Waterpump impellors, was Rimmers

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Steve,

heres a link to those impellors...http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/cgi-bin/rimmer?findpart&PartID=149483&Page=triumph/dolomite/cooling.

Rimmers! >:(  I ordered 2x impellors on thursday, parcel arrived friday, but only 1x impellor! :o right part,but they couldnt count, quick call and they sending the other out!

The impellor is the same overall diameter as the stock gt6 one, and only around 10-20mm taller, the centre hole will need drilling out bigger,but looks enough meat on there to do that.

Whats the best way to get the old impellor off? :-/

Steve, let me know if you want me to get a couple more and post them out to you?

Hope you woke up less Grumy! ;)

Roy 8)

When i was the thread title in the rant section I wasn't sure if these was going to be a car related post.

i stop using rimmers when they kept not telling me stuff was out of stock - I kept having to phone up and reorder it, and then you're paying postage twice.

Then kippings started doing the same thing - it can't be that hard, can it?

I'm always checking out their nice big diagrams, but I understand your frustration. The wrong part is the wrong part.

That's the only reason I go to their site.  The diagram and the list of nuts/bolts etc are a good source.. then I order from British Parts Northwest. (states)  Never... VB.

They are very handy diagrams and I do occasionally order stuff from them if canleys don't have stock or haven't put it on their pages. I can't believe they don't have a headlamp section. Then I found that Rimmers adjusting kit didn't include the fixing screws (why would it?) and off to ebay instead.

What I don't understand is when you keep doing this little ordering farce, is why the Royal Mail is having any money problems at all. (Ok, so its because large businesses don't bulk send with them, but I'm sure little old me is keeping them going.)

Rimmer - don't get me started ::)

I used to shop at rimmers, but got tired of returning wrong items, waiting months and months for backordered stuff to arrive (they never mentioned what was backordered, it just came dripping in in small packets a few months later.

Has now been a happy customer with paddock for 5 years or so.

The only thing rimmer is good for is as a reference to prices when trying to sell stuff ;D ;D

Cheers

Nick

Thanx for the efforts Roy but that link doesn't work for me.  It keeps saying website not responding?

I'll do a search at Paddock etc, maybe even call Moss USA, and if no resoulution I'll exploit your kind offer.

I'd like to get this done before the Cal Speedway race at the beginning of March. :)

And Thanx for the concern, I'm not yet grumpy this morning ;D

Success, it finally worked, I think.  The site tells me I have four on express order.  Keeping my fingers crossed....

I've ordered two TR7 seals from Moss and received two GT6 water pumps yesterday.

I seperate the stock impellor by pressing the shaft and push the bearing out.  I'm only after that and the seal as I change the pulley as well.  My pump body is turned alloy and the prototype was done with a ceramic pump seal.  That was rather fiddly so I'll try using the stock seal if I can get it.  We'll see.  The ones in the stock pumps here should be reusable.

Hey James,

Since I did the golf Rad mods, its been fine at speeds over 40mph, but under that ,on a warm day, the fans come on a bit often for my liking, so I thought id try and improve the flow at lower revs.

Ive got a used GT6 w.pump in the shed, so for £8 for that impellor its worth a play eh!(I can get it machined if needed at work ;) ) cant be any worse than the standard one can it?

8)

I seperate the stock impellor by pressing the shaft and push the bearing out.  I'm only after that and the seal as I change the pulley as well.  My pump body is turned alloy and the prototype was done with a ceramic pump seal.  That was rather fiddly so I'll try using the stock seal if I can get it.  We'll see.  The ones in the stock pumps here should be reusable.

Steve, have you got a pic of a stock pump with impellor removed?  would like to see what the base of stock impellor looks like too? ;)

James,

This drifty thread is related to another here: http://www.sideways-technologies.co.uk/forum/Blah.pl?m-1227962559/s-58/#num58

My need for the impeller is twofold.  Firstly I'm expecting to see a higher pump pressure which is important to resist boiling.  Secondly I must eliminate cavitation caused by the straight pump vanes at the RPM's the racer sees.  I'm sure Roy will benefit from the first as the curved vanes are so much more efficient.

I'll get you some pics Roy as soon as the camera charges... ;D

They sent me some caliper kits, seal kits, the main piston seals had HOLES IN, like swiss cheese.

I phoned and complained and sent them back, sounded suprised I was bothered? Never seen such a poor item, they had HOLES IN for christs sake!. I could see the HOLES without even opening the wrapping. I got my kits from ebay after, really CHEAP and really GOOD quality.

The Ebay dustseals were excellent! Rimmers item was rubbish. TRW kits?

That said they haven't really let me down, bar sending out stuff that doesn't fit, but then everyone sells junk now, so whats the point in moaning! I genuinely expect to bin atleast 1/2 of the stuff I buy anyway?  :X :X Thats why I removed ALL traces of Triumph parts from my car!

Roy, Here's the back of the stock impellor.

Waterpump002.jpg

There's more views here:

http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/bb46/GT6Steve/Waterpump/

On reflection, this particular impellor would be happier if I'd drilled and tapped the two holes and used a puller to remove it.  With my method posted above the seal is binding now so I will have to completely disassemble it to set it right. :B

UH-OH,

What are ya tellin me Roy??

In Leon's pic the rotation is backwards.  And I've got four of them coming?  Got a pic of what we've ordered :'(

edit, sent an Email, hopefully they'll cancel the order while we sort this out.

Edit2, clarified the statement regarding Leon's pic to indicate the impellor rotation is wrong, The piccy is fine ;-))

Boy,Roy, it IS confusing.  Looking at Leons pic now, the impellor will rotate anticlockwise as we view it right?

That will effectively scoop water and force it to the center of rotation instead of "lifting" it to the outside of the pump.  Am I thinking correctly?

Looking at the pump site linked above for terminology, the cutwater on our housings is at the top bolt opposite the inlet pipe.  The volute starts just past that and swells outwards until the open area at the top.

I wonder now if Racetorations simply copied the Dolomite impellor until someone noticed the error.

Rimmers are bloody good IF you ask the right questions.

Have you got blah?

Is it a remake?

Have you got it in stock?

Half the trouble here is a problem that we as car enthusiasts are going to suffer a lot from.

The people who order remade parts are unlikely to be engineers and so go to the cheapest suppliers (fing China)who in turn lie and will supply a good prototype but the main batch will be crap.

No one wants to buy stuff at more than cheap prices.

So suppliers get the cheapest so they get the customers ::) its a vicious circle.

Rimmers hoses for example have no cloth in them and simply baloon up ??) they are in fact total crap, so I go to my local scrappy and get hoses that are off near new cars and use them because they are simply better than Rimmers new.

New old stock hoses are taking a big risk as age deteriates rubber.