James' EFI Saloon Thread

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked up the exhaust yesterday— lovely thing!

The 3-1 collector easily has enough space for 3 mikalor clamps — all I need to do is saw some slots. The tubing for the 3 on the collector is pretty thick though— more than is usual on an exhaust— hope it bends and squashes.

Aluminium bar and a caliper is with a friend for the brackets to be machined.

New diff is going to be built in the next few weeks too.

This is the 3-1 — the pipes are a very tight fit so I wouldn't be surprised if it seals well. The rust was getting in the way and I couldn't get it on by hand. The tubes are pretty thick and long so it's not going to bend or move at all.

It'll need a good bash to get the thing on to the 6-3—

Photo1.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So pulled off the head — doesn't seem like it's head gasket at all as there's no sign of any issues with it. Damn. Gladly it's not a wasted effort as I can do the valve springs and seats.

Along with the inner valve springs are these little rings that sit on top of the spring seats under the inner springs. Trouble is I cannot remember where those came from. I presume I whipped them off the Mk1 head where I got the spring seats and inner springs from.

Should I use them?

photo.JPG

Edited by James

Bit difficult to see in the pic? Doesn't look like the fire-rings were making good contact in the second pic though and very close to waterways explaining your pressurisation issue. Is the head flat across there (side to side)? Is the block flat across there? The one I've just had machined took a couple of thou to clean up there when the block was skimmed (not alot but sometimes they are worse apparently).

Also, had were the head bolts torqued down (rechecked at least once since initial assembly and running)? This as you only seemed to get symptoms when using it hard when chamber pressures are high........

Looks like it's been running nice and clean.

Cheers

Nick

Fire rings weren't making good contact — the block is hopefully flat as it was skimmed when it was built.

Head is at the machine shop being checked and skimmed if needs be.

I think it was my lazy torque down method :) there's no way I shall be so lazy this time (though I have done a couple of head gaskets before without an issue)

Fingers crossed that this is the reason for the pressurisation!

In my book of notes I have worked out that 1mm adds 1.3CR — approx

And 5 thou is 0.13mm

That was my calculation anyway :)

Anyway, I am somewhat relieved that it was this — so hopefully it'll all be sorted once together

Edited by James

• 1 month later...

New brakes— need a few last bits to fit them

Annoyingly I've realised that the adapters I bought to go from imperial to metric so I can reuse my lovely stainless Aeroquip braided hoses won't work as the fluid goes out sideways at the bottom of the thread. I'll need to buy some that use banjos it seems.

photo.JPG

Edited by James

What I really need — and what seems to exist in various guises — is a banjo adapter that has a 3/8 female input and a M10x1 for the banjo bolt

Though it's getting the the point where I might as well have some new hoses made up

Edited by James