Vitesse project

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't know that they changed the wiper position on the Vitesse .... I always assumed that nothing was changed on the bodytub.

Then I need the wiper mechanism from a Herald to fit to that front end ?

Originality doesn't concern me because in the end it will look like a Herald 12/50, but it will hopefully have powerfull Vitesse mechanics  ;D

Without wanting to sound like some anorak judge at a classic car meet, the bulkhead for a Mk2 should have the wide spaced wiper posts.

The LHS post should be on the outside of the screen washer jet!

Only on late ones, design changed in 1969. Same change on late Heralds.

I believe that the change occured from August 1969.

My Herald and Vitesse both have the original arrangement, but I never noticed any problem with washer jets or wipers...

My Herald 1200 Cv was built in early 1967, and the bulkhead on my Vitesse originated on a 1969 Herald 13/60 Cv.

Regards

Léon

• 2 weeks later...

I do not seem to have a record of the ball bearing races used, which is strange, as I thought I did, but I can ask my supplier, who may still hav ethat information as mine was not the only set made.

The end caps are stainless steel, not alloy.

and yes they do.

Here's my only other photo, taken in falling light, which is why it's a little fuzzy, like my memory.

L

Yes it was me that did that modification in fact.

It entails boring out (line boring) the wishbone bushes and fitting klnj 1 1/8" bearing I think was the size.

SO,- I/D bore is the bolt size, O/D the new wishbone bore size and the spacers have to be JUST the right length, so there's no free play, but no friction either.

(so it's the length of the orginal spacer minus the bearing width divided by 2 to get the right length half spacers)

To be honest it was better using 2 bearings and single spacer between them, because if a little moisture gets in there, the bearings don't last long.

It looks to me like SP used a non STD bolt and spacer.

I didn't want to do that for compatibility reasons and the original bolt is cadmium plated (or should be)

The whole lot I packed with grease and sealed with O rings.

It was a very nice mod, but even better if you rose joint the radius arms one end too.

Yes it was me that did that modification in fact.

It entails boring out (line boring) the wishbone bushes and fitting klnj 1 1/8" bearing I think was the size.

My memory is a bit fuzzy as well but I have a note in my original GT book correcting that bearing number to KLNJ 1 1/2 or R8.  I explored it at one time but went a different route entirely.  

HTH, Steve

Think you will find it's KLNJ 1 1/8". 1.175".

The bores of the wishbone are so rough and nasty, you have to line-bore it, to get the eyes to be in line at all.  ;D

Reproducing my understanding of it from so long ago...

The bearing manual lists the KLNJ 1-1/8 as a 1.125 bore, a 2.125 OD and a .375 width.  These are Inch Single Row Radial Extra Light Series Unshielded bearings.

Wanting to use the stock bolts, I went up column to the R8/ KLNJ 1/2 with a .500 bore.  NOT the 1-1/2 as I mistakenly wrote above.

The full spec of the KLNJ 1/2 is a .500 bore, a 1-1/8" OD and a .375 width.  I think the OD is what's sticking in your memory.

BTW, that KLNJ is listed as the old RHP number while the new number is R8 and R18 respectively.

No disrespect intended here, just trying to help ;)

SP did use stock cadmium plated bolts in mine.

So I take it, from all of the above info kindly supplied by SS, that in order to have used the stock bolts, my bearings must be the KLNJ 1/2" R8 with 0.500: bore, 1 1/8" OD & 0.375" width.

ps, GT, you should know that SP did not claim the work was his, but 1990 was 18 years ago, and he may have told me that it was your work, but I honestly cannot remember.

His wife, 'B' did mention something about your oily shoes and her white carpet though!

L