GT6 With Toyota Brake Calipers

Hi,

mounted the calipers today.

Experiences:

Caliper touches the disc slightly, you need to file a bit

You have to grind a little bit away from the inner side of the brake pad as it touches the caliper bracket (only appr 2 mm from the plate).

Hope that I can drive the car next days (currently dry and 15 degrees but the expect minus and snow :verymad: again)

Cheers

Martin

post-819-0-37915000-1362685315_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-22191100-1362685410_thumb.jpg

Edited by Martin

Fixed it......

Didn't you want vented discs also? I think there is also a "spaced" version of that Toyota caliper for vented disc use?

Interested to hear the results when you drive it!

Nick

PS. Good to see you at Stoneleigh - but too short! Hope your 3.63 diff is a good one!

Thanks for deleting the & :thumbsup: .

I first try the Toyota conversion, as Capri vented entails a lot of modifications and will be a visible change for the beloved TÃœV.

I hope that a configuration that suits a 1.7 ton vehicle, allowed to tow appr 2 tons, so in sum more than 3.5 tons, stops my 900 kg GT6 adequately.

Will report.

Martin

Yes, big snow in northern Europe - but not here in SW England - damn cold though.

When you say fade, do you mean pad fade (rock hard pedal, no stopping effort) due gassing off of overheated pads or fluid fade where the pedal goes to the floor due to the fluid boiling in the caliper?

I've only ever experienced pad fade with the 16P calipers. That was partly cured by Mintex M1144 but even better results with DS2500 pads (bloody expensive) which got to the smoking hot, blue discs stage without any reduction in stopping power. My first upgrade would be to fit vented discs to spaced 16P calipers and return to M1144 pads which have a little more bite when cold/cool.

Nick

• 1 month later...