950cfea5cc708e.JPG
No discernible wear of needle roller surface after 17,000 miles, so hardening seems reasonable.

New:
keyway_new.JPG.d4a74c546c6e5c00e82e33ee57b8e796.JPG

OE:

keyway_old.JPG.04abd20fa6a3e10fe5c5de069c3d97f1.JPG

The keyways actually look to be a little better than OE, with a more rounded profile (milled not broached?) which should reduce the chance of the keyway becoming a stress riser. Obviously this is all in vain if the yoke separates.

• 4 months later...

Hello All

Here we go again!!!!!!

I fitted my other new drive shaft 200 miles ago!!!!!!!!!!!

I fitted new outer bearings but I used the UJ from the old one as it had only done about 3500 miles and there was barley  a mark on the part that fitted into the drive shaft yoke(I did not strip the diff flange and it felt perfect?)

Now I have a clicking noise on over run!!!!!!!! (what is with my Spitty and drive shafts?)

Still I have a whole week before we go to Spain & Portugal

So I know what I will be doing tomorrow?

I have the Complete drive shaft I removed and 2 more UJ,s (Spicer type)

So no pressure ?

Still better now than in Spain or Portugal?

Roger

Clicking usually means too much endfloat on one (or both) of the UJ axes.  This is a common problem on OE too.  Can be overcome with thicker circlips (if you can find any) or shims under the circlips and no need to remove the UJ from the yoke or shaft from the car.....

Hello Nick

I know that and when I built it up I left the little bits of plastic out that they fit on the end of the cross pin as they were damaged and sorted out Circlips that were tight but it may be the ones I did not strip? 

Roger

The plastic you refer to are little cones that go in the UJ cup? I've only seen these on the Freelander heavy duty UJs (TVF100000). Not sure what purpose they serve, this rather out of focus picture shows it?:

ujs.jpg.705205eeaff11d30f447785dec668ed5.jpg

Maybe they could allow more end float, but I can't see them being strong enough to take a load.

Whenever I fit a UJ, I tipex a line across the yoke/circlip/cup so I can see if it has been rotating... I do hope the Fitchett's driveshafts are okay, as I now have one fitted to my car (only 100 miles ago though).

Hello JumpingFrog

Yes those are the ones

I also though they do not look up to the job and the ones I removed were a bit chewed up

Mr Smarty Pants Nick was right I think(I was hoping it was that but did no want to get my hopes up!)

On the cross joint I left the bits of plastic out I could lever the joint from side to side and I have managed to squeeze in a 0.014" shim!

I will take it for a spin later with fingers crossed with only 6 days to go before Spain & Portugal !!!!!

Roger

ps a few photos from yesterday Wings & Wheels meeting

DSC09333.JPG

DSC09334.JPG

DSC09335.JPG

DSC09336.JPG

DSC09339.JPG

DSC09337.JPG

Hello All

Roger is a HAPPY Bunny again now!

I have been out in Spitty and the clicking noise has gone(plenty of other squeaks & rattles but that is normal 2 days into holiday and I will hardly notice them!)

I did a bit more autotune and held it in 3rd at higher revs both in and out of O/D.

Tick over seemed slow to settle so made a few changes(I sound like I know what I am doing?)its the blind leading the partially sighted in the dark!

My first Fitchett's drive shaft has done about 1700 miles and looks ok 

Still seem to be blowing oil out so I have ordered a cheap oil catch tank (1lt) it can not make it any worse?

I can just squeeze it in behind the radiator under the alternator or is that too low?

Roger

I have a catch tank on mine just behind the radiator on the suspension mount.

All the above regarding shafts,and being overtaken by one of my rear wheels on the RBRR is why i am CV`ing mine as i did with my MK 1 Vitesse.

Steve

• 5 months later...

Hello Bumblebee

All I can say is both of mine from fitchetts are still fine after 5000miles this year and a bit last(on hols so cant be close

The chocolate ones did not do that many as in my thread

Roger (northern cyprus)

DSC00845.JPG

DSC00870.JPG

DSC00849_1.JPG

DSC00838_1.JPG

Cheers Roger, 

I wont know if I need shafts until I get the bearings out, but the movement there does not fill me with confidence. Once Ive got a puller all will become clear I suppose. At least I know there is a sensible supplier out there. 

Enjoy the holiday!

Andy

Edited by Bumblebee