Private couriers... ARGH!

Gerard

What is the point of these buggers?

I have been waiting THREE WEEKS for a package. They finally attempted to deliver it yesterday afternoon  ::)

I was expecting the 'normal' postal service, so put my home address. But it's bloody FedEx  >:(

"Unable to release: Business closed"

Obviously! My house is not a fucking business is it?

*DERNIER PASSAGE* as If they've been trying for ages to get in touch with me...

So what about he request from the sender to call me before delivery? Bollocks to that...to complicated  to hit 9 numbers on a bloody phone.

So I call them;

Gerard: "I see that the package will be returned to sender. The package, according to your tracking system is at a depot in Kleinbettingen. Could I go pick it up this evening?"

FedEx: "No"

Gerard: "Oh. Can I change the delivery address to my office then?"

FedEx: "No"

Gerard: "Riiiiight. My wife is at home Monday morning, could you deliver it then?"

FedEx: "We can't guarantee a delivery time unfortunately."

Gerard: "So how can I get my package"

FedEx: "Fill the back of the paper the driver left, saying they can drop it without a signature, and sellotape it to your front door. We'll deliver it later today"

Gerard: "I'm at work, just like you... that a physical impossibility, unless you have the secrets of time travel or bending space-time to teleport me home in an instant"

FedEx: "Ah. Uh... OK. Monday then?"

Pff....

So I've filled in their silly form, up to a point:

"Secure location where packages can be left" AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Should I put "My bleeding doorstep. This isn't Gotham City but Batman is watching!"?

You can bet your bottom dollar that If I take Monday off, they won't fucking turn up.

I hate ebay buying. Example my springs for the BMW. £12.00....postage £15.

I email them to tell them to use interparcel for £8.99. Na not interested. £15 for a package to be sent via parcelforce is the correct price, and it's a f'ing ripoff.

£20 for special delivery from royalmail...and they don't even collect it from the sender.

This country has some of the most retarded postal rates in the world.

DHL/UPS etc will collect from your house and deliver for £10 via a broker...

Why do people insist on giving parcelfarce and royalmail business?

Oh don't get me started on UPS.

in 06 when they dropped off my transmission my wife signed and paid the taxes on it.

They lost the transaction and had the nerve to tell me it was burden of proof on my part.

I let it go to their collection agency and then produced the paper work showing their clerical error.

Never using BROWN again.

Fed-EX has been decent, but for sheer simplicity I use Canada Post, $5.00 broker fee and they will drop it at the post office if no one is home. So simple.

Hell I had a UPS guy try and deliver a package for me to the wrong house. Dickhead inverted the address numbers. I freaked on their customer service. I mean that's what the guy does for a living feliver packages to an address. How hard can that be. I recommended he go back to grade 1 and learn to read again. The CS lady giggled.

SIGH.

A.

At least the snail mail displays intelligence; When the grumbling old codger of a postman has something to deliver and it's too big for the letter box, he either:

1. Checks if one of my neighbours is in, and drops it there.

2. if it looks extremely valuable (rare event) drops a note saying "pick up from post office. Will be in Arlon" (bigger PO, open later etc...)

3. Leaves it on the doorstep hidden by some of our leftover concrete, or wedged in the door (once).

There again, "La Poste" isn't a bloody profiteering private company like for you poor sods. What happened to "public service"?

FedUp(OfWorking) probably want me to traipse up to bleeding Brussels or Cologne if I want to collect. Dumb Bastards.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh..ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!  ;D

Makes russian post look like a dream (1 month to deliver a small packet from one part of Moscow to another).

Or;- 10 days to deliver a small parcel to St Petersburg, despite guaranteeing 3 (delivery driver was ill!).

Or the conrod sent from Gorky to Moscow that took 5 weeks!

Now you know why I ALWAYS deliver stuff myself....33 hrs on a train followed by 6 hrs on a bus GETS THINGS DONE

ON TIME.

I gave up relying on rip off Britain for anything at all years ago, after the spectacular mess they made of delivering an engine to Lyon.

Arrived first time with an ear missing (off a cracked block), then after it had been sent back on warranty, was redelivered with a more or less completely flat sump  ::)

3rd time lucky....(wasn't my engine on the 1st 2 occasions), I went down to Lyon with another engine in the boot of the car.

Result:- it's still running happily 2 years later!

Conclusion, don't trust anyone else with something you could organise and do yourself, least of all if it has to go thru some form of customs area!  :o

Lucky for us, UK is a smaller country.

I bought a gearbox, from Devon - I'm in Lancashire.

I was negotiating with a carrier, when the seller emails - could I meet him in Birmingham, for a handover?

Great idea, but not when he would be there - would he take it to a friend?

Of course!

So friend babysits my 'box for a few weeks, and he brings it up to me at next visit!

And in TSSC or CT several people who do a lot of travelling for work have offered to take such heavy bits of kit up or down our long thin country.

Such means are slow but cheap!

It's always worth exploring the  personal contacts, though I fear it wouldn't work in a country as wide as France or US.

John

Good Wayne!

Few stories about Amtrak...

The best one?

Bloke couldn't find the house I was at in Wales...

He must have tried everyday for about 4days, I called with directions etc.

Anyways, no sign of my parcel, call them, they say it was delivered, I said no it wasn't, checked the garden etc.

They say they will look into it...

Anyways a few days later a farmer arrives at the door, found my package over the hedge in his field when he was "checking" on his sheep.

So indirectly the package was delivered!

Picked up my packet. Thank got the blokes in Kleinbettingen circumvent company policy!

Other than that what a bloody disappointment.

Rocker cover studs too short.

Other studs completely wrong.

The Starter motor is probably the wrong one too.

:(

Anyways a few days later a farmer arrives at the door, found my package over the hedge in his field when he was "checking" on his sheep.

Sounds the guy just got fed up and ditched it. Now that is customer service. I'm with Andre stick to Canada Post, worst case scenario you have a 10 min drive to the local post office. On CBC did a show on Canada Post awhile ago, I remember hearing a story about them delivering a parcel to a musician with only his name written on the package when it was dropped into the box. Pity you guys have such a hard time. Especially resorting tog to delivering stuff yourself GT.... :o