Megajolt on a PDA?

Excellent - thanks Frederick. My google habits are degrading my logical skills - I should have thought of going straight to autosports forum. :-/

Seems interesting - combined with a bluetooth dongle like this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bluetooth-RS232-Serial-Adapter-Dipole-Antenna_W0QQitemZ230415288585QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_Networking_SM?hash=item35a5d24909

Would that thing not also work fine with a laptop? So you could switch between the pda and laptop??

Would be an efficient way to prevent theft . just take your PDA along, and when you leave the car, change the map on the megajolt to something useless  that cannot start the car.  

Cheers

Nick

Yes I think that would work.

Only other thing you'd need is a 5V power supply/converter.

Though for tuning the map I'd use a direct connection.

Did you watch the movie?

How's your Engrish? ;D

Does the software work?

I noticed the thread is from 2007, so don't think it's V4.

Cheers,

Frederick

Any reason you would not use a bluetoothconnection for tuning?

The dongle on ebay has its own powersupply and does not rely on rs232 to power it up. I read the measquirt manual, where there are problems with power through rs232

Cheers

Nick

Well, I am worried about interference from the ignition.

I'd try it stationary first with just the engine running.

What I saw in the ebay ad is that it needs 5V, car is 12V obviously, so you need a 12V->5V converter.

Cheers,

Frederick

Interference might be a problem. A car (Midas - never heard of it) does the tuning with bluetooth, but it is a slightly newer car, so maybe less interference?

I believe the 5V is correct. According to the megasquirt manual:

"Most of the Bluetooth adapters can be powered from pin #9 (instead of the AC adapter that is supplied with the socket device). You need +5V on the pin #9 of the DB-9, allowing the Socket CSA bluetooth plug-in to get its power from the board. On the V3 main board this pin (#9) is already tied to +5V to be able to power external serial devices - so the bluetooth adapter will obtain its power from the MegaSquirt® V3 main board directly, without the adapter. "

Perhaps I should just use the old laptop. I just thought that awfull PDA I have been equipped with could actually be usefull :D

Cheers

Nick

It might work fine, Megajolt is better shielded than the original ignition system.

Could you connect the PDA directly first to see if the sparker software actually works with you MJ?

If that doesn't work no use spending money on the wifi dongle.

F.

Edit: did a quick google search and there don't seem to be to many problems with bluetooth not working in cars.

This sounds interesting .... but there's one thing I don't understand ....

The PDA has bluetooth which means you can send a signal but you need to receive the signal on the Megajolt unit .....

Which means to me that this ebay dongle is of no use ..... or is it my brain that is of no use  :P

This sounds interesting .... but there's one thing I don't understand ....

The PDA has bluetooth which means you can send a signal but you need to receive the signal on the Megajolt unit .....

Which means to me that this ebay dongle is of no use ..... or is it my brain that is of no use  :P

Your brain is of no use  :P

You plug the dongle into the communication port on the megajolt box - thus no wires.

Could be kind of fun - perhaps mostly as a supplement to a laptop. I will have to test the program on the PDA. I saw on the autosportsforum (or mini??) that a user wasn't all to happy about the PDA, as it didn't offer the samme screen size and graphics as the laptop. No big dials etc.

I think I will have to try this out - just to see if it works.

Is dataloging relevant on a megajolt? I see the use when you run injection, but on the ignition? hmmmm.  Will have to study.

datalogging gives this information:

Logfile Format

The contents of the log file is stored in a plain-text CSV format. You can read this file with a standard text editor or a spreadsheet program like OpenOffice Calc or Microsoft Excel.

* Timestamp: The time of the log file entry

* RPM: Engine RPM

* Load: Engine Load, in KPa or TPS %

* Advance: Actual Ignition Advance in degrees BTDC

* RPM_Accel: RPM Acceleration, in RPM/sec

* Load_Accel: Load Acceleration, in KPa/sec or TPS/sec

* Aux Input: Auxiliary Input value. This header value will change based on the configured label under "Advance Correction" preferences.

* Advance_Correction Advance Correction value calculated from the Advance Correction table.

* Mark_interval: Indicates a marked portion of the log data. 1 = Marked.

Cheers

Nick

Logging is useful if you are going to do acceleration test and want to compare the results.

With the rpm data you can also calculate the power/torque curve.

Never done any myself with the Megajolt.

Did try it with the Innovate software, but there was to much interference to make a nice, repeatable graph.

need to have a closer look at the Megajolt box as I don't remember what connections it offers.

MJ V4= RJ45, comes with a converter cable to RS232.

MJ V3= RS232

MJ V2= RS232

Cheers,

Frederick

I have a friend who used a PDA to calibrate the megasquirt that runs the ignition and injection fitted to his hillclimb car.  He also has it permanently connected and uses it as a datalogger.

Pete Richards

There is tuning software that runs on some PDAs for some versions of Megasquirt.  I've had no success whatever getting it to work though.  It's on my list of things to look at again sometime, but not very high up as the car is running fine apart from its disappearing oil trick.

Nick