Magnolia faced gauges

I finally finished one project that’s been rattling around in my head for years : not easy, but I’m satisfied with the result.......unfortunately the Spitfires are long-gone. I’ve already started on a set for my TR4A though .......

0C9D1603-1C41-4CDB-9012-06ACD7093BEE.jpeg

0E2ACB2A-1201-486A-A056-35E831096C0A.jpeg

861B6781-13FF-4C66-8F20-9AA8D2B7D024.jpeg

ABC5A22A-7D2C-4418-8A4C-CE68D5CAE640.jpeg

On 3/9/2020 at 9:15 PM, Ricky30DK said:

I finally finished one project that’s been rattling around in my head for years : not easy, but I’m satisfied with the result.......unfortunately the Spitfires are long-gone. I’ve already started on a set for my TR4A though .......

They do look great. How did you do the faces, are they home-printed?

I've got a Jaeger oil & water gauge that looks like it was found in a shipwreck, which I'd like to tidy up before fitting. 

Hi Pete,

they are UV printed - reasonable cost but you need to provide the graphic file, which is where things get expensive......or at least time consuming. I reckon the files for these gauges took around 50 hours to create. I tried with manipulated photos first but the quality was terrible. Vector-based Adobe Illustrator pdf files was where I ended up. Of course, I could now design a face with different coloured text or background for little extra effort.....

Did you use the original dial hardware/disc if so how did you prepare these for printing? Come to think of it how did you print the non flat disc (as it is profiled).

As Nick says a nice side line, is it one you would consider as I have a set I would like to do in the future. Sure there would be others:yes:.

4 hours ago, Ricky30DK said:

Hi Pete,

they are UV printed - reasonable cost but you need to provide the graphic file, which is where things get expensive......or at least time consuming. I reckon the files for these gauges took around 50 hours to create. I tried with manipulated photos first but the quality was terrible. Vector-based Adobe Illustrator pdf files was where I ended up. Of course, I could now design a face with different coloured text or background for little extra effort.....

Cool, you've done a very tidy job! 

I occasionally use CAD for work and was thinking of taking a scan of the clock face then tracing over it in CAD. Or better yet, getting one of the draughtsmen to do it. Then I guess there would be some playing around to correct for the non-flatness of the surface. 

If I ever get round to trying it I'll share the results..

I used the original face - cleaned off the black and painted them with magnolia from an aerosol can. UV printing can handle contoured media, but it gets a bit thin on the edges, hence my painting it before printing.

Funny you should mention the “sideline”....I am offering them for sale on our favourite auction site. I don’t think it’s something I can retire on - even at the price I’m charging, it will take a while to recoup my costs!