The dyno's here?

Today was a sea change here at the Smith household.

Sold the beloved (and ignored) maroon E to Roger of Le Taxi fame.  He left a few minutes ago with it on a trailer.  21 years I had the car but it's going to a better home I hope.  Here's the empty spot it left

errata001.jpg

Empty hearts are not pictured.

He brought the dyno from Mordy, The Stig, to occupy my scant free time.  Ironically, I don't have a free engine just now to put in it.  I'll have to drag Spitsix over and take that engine as a learning mule.

errata004.jpg

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not at all...

I made the joke that I could now blow up engines from home and save the travel time.  That flat pissed off Kas and he said you never blow an engine on the dyno if you're paying attention.  I seem pretty talented at that but here's hoping Kas is right.... ;)

Hi Steve,

Sorry to hear you sold the E, they're great cars.

Went out last weekend in the roadster, still brings a smile to my face thinking about it. :)

That's a water brake dyno, isn't it?

I see gage is already attached to it. ;D

Man I can only dream about having one, you're so lucky.

How are you going to hook it up?

On the water "main" and into the sewer?

Would be interesting to see how it corresponds with the engine analyzer software.

Cheers,

Frederick

One of the really good drag race motor shops in town helps me out a lot.  I don't know why.

They would put my motor on their dyno for 100 Dollars an hour after the initial setup.  It wouldn't take long to equal the cost of this bugger.  Mind you, I'd learn more in an hour with Terry Kell that I'll get in a lifetime on my own.

Maybe when I'm set up I can get Terry and Sig (his wife) to stop by, they live nearby and may be willing?

The back to back tests of extractors and carburetors is what I'm after with this thing.  It costs a lot of money to go to the track and test.

Oh, Frederick, I still have the 69 E, a better all around car in my mind but nowhere near the raw excitement the 66 produced.

:o Very impressive! I can't wait to see what kind of conclusions you come to! Hopefully you will share your findings with us :D Although I understand if you don't want to leak to the competition ha ha ha

A bit more research tells me this thing is rated at 1000 HP and 10000 RPM.  Lordy!

How do we couple that many Triumph engines together? ::)

Well, we already know what happens at 10,000 rpm so you don't need to try that one again.......  :P

Nick

Steve,

How do you collect the data, rpm, lbs/ft, a pencil and then a calculator or something more modern?

Tim

There's no data aqusition yet.  Best idea I've heard so far is the operator speaks into a tape recorder announcing salient points and then transcrtibes later.

My profession is data acquisition.  It should be easy but none of the stuff I work with is affordable for the home shop.  Sadly, I tossed TONNES of stuff from while closing the old job never seeing this in my future.  I'll work out something....

Best idea I've heard so far is the operator speaks into a tape recorder announcing salient points and then transcribes later.

Over the noise of the engine?(stars)

If you've got a digital camera capable of recording video, why not aim if at the gages while performing the run.

Wonder if you could use the innovate inputs?

If I could get the bleedin expensive Innovate to work it would be ideal.  It's where I'll start.

Just now trying to fabricate the mounts for the engine.  It was set up for a TR4 but I'm not yet figuring out his rear mounts to the engine plate.  I'd have thought them identical with the same trans but so far only one side is matching up??

Pics soon...