Vitesse / Herald Rear Edge Of Front Wings

Hi all

Right, a bit of a long shot. For those who have replaced the front wings on the Vitesse or Herald may realise that the repro wings are missing the shaped strip that steps the wing out the right amount so that it follows the shape of the door. When I replace the wings a couple or so years ago I was unaware that I needed to use this section from my old wings. Long story short, as I winged about on here, I welded them onto the top section and then realised something was wrong when the bonnet was on the car and I could clearly see the door hinges. I have unpicked the mig spot welds (nightmare) and stepped the wings out to align with the doors. and could improvise from here, but Ideally i am after a really rough (scrap) original bonnet off either car or just the rear edge of the front wings cut from said rotten bonnet. I can then drill out the spot welds and attach the shaped strip to my bonnet. As said, failing that I will improvise something. For some strange reason I want this part of the car to look correct even though most wouldn't realise :turned:

Cheers Lads

9229071623_e5b7a13681_m.jpg

Edited by Mark

Mark,

Should be the same on any Herald/Vitesse bonnet (with possible exception of 948 and very early 1200)

They are attached mainly by the rear edge of the wing being folded over them and crimped (like a doorskin). Remove by running a grinder down the back edge until you can just see 3 layers. Also a couple of brazed spots IIRC.

I also welded my first wing on wrong (and it still is) but I did get the strip down the back transferred ok.

There are a couple of Heralds in local scrapyards (both on A37 between Bristol and Yeovil, which may be useless information dependent on where you are.

Nick

Thanks Nick

Good to know how they are attached. Unfortunately I live in SE London so will try to find something a bit closer. Chopped up and dumped rotten bonnets in the past, sometimes saving the top panel, but it never occurred to me to save this strip.

Mark