Muscle Building.

Oracle

Think I'm ready for some weight lifting, nothing too serious.

First job is to ebay up a cheap used incline bench so I can start growing breasts.

I got weights already but I'm not happy doing static lifts as I seem to be quite strong considering I'm a skinny. I need alot of weight to get the rep's down, concerned I'll end up compressed under the bar as I don't have access to a spotter  ;D

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/weights-bench-PRO-POWER-MULTI-USE-/280635040413?pt=UK_Strength_Training&hash=item415726e29d

That looks good for stomach crunches and chest work with dumbbells.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/York-Weight-Bench-/160549137116?pt=UK_Strength_Training&hash=item2561796adc

Good for the rest. Nowt too complex needed I'm not aiming to be Arnold, just a mini-Arnold.

I've got my back in pretty solid shape now doing stretches. I've been limbering up the rest with that Tai-Chi shit.

Stretching makes life so much easier! I wouldn't contemplate lifting a weight unless I've max'ed my freedom of movement first.

I think Tim was right, I've been cranking up the calories recently to get some mass on me. I reckon if I want to cycle and build muscle I gotta break it down into a schedule of some kind and formulate a plan, it's not light work this keeping in shape lark. Winter and stiff feeling isn't helping.

Gotta work out a diet and a regime.

Don't intend to go mad, just want to pucker up a bit.

Almost brought a rowing machine the other night, ebay, local.

I'm eating a very same'y diet atm, alteast I don't have a great desire for exotic food :)

I reckon I'm on the right path now as I have quit all forms of junk food, fatty stuff and I cook up all meals from scratch, I cook all the meals here, so I have control, also no sugar, this lightens the wallet load weekly enabling more quality foods to be purchased and eaten.

I'm finding the load at the checkouts has lightened quite a bit. I am ok eating what I'm eating atm, to stay at this target weight for cycling, about 58-60kilos. I've got good energy levels too. 2hrs on the bike I don't even notice I've been out, yesterday hurt a bit that's the furthest I've been time wise in my life I think, in one sitting with no breaks more than 2-3mins.

I think it's more of working out a way to add in another meal or two per day on set days but of something really simple/cheap and protein loaded.

I've lost some muscle mass on my legs now as I've not been climbing on the roady stuck in bottom-gear forcing it up the Beacon, the quads are smaller but the backs of my legs and arse and calfs are bigger, so I've shifted balance and I feel stronger as a result. I'm not interested in making my legs much bigger, it's not needed.

I read I have to eat 1.5 grams of protein per day per pound of mass, for muscle building, that's 132grams of proteins per day.

Should be aiming for 3000-4000 calories over about 5 meals.

No interest in buying protein supplements I like natural methods.

Some googlin should help.

I don't consume much saturated fat bar about 50grams of cheese a day.

We all have different physioligies, I gain muscle  with little effort. My last regimen about 10 years ago I put on 15 to 20 lbs in 6 months or so , 5'10" and 185lbs. Am currently 210 , at 56 years of age different body changes make it a challenge to maintain.

What worked best for me was pyramiding the weights. ie start at 8-10 reps  of benching 125, add 20 do 8 more add 20 ,more add 20 more until only one or 2 reps can be obtained. If energetic that day work backwards on top of that. Always a good idea to finish off with a light weight and do 8-10 reps.

On an incline bench I was able to work up to about 290lbs, and usually a total of 90 or so reps. Same on butterflies pulldowns and tricep workouts. An issue was loss of flexibility, ruined my golf game. I tend now to only do lighter weights more for strength than mass. Also did a lot of ribcage expanding lifts as well as shoulders. Keeping the core area strength is paramount so pay attention to the abdominal exercises, they will take the load off the back.

