Egr Valves

Gerard

Well as a diesel frog-mobile owner, that's a given..... :P. How many times?

The one on my A6 is "inactive" (though the ECU doesn't know that) courtesy of a copper "gasket" with no hole in it.

This gives less smoke, more mpg and more grunt, but higher oil temperatures when I'm whipping it. It probably also produces more nitrogen oxides than it should......

I decided to a disable it after a look in the inlet manifold revealed that the services of a chimney sweep were needed, though I made do with a long, sharp screwdriver and the long-suffering garage hoover. I was getting lumps like barbeque briquettes out of it. Suspect that the runners in the head and valve backs are still ugly, but the turbo still blows enough air in past to give decent urge. Suspect some of the alleged 140 horses are now awol though.

Nick

Nick

I know a few people who've taken a peek in the manifolds of their EGR equipped diesels to find them absolutely clogged with soot.

I think diesels made in the last year or two are now tested on actual emissions rather than just measureable smoke so binning things like cats, particulate filters and EGR valves may no longer be an option.

Indeedy, bloody frog-mobiles. It's only started playing up these last 6 months. The car's 5 years old, but has only done 80000km.

having read up a bit, it's a very common problem. Another problem is these engines are a joint PSA/Ford project, and I've never heard anything positive from Fjord's school of enginee cobbling things together.

Allegedly, with it being the 1.6 HDI (92 bhp, no FAP stop sn*****ing reddit readers) I can't blank the bugger off, or the ECU goes bonkers and the consumption drops to 30mpg.

Looks like I'll be spending a Sunday with dirty hands and a bucket of acetone :/

All that said, ' exhaust gas recycling'. What a bloody stupid idea.

I'm all for low emissions and other tree hugger, polar-bear-saving philosophies, but this system looks like a "hey, guzzles diesel and breaks after a while, we'll make sooo much money!" idea.

Yes, looks like simple bypass not an option.

Colleague has one of these engines in a Focus. It's the Econetic (or some such bollox) but in spite of pitiful performance it fails to beat my geriatric Audi in the mpg stakes even though the Audi weighs 400kg more and will easily leave it for dead..... This must be progress in diesel technology. The audi can also out-smoke it it of course :D

In fact it's strategy for meeting it's "promised" mpg is usually to break down so it has to complete the journey on a low loader burning someone elses' fuel.......!

Nick

The EGR sends inert gas( supposedly because it has been exhausted by the engine) back into the intake to lower combustion chamber temps to lower NO (nitrogen oxides). They have been eliminated on most modern PI engines so a better way to lower NO must have been found. How lowering the combution chamber temp on a compression ignition engine makes sense I don.t know. I've cleaned clogged egr tubes with a length of speedo cable chucked into a drill. Like clearing a clogged drain.

Well, it cleared itself just as I went to the garage to read the code...

Apparently, these electric egr valves get soot and crap all over the electronic bits, so replacement is adviseable.

Yeah, 550€ + work... I'd rather plunge that in the Triumph.

That said, it's not a guaranteed MoT (equivalent) failure.

Gonna have to find a fix... eventually.

• 2 weeks later...

egr is absolute crap!!!! what about the new generation particle filters even worse on euro5 cars....ie i work at citroen dealer getting cars in at 1000 miles with particle filters clogged and guess what not always covered under warranty ,little old ladies doing short journeys not doing regenerations fucking nightmares...subaru have a dpf light that comes on when its getting clogged and the handbook tells them to get on motorway and do steady 70 mph till light goes out ...had car in got on motorway 30 miles later light went out absolute crap you try explain it to customers..buy a 5 year old car less problems

Yep, work had major hassles with a VW Transporter, which killed 2 particulate filters even though it only ever gets used on long runs by a man noted for his heavy right foot. Both put their final "death" light on while in the hands of the dealer, with vehicle still well within the warranty period. They still wanted paying (BIG money) and there was a fight - blood and fur on walls - the first time. Was replaced with a Renault when its time was up. Nothing has fallen off that yet, but it's only 6 months old.......

Nick

Maybe there is something to be said for all these anti-smoke features.

This morning I was in a long line of cars behind a tractor. At the first straight bit 5 or 6 of the diesel cars ahead booted it to get past the tractor. The amount of smoke was unbelievable, it was as if the sun had been switched off!

Maybe there is something to be said for all these anti-smoke features.

This morning I was in a long line of cars behind a tractor. At the first straight bit 5 or 6 of the diesel cars ahead booted it to get past the tractor. The amount of smoke was unbelievable, it was as if the sun had been switched off!

Mine used to produce a very dense smokescreen in similar conditions (all the EGR soot being dumped into the inlet manifold and settling out, then being blown through when boost comes up) and was cured by EGR disablement.

Even the latest anti-smoke features are liable to go into "regenerate" mode under similar circumstances to burn off all the soot they've collected while pootling along and that can produce a fair old cloud as well.

The problem with the Tesla apparently is if the batteries discharge too far they turn into "bricks" and have to be renewed at major expense.

http://jalopnik.com/5887265/tesla-motors-devastating-design-problem

Nick

That's because you're not supposed to stamp on the throttle with a diesel. I've never had a cloud of black smoke behind me, ever.

'Feathering' the throttle is much healthier.

That said, these regeneration, DPF's and othersuch junk is a completely different kettle of chordates...

That link... :blink:

I'll wait a bit then, it's not like I've got 50 grand hanging about in any case :/

My Passat would give out a good smokescreen if I'd just chugged around for a few days then booted it.

No such belching with the BMW, the exhaust is still spotless after 15,000 miles. Sometimes it does smell a bit funny which I presume is the filter re-generating. I just hope it all keeps on working..........