Waterpump impellors, was Rimmers

I ordered a set of radiator hoses from Rimmers via their website on Friday afternoon.  Delivered by Royal Mail Saturday morning - and it was the correct set too (Kevlar reinforced).  Can't complain about that for service! :)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the impellor rotation, that is a cut and dried fact as evidenced by the site linked.

http://www.pumpworld.com/centrif1.htm

The trick now is to find a scroll that matches our rotation.  The industrial one in my Photobucket link is correct but rather shallow.  Hmmm, much like myself...Nonetheless, we need to find a suitable donor with the correct rotation and deep scrolls.  99% of the WP's I open have stamped steel flat impellors.

Which might be ideal for most street cars come to that?  I need a high RPM pump.  Lots to think about here...

Here is a useful drawing.

Has anyone got one for the Dolomite?

I assume it will be just exactly the same as that for the Herald/Spitfire and other 4 cylinder rear wheel drive Triumphs as for the Dolomite, unless of course we are referring to the Dolomite Sprint, which is a quite different matter?

L

Hi Steve

So, maybee it`s back to the roots of the TR engine:

www.ytmag.com

http://www.ytmag.com/store/parts/pics/CPN8591B_.jpg

CPN8591B (old No FPN8591A)

Repairkit for 26,54$

I don`t know if it fits, but maybee worth a try.

Perhaps you can ask the dimensions on the phone?

Ford Tractor Parts

2N, 8N, 9N, 2000, 4000, 501, 600, 601 .....

T30897 is maybee also worth a look at?

cheers Harry

@ Royboy66

I would send it back and tell them that the item dosn`t look like the picture on the package! (devil2)

If I compare all the pictures and Leons drawing ... then I have to conclude that 2 people used a modified waterpump with the wrong impellor  :o

BUT it seems they both didn't have any overheating issues  :D

Maybe a standard waterpump is good enough even for a modified engine ... and the one that racetorations sell at the moment might give a substantional improvement over the original one ??

hmmmmm food for thought, so what's the issue with reversing the toothed belt and running it the other way round then?  ::)

The volute and cutwater (see pump link) would be backwards and it probably wouldn't pump anything.

I'll follow up on the Ford tractor repair kit shown above.

@ Royboy66

I would send it back and tell them that the item dosn`t look like the picture on the package! (devil2)

;D I might just do that!

right, so now we know that it should spin with the outside edges trailing the inners yeah?

Just need to find an impellor to fit now! :-/

This is a (stuffed) racetorations one... impellor died and shaft seals shafted after 2 years on 30% glycol... not sure if the impellor is right or not now but I think it was wrong!!

Well, I'd say it's wrong.  Will cup the water rather than spill it.

Belt driven pump will go the same way as the engine.  Slant 4 is driven by the jackshaft (direction of rotation preserved by the chain drive) then by a skew gear, which will reverse the direction of rotation.

However, all you're really doing is adding velocity to the water so just about anything with lumps on will work to an extent.  I mean look at the OE effort.. ::)

Cheers

Nick

Edit: a link that may help... http://www.jhwright.com/topics/reverse.htm

EDIT 2: Maybe you could change the pulley and belt run and drive it with the back of the belt.... hmm, but then that might be worse cause you might end up flowing your cooling system backwards...  ::)

I ordered the Ford kit Harry noted so we'll have a look in a couple of days.  It looks close to the right size based on the pump bearing in the picture.

Keep in mind that I'm doing this for a high RPM engine and cavitation is the primary motivator.  Then I want improved pressure and finally flow...

Got the Ford kit in the mail today and it looks VERY promising.  I'd advocate it immediately as an improvement on a street engine.  Complete kit with bearing, seal and a rough cast but usable 8 vane scroll pump impellor.  A beautiful kit.

I'll do some tests to see how it works out at high RPM's.  I have the large pulley pump on the car for Cal Speedway, I may well take it off and redo with the Ford kit because I'm not to enamored of the Racetorations impellor.

Pics tomorrow probably... :P