In conjunction with the squash for reflex and aerobics I work a heavy bag with gloves. Ask the 220lb apeman body builder whom I decked with a shot to the jaw if that doesn't create striking power. I get pissed when people don't put away the weights and wipe their sweat off the benches. Making a threatening move to intimidate me didn't work so well for him. But then I was only 50, I'm much more mature now  ;D

A set of olympic style weights are good, for hand spacing as the bars are longer, plus the weights are free to slide off by tipping if you can't get them off your chest, they make a huge racket when they fall off.

But then again... Dave.. Manic... 180lbs of muscle ,,,, forget it, stay scrawny.

Certainly been a redistribution of my assets since started running seriously. The weights work in the gym has had a positive impact too. Nothing major, but i'm aware bits of my body shape have changed :).

I'd be mindful not to overdo things on muscle building. Whilst i'm sure they're on protein supplements and shakes, the gym is awash with young boys and men fashionably out of proportion; 'Big Guns' arms, chest and snake-like hips :-/ It literally takes them 6-8 weeks to make real progress but, they all shuffle around like little gorillas with piles, not an entirelly appealing sight for me or the ladies?

Interesting read, you're dead on about the reflex power, squash, the stretches I do mean I engage more muscle fibres in my movement, makes me deceptively strong I think and less prone to pulling stuff or injury. The roller I painfully roll my legs out with crushes down the muscles and viens and gives that crisp energy of movement, fluid.

Suppose thats like martial arts isn't it, don't need big muscles when they work well and sharp.

You need to be in condition for sure, that takes time if you let yourself slide and you need to work at staying in the sweetspot, diet is vital I'm dead into my garlic daily and my oily fish. Most winters I give up and get lazy but this winter I've gone on and lost no fitness, probably gained none but lost none.

I've noticed I have to keep a cap on myself when I am feeling pumped up, especially after bad poker days as my level of anger and aggression get a bit scetchy if I let it get into my soul, working out after eating carbs in the morning really boosts my testosterone levels, lucky winter keeps me down a bit. I could use an outlet for my anger, have to think then act :)

I'm 5'8", not overly boney, not sure I could hit 180 :) Maybe 150-155. That's 10kilos of muscle. That's quite a bit.

I'm looking for just a nice even balance Bruce, a nice natural shape.

Nothing crazy, I've got a nice form to my body, it's well proportioned and shaped better now I have stretched it to take a decent form and got my shoulders and neck in a better position, I could tune it to be very tasteful and workable, I just want some pecks and more mass, it has to be useable I've no interest in being an inflexible gym bunny. I'm more looking for a slightly enlarged swimmer tone.

Bit gay pride but something like this? I'm young enough to achieve it. Could be a nice evening project. I could use the muscles then to do some triathlons with uncle Bruce?  ;D Ideally sized to do most forms of working out, climbing, running, swimming, not too much mass to screw up my cycling either. That's important.

Umm err well then.. you would need to do both incline and decline bench plus do butterflies to enlarge the 3 main pectorals. expand the rib cage by doing a standing close gripped vertical pull up, about even to the neck, elbows out and extended, that also works the shoulders and neck.Fewer reps but more sets, say about 8 reps times 5-6 sets, start at 2-3 sets with light weights and more reps til muscle gets endurance then start the less rep and more sets. The core belt muscle needs to be worked to prevent that freakish thin waist thing, keeps muscle on the side and better proportion, also makes for a lot more usable strength. That area carries the rest of the body and transfers power and motion so is critical.

Myself I may have a 48 in chest but have a 36" waist  rather than 30. so still relatively portioned

I like Bruces comment on the Gorillas with piles , there is a price to be paid for all that quick gain, none of that for me. Just lucky enough to have the body type that gains fast and naturally.

I don't make a habit of clouting people anymore since my bar days, it hurts my knuckles, I'm getting brittle. And remorseful as well, but then the last guy did ask for it, but I still felt like a bully, it wasn't a very fair exchange.. He was a part of a big Middle-East crowd that hangs out at the gym. I figured they would all be waiting outside ready to stab me in the ass with a screwdriver. Didn't see him again for weeks, then he just nodded and grunted hi.  They must have figured I was a cop or something.

