Crush bending cold drawn steel / tubing

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if your going to so much trouble why not look at a full space frame to replace the full chassis?

Really wish I'd gone that route - if I bend it I will produce a completely new chassis - infact bugger it I will for phase II - which is 450bhp T5 lump - think I might need it though ;D ;D

A couple of years back, John Thomason had a TSSC mag report which was about someone who looked into the torsional flex of a bare Spitty chassis and measured the rigidity of it. Might have been an engineering student thesis or something???

They then added something to the top but off the top of my head I can't remember what but it made a massive difference.

I'll have a copy somewhere but got no idea where, and prob no time to find it for a while either :(

Won't help your designing but should give some clues.

Yours

Mark

A couple of years back, John Thomason had a TSSC mag report which was about someone who looked into the torsional flex of a bare Spitty chassis and measured the rigidity of it. Might have been an engineering student thesis or something???

They then added something to the top but off the top of my head I can't remember what but it made a massive difference.

I'll have a copy somewhere but got no idea where, and prob no time to find it for a while either :(

Won't help your designing but should give some clues.

Yours

Mark

Yeah JD posted a link on here recenlty - can't remeber where though - seem to recall what made the difference was a longitudinal brace from the rear cage to the front - I've a copy at home - Jd can you point us in the direct of your post/link??

Dave - have you thought about filling the chassis with expanding builders foam - can't seem to source the stuff they use in strengthening boats atm - but builders foams has similar properties - going to do that to mine - minimal weight but might offer some form a resistance to twist

google 'Sandwich plate system' - long term I'm making a second alloy floor and honey combe it the fill it - Andy on this board can you give a spec/source for this material used in SPS type work - ta

ps - been doing a bit of thinking out of the box - but unfortunatly had to do some work at work today so not much posting!!!!

No Mark hadnt thought of that. My doors and bootlid are sandwich construction. Thin wall > Honeycomb/Foam > Thin wall. They are incredibly stiff you can stand a 14 stone man on the door skin bang in the middle and it won't break. Bootlid is 10x as stiff as a normal steel one without the support frame fitted.

Maybe thats reliant on  it being a good laminate structure? You know the whole lot is bonded down and laminated forming a stiff panel aircraft wings are the same on stunt planes just carbon fibre skinned. Not sure how it would react within a chassis. I think are loads are too great and the movement is too minimal? If you could start from scratch a carbon chassis using sandwich construction would be the way forward but using it in a crusty old chassis...

I've given it more thought too.

Interesting stuff though - going to give it a go up the front end and see what happens??

funny my chassis actually came off a 1981 spit which had 21k on the clock and was asre ended - picked it up in 1989 - its been dryed stored ever since - so its pretty mint inside and out - but like most things good they really don't deserve to go on concours cars and should end up wrapped around some armco I say(stars)(stars)

Free basic CAD software yes, but one that does FEA as well, no...

Perhaps one of these, but I don't have experience with any of them.

http://www.freebyte.com/cad/fea.htm

FYI I did start on modelling the spitfire chassis in Solid Works, but my computer was too slow. ::)

You really need a fast dual or quad core pc, especially for the stress analysis.

F.

I think foam only has a meaningful effect on thin-skinned structures where you need something to maintain the section. It relies on a good bond between the surfaces or it does nothing. Would maybe help a very thin walled steel box section, but not something you'd find in a Spitfire chassis.

Don't know of any free software - sorry.  That kind of thing tends to be fiercely expensive.  Wouldn't surprised if somewhere on here has access though....

That's a good article - thanks for that link Frederick.  I met Ian Horsfall at Castle Coombe  a while back and we talked about CV conversions....  very knowledgable guy.

Interesting that comment about the extra cross member at the rear - I have several times toyed with the idea of linking the rear outriggers on the Vitesse - which would be the same thing.  The Vitesse side rails are pretty weedy - were I replacing I would use proper box section and box the front and centre outriggers.  I have also thought about making proper sills to tie the front and rear sections of the tub together properly and linking them in properly with the chassis centre rails.  People froth at the mouth when you talk about welding body and chassis together, but in fact, provided you have everything lined up first and can't really see any major downsides and it will force the two sturcture to function together rather tahn semi-independently - which has got to help stiffness.  For me though this is all part of a project which doesn't exist (yet).  The Vitesse is a floppy old thing - which is why I don't bother with stiff springs!

On a Spit (or GT6), the simple ideas to take away are; an extra crossmember at the rear (and probably at the front if you've got space) will help quite a bit, and also, if you can find a way to extend the outriggers to the sills (below or above the floors) and join the two structures together proper (welding!!) then you are likely to see another big gain.  The Spit sills are surely much stronger that that feeble U section siderail on the Herald/Vitesse....

As regards FEA and rigs.... the rig pictured in that article is actually pretty simple and could be mocked up in a garage pretty cheaply and easily.  To get meaningful results from FEA you would need to do this anyway to get starting point data - unless you can persuade Ian or his student to lend you theirs.  Probably worth speaking to Ian about it anyway - I have his email somewhere I think.

Cheers

Nick

Edit:  Typing too slow.... someone with FEA access already found  :P (they probably should have kept quiet  ;D).  Board dead...... I don't think so  ;)