Big End Shell Recommendations?

I went to Castle Combe today. Nice to meet Knackerjack, Bruce and some others at last. Unfortunately, not a good day for Triumphs. KnackerJack went home on a recovery truck (I’ll let him explain) and my big ends are rattling. The car went like stink for 4 laps then the oil pressure fell off a cliff and an ominous rattle ensued from the engine.

I abandoned the track laps and headed for home. I meant to drive a couple of miles and call the RAC. But the car made all the way home! I put my EWP on override which kept the oil really cold and I could maintain 50psi at 2K. She only rattled at start up so I kept her to 45mph and drove the 65miles! Didn’t labour the engine and she didn’t knock. I hope to just change the shells to get me through to a winter rebuild. I think the shells fitted (supplied by the machine shop) are Glacier. I know that there are crap shells out there, so what are the recommendations please guys? Ever the optimist, I am hoping to change them with the engine in the chassis – do I need to lift the head??

BTW, sorry Bruce for not being my normal gregarious self, but I was a bit pre-occupied! I promise to be better company next time.....

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi George- no need for an apology. I know myself how 'entertaining' it is when your car is poorly at these events and everyone is asking the same questions :X! Doubtless we'll meet again sometime :).

Glad that you got home ok. That was a monstrous knock on initial start-up :o, but it did settle to a far more subtle noise.

I'm keen to hear the definitive diagnosis :).

I think King heavy duty (Trimetal) are the best available these days outside of NOS Vandervell VP.  The Glacier aluminium/tin shells are ok for garage queens.

Be careful buying King bearings though, I think they also make a standard version similar to the Glacier ones.  County Heavy Duty are reputed to be King Trimetal.  Bring back Vandervell VP.....  :(

Nick

Where would I get these?  I notice that Witor advertises that he has VP2 Trimetal?? Any ideas? My current shells are AE / Glacier , I think. If they are the problem, they lasted 3 yrs and several Hill Climbs etc.

Witor has VP2 in some sizes - worth asking.  Dunno where the King/County ones come from - presume the usual suspects, but also worth trying the engine machine shops as they usually have pretty good sources.  I had lots of problems with the Glacier ones in my 1500 Herald including an extra crankcase breather in one case  ::) so you've done well! Were you doing anything rash at the time?  Trouble is that circuits allow you to hold high rpm and big throttle for longer than you would ever manage on the road or hillclimbs - which soon finds the limits!  Another possibilty is oil surge although I'd have thought that would have shown up on a hillclimb before this?  :-/  Lets hope tha crank is not shagged....

Nick

• 1 month later...

This is the shell I removed, I have never seen anything like this in my life. The others are nothing like this, I don't know why only one journal should go. Perhaps it's related to the TLD inspired extra oil feeds, all of which have been removed! These shells are stamped AE and now replaced by King Trimetals - we shall see!

BTW - I think I have tracked down a new unused crank that I should be able to get Vandervells for in standard size.

Warning: This is not for the squeamish!!!

PICT0724.jpg

Perfectly normal.

I used to see this stuff every week from British exchange engine sellers in France.

Badly built engine.

If you engineer something properly it won't fail......so "screw your courage to the sticking place and we'll not fail".  ;D

Steve mate , #5, is that relevant????

GT - typical comment "badly build engine".  I built it myself, extremely carefully and all tolerances respected, it took me months. To be honest that comment pisses me off. You snipe too easily my friend, no wonder you are "Billy no mates"!!!  Of course I realise that unless GT build it it would be no good. And what does ""screw your courage to the sticking place and we'll not fail" mean?? Sounds like something you get when you use an on-line translator.  Climb back out of your own anus GT and make some constructive comments or don't bother....

I`ve had similar problems recently with a new engine,it only did 400 miles and after the first motorway run of 60 or so miles at no more than 3000 revs it did this to no.1 big end,neither i or the machine shop can see any definitive reason for this,no swarf anywhere,pumps clean,mains are fine.

These are the County heavy duty tri metal type.

Steve

They've gone straight to the copper - in 400 miles!! It might just be shit materials, but that would be a worry when we are told that the Israeli Trimetals are our only choice these days! What oil were you using???

It had Valvoline VR1 in it,pressure never went below 50psi although i wasn`t watching the guage all the time,the crank has had to have 2o thou taken off to get it useable again.

Steve

"GT - typical comment "badly build engine".  "

quote was from (lady) MACBETH.

It was all about killing the KING!

If you used those bearings you didn't measure clearances because you couldn't.

Glacier are shit, they were used as a cheap alternative for people who couldn't afford or didn't want to afford Vandervell.

They have NO PLACE in a competition engine with 4 main bearings.

(Like "NO PROBLEMS BASTUCK" for instance)

"GT - typical comment "badly build engine".  "

quote was from (lady) MACBETH.

It was all about killing the KING!

If you used those bearings you didn't measure clearances because you couldn't.

Glacier are shit, they were used as a cheap alternative for people who couldn't afford or didn't want to afford Vandervell.

They have NO PLACE in a competition engine with 4 main bearings.

(Like "NO PROBLEMS BASTUCK" for instance)

Well. we'd all like to use Vandervell VP, but they are getting pretty hard to find at any price.....  This is on reason I keep flogging my old engine along as I know it's going to be a real ballache finding decent quality parts to rebuild it  (bearings, timing chain, sprockets, cam followers)

How about Plastigauge for measuring actual assembled bearing tolerances.  Only way I know of to verify that the crank grind and bearings match as they should.

That bearing has got hot due to loss of oil film, partially melted and been squeezed out of the gap - you backed off just in time to avoid total destruction  :P.  I have seen similar (also AE Glacier sintered alu crap) on a certain 1500 I used to run.  Didn't know any better in those days  :B

Nick

neither i or the machine shop can see any definitive reason for this,no swarf anywhere,pumps clean,mains are fine.

These are the County heavy duty tri metal type.

Looks like you said it all.

They are just county crap made in some desert Kibbutz or former occupied territories.

Why can't people just accept they are CRAP. (clap)

A cheap clone of Glacier LC. with a surface finish of fine glass paper.