Crush bending cold drawn steel / tubing

John, no need to send it, I've got an original Dutch WSM with the same picture.

Problem with this picture is a lot of the dimensions are referenced to bolt holes.

I don't need bolt holes, I need beam dimensions.

Thanks Reinald, but buying a chassis just to take dimensions is a bit much.

Frederick

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but I'm sure you can get real Spitfire data here.

JOhn

Oh yes - the iconic Spitfire

Frederick - if you can get it to handle like that one you will make a 100000 eur

http://mccoy.nu/spitfire_mkIIa.jpg

Serious though - got full blown 3d CAD packages at work - thinking about it could get the chassis lazer scaned and built into a 3D model - humm!!!!

I thought only the outriggers were different on the Vitesse/Herald chassis?

Serious though - got full blown 3d CAD packages at work - thinking about it could get the chassis lazer scaned and built into a 3D model - humm!!!!

WoW! Big enough to scan an entire chassis?!

You would still have a lot of work afterward I think, making every part hollow.

Frederick

i have a mkII chassis here, it's prepared for rotoflex and in a very good condition. it's in my friends workshop = dry & heated & illuminated. if you like to do your measurements and between cologne and düsseldorf is not too far, just drop me note.

harry

Guys,

I've got one of those 'spirit level' lasers - would that be strong enough to scan a whole car?

But please educate me.  What can you do with the images?

I'm not that interested in CAD of the establised design, chassi or body, but I've long wanted  to get aerodynamic data on a Triumph, and to look at aero mods.

A well known company called CHAM sells a CFD program called Phoenics, an early version of which is available as shareware.

Ages ago I looked at using this, and even attended a seminar at CHAM, but they advised me then that inputting the mesh by hand might take, "Ooooh, two, three weeks?  Maybe more!" I never did it.

The 'David' program does small objects (the motorbike was a model).    Could it scan a whole car, or else could small pics be stitched together?

And could it generate an appropriate CFD mesh?

John

Well, you could easily try it out if that kind of line laser is strong enough :-).

You need to consider that you would need a reference plane that is probably 6 by 2.5 meters  to get a proper coverage. If you still can get a proper line with enough contrast in your webcam it should be alright. It might be easier to do it in low light conditions, i.e. at night.

give it a try!

Reinald

nice one. you need to add the combustion chamber. and some valves. And then you could virtually flow them :)

but actually, since that is pretty simple and a flowbench already adds quite a lot of information for cylinderhead tuning, I would consider doing a CFD of the Spitfire as a lot more interesting and maybe more rewarding, even though in classic racing we are really limited in what we can do with the bodywork.

I need to get some CFD software...

Reinald

I have been playing around with infrared light for a touchscreen project.

You can buy infrared lasers - that coupled with a filter on a camera (webcam) to block out everything but that wavelength means you get rid of lots of useless data. Could be interesting.

if you can use that -- brilliant :)

but it is somehow the difference between a 2-figure DIY solution, a 3-figure cheapo solution and a 5-figure (if that is enough) pro-solution !

I think I will get some chalk-spray to get the black model better scannable, and get started. I've seen some advertisements in the UK racing business that offer scanning of cars as a service, so you'll get the result of 5-figure pro-equipment probably for a 4-figure number....

Reinald