spitfire to GT6 door conversion

mattp

The only other thing to be aware of is that the GT6 glass curves in at the top whereas the Spit glass is flat so once changed you don't get as good a seal against the hood.

Mind, my old vinyl hood was absolutely crap so another draft wasn't a problem really.  Recently had a mohair hood professionally fitted and that seals up okay.

Not that I drive with the hood up very often anyway.

Take care with the quaterlights as well, put plenty penetrating solution on the hinges before trying to open them, especially the passenger side as they probably haven't been opened as often as the drivers side.  Replacement glass is scarce and the top hinges are unobtanium (I think) if they snap.

Well worth doing for the improvement in driver comfort though.

Cheers

Mark

the plan is to run the spit with a hardtop which will be bolted to the roll hoop. no plans to remove the hardtop  as it'll be a fuel injected 1147cc eco-daily driver hence the desire to get some quarterlights fitted for ventilation....

since seeing this picture a while back,

philion.jpg

i've had the hankering to fit a mk4/1500 hardtop to a roundtail. i've got a steel one in stock  but am on the hunt for a fibreglass one to keep the weight down.

the mk4 hardtop gives the appearance of a lower roofline and coupled with the straight c pillar down to the bulge of the rear wing/arch, it reminds me of \/

1966_Mustang_Coupe_Vintage_Race_Car.jpg

just one of those things that floats my boat.............

Different screen, screen frame and I don't believe the early and late tops are interchangeable, without lots of work, like grafting a Mk3 windscreen frame on the Mk4, thats possible, you just swap the entire dash top over, drill some holes.

Screen frame part of the body on late cars, its removeable on the early ones.

hmmm, a bit confused now. my Mk4 steel hardtop and the omnibob bubble mk4 hardtop both fit. had them both bolted to the mk2 screen frame and with some custom bracketry to the b pillars. Current doors and glass are mk2, so what you are saying is the gt6 doors/quarterlights won't fit up against the screen frame and the hardtops i have shouldn't fit the mk2?