Vacuum Gauge - worth fitting?

I have been gifted a vacuum gauge.  I'm in two minds whether to fit it or not. Is it going to tell me anything I don't know already?

If I do decide to fit it permanently can I tee its feed pipe into the vacuum pipe I already have that goes from the inlet manifold to the Aldon Amethyst ignition box,  without upsetting the Amethyst?

Is it not mostly a meter measuring how far you pres the accelerator pedal down? I have also seen them marketed as econometers. Helps you drive less fun.

I would not bother (then on the other hand I have bothered about volts, oiltemp and aoipressure)

I would fit it if I found pleasure in seing gauges operate :-)

Cheers

Nick

• 1 month later...

Had one for a while, Nicks thoughts summed up my experience. Took it out when I put megasquirt in as the logs included vacuum readings, for economy once you've used it for a bit it's not hard to remember what sort of driving will generate the most vacuum.

Just to add it's particularly useful for TR6 owners. Vacuum has particular importance on the Lucas PI system, if a worn engine starts to read less vacuum then the metering unit will throw more fuel in (which probably starts a vicious cycle of creating more bore wash and thus wear).