So get the creatine from red meats , get the protein down in front and behind the workout, and eat a balanced diet, stress the triceps they are for go, biceps are just for show. A trim upper body in a t shirt does get the ladies attention, in a good way, gorilla looks just state that you are exactly that.

Cheers Tim " just call me Thag the Troglodite"

I'm gonna make sure I do research before wade'in too hard. Thanks for the advise. You've knowledge I appreciate. Cheers.

On a prep note:

[media width=600]

[/media]

I'm liking the natural stuff by this dude, I'll start by doing his weightless stuff to get in trim, he's on the level, must say I've just done the above work out, complete, I'm destroyed!  ;D  

I can tell my legs are gonna ache tomorrow. It's been good as I've found areas I just don't use at all on the bike, limbered up quite a bit  :o  I need to do this type of stuff to stop becoming too routined, that's where your squash comes in, or tennis or something, I'm quite stiff outside of the cycling motion.

Harder work doing that stuff than pumping up a 16% incline for 4miles on the bike.

Off for a hot bath and a read.

In the gym this afternoon- young dude came in (angry metal T-shirt, baseball cap and joggers). His mate says: "What you doin' today?" he says:"Chest and arms" "Sweet".  ::)

Tim- top info there :).

This'll be a good thread. More than happy to do a Tri with you Dave 8)- these events are great fun all round. How's your swimming? that'll be a great upper body workout in itself.

Swimming, I can swim all the strokes, just badly. Tread water like navel war victim :) Float well.

I need my nose fixed really it's becoming a bind, always inhaling water on my bike or gagging for breath when drinking, it'll really mess up my swimming, can't breathe through it somedays, never any use. NHS will do it for me, it hampers my breathing all the time, as it lowers the ease with which I can breathe and increases resistance to breathing.

Hurts to walk today, it's painful. About to get the roller on the go. Found some muscles my arse I never knew I had.

I need my nose fixed really it's becoming a bind, always inhaling water on my bike or gagging for breath when drinking, it'll really mess up my swimming, can't breathe through it somedays, never any use. NHS will do it for me, it hampers my breathing all the time, as it lowers the ease with which I can breathe and increases resistance to breathing.

Dave,

All my life my breathing has been less than perfect.  Hence not a real athlete.

A few years ago I bought a box of the Breathrites nose expanding adhesives.  A total revelation!!

I wondered if a surgeon could do to my nose what those strips did??  I'm getting old so it's hardly worth the effort but a young buck like yourself might benefit mightily from such a rhinoplasty.... ;)

Many F1 drivers use them, Rubens for example.

It would help as if I bend my nose straight it works for a bit till it reverts to semi Alain Prost stance.

It's having to be probed and poked that holds me back.

It used to be a nicer shape before the 2nd breakage.

If they reset the nose and snip some of the cartilidge out they most likely will dump medicinal grade cocaine in there first, numbs it all while they work.

"Sweet"

For me now I can't work out the muscle groups maybe once twice a week tops. Upper body chest and shoulders ,then next time arms and lower body, never on the same day. Into your fifties it takes a lot longer to recover from a workout, but I can maintain conditioning with as little as 2-3 short sessions a week, giving the muscle groups 3-4 days rest in between. Younguns such as you and Bruce can certainly get by on a lot less recovery time, even when burning and tearing muscle for bulk building. Work smarter rather than harder, give the muscles time to recoup and rebuild after burning them. For bulk and strength 10-12 reps is too much 8 or so is good , if you can do more without burn or getting shaky you are not doing enough weight. Still after a short rest you should be into 3-6 sets of reps. Different people do react differently so just a general guideline, and of course you need to build stamina to get to that point.

An indication for me when I might be losing strength and maybe need to step up a workout is things like straight arming a car battery into the pickup bed, things you take for granted, everyday tasks, if I struggle with common things I have always been able to do, step it up. I want to still be doing the same things into my 60's and 70's . I played Sharrif Kahn and his old man during an exhibition squash match, I was 50, Shariff 60, his dad 81.

Guess who got his arse handed to him?

So many folks in bad shape around here you are automatically sanctimonious. I climb up the footpaths on the hills, young people, sub 30, out of shape just ignore me, totally blank me.

The inshape ones smile and get a nod etc. It's like peering into people souls.

I get those dirty little looks all over the place, someones guilt envy displayed all over their face, usually shopping, the person who's basket 10x larger than my 4 days worth.

I've kinda been there, you know, it's a trap.

Plenty of health folks about too :)

They remove the effect from the cocaine, sadly ;D The physicals yes. Obviously I am a manic, so I've had a few lines in my time...not too many though and none for a decade, we got sent some in the post from a mate in Peru, made it through, it was pure, A-Grade dynamite, 1 gram, lasted me and my mate about a week of amusing evenings, lost all the feeling in my nose, 4 front teeth and my tongue and throat, obviously my ego was inflated to a simply massive size, almost epic proportions. I don't like myself on cocaine but it's most amusing, but it's fun once in a blue moon in the right company. Few whiskies helps with the Tony Montana mindset and full blown hedonism.

Learnt all about resting now from my cycling, I overdid that, can feel exactly the time I'm doing too many days, the fatigue, it's ugly. As a result of that work out last night I'll need another 36hrs rest on my legs I reckon. Next time much less. He was bang on destroyed every fibre in my legs.

Most people just give up at 30, time for the armchair, never get out of breath, I saw tonnes of 70+ males in New Zealand, all swimming in the am, running and cycling, Britain has a real chair lifestyle. My relatives are in good shape but for example my uncle, he's 70. He could be running marathons and beating 20year olds, he's got so much potential, as he didn't drink and smoke or eat bad.

Being old is partly a lifestyle choice. You got guys like Bruce Forsythe etc, 81? He stretches daily, dances like a kid, he's a grafter that's why.

You earn the right to play squash at 81 :) Lots of people are just in a dreamworld where you just end up being supple and fit in old age. My neighbour, he's going down really fast, it's cause he's just lazy and sits about all day, he could be standing tall and walking with a spring, but he doesn't earn it.

It's having to be probed and poked that holds me back.

I can assure you that this is lesser of the evils, the pre-op bit bit is tame, and they knock you during so that is ok (at least they did me, and I have had two nose ops so far!!).

The worst bit for me is recovering, cause when they do the op they put cotton tampon things up to soak up the blood, getting those removed is worse than having a catheter removed!!

Like Steve, I have been having constant problem with my nose since my car crash, they fixed me up first time, but the inside of my nose healed together. Second time they seperated them, however said that if any further work needed to be done they would have to re-break my nose. I keep thinking about it, however Glasgow being Glasgow I have now had my nose broken twice within the last 12 months (why do people assume skinny guys are easy targets??) and oddly enough, each time it gets easier to breath!! I reckon another break might just do it, bring me back to 95+%, we shall have to see  8)

My right nostril is slightly bent inside- sometimes makes breathing a bit of a pain combined with a weird sinus thing I have related to my asthma. The consultant said it was up to me if I wanted it done. Not sure I want anything stuck up it... and having the packing in my nose afterwards makes me squeamish enough.

My brother was in intensive care after almost dying from pneumonia - he had to have four nurses hold him down when they inserted a catheter and he was pretty much out of all energy.

I should guess that the cartlidge is blocking one side, and because it is bent the skin is being tightened acoss the other side?? Just guessing mind you, I sure as hell ain't no doctor!! Quite the contrary, I will be more than glad to never see another hospital again.

Hope you get it sorted, I find it helps my calm amazingly being able to breath through my nose instead of my mouth, more relaxed.