James' EFI Saloon Thread

So the plan is to get together a kit of parts to EFI the saloon's new engine - though it will be run on carbs initially.

Today I "machined" my throttle bodies...

(actually these won't be the ones I use - I have a set of earlier ones - but I thought I'd test out the 14mm drill bit on these first)

Works a treat using the hammer setting on the drill - and saves the cost of machining - thanks goes to GT6Mike for this tip :)

James

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

regular mains power drill - I do have a pillar drill but that requires more set up - there is something to be said for doing it by hand as the drill guides itself.

had a bit of issue with the drill bit slipping because it's a stupid cheapo twist chuck thing - just needed some muscle to tighten it up - putting the drill on hammer helped too, i guess it stopped the aluminium from clogging up (or whatever the techy term is)

I think making up an injector wiring loom is the next order of business - nice and easy next step.

Weld the adapter plate to the airbox also next.

Already ordered a Megasquirt and all the gubbins.

I made mine out of 5mm thick steel hoping that it might not distort too much

Might be a bit marginal.  If bolted or securely clamped to a piece of 8 or 10mm plate while welding is done it should be ok.  Mine is 8mm and distortion was small enough to be taken up with a cornflake packet gasket  ;)  Don't worry, I got a proper NOS gasket set for my engine yesterday - no cornflake packets there  :)

Nick

What kind of gasket does yours have Andy?

Mine has a rubber ring a few mm offset around the hole.

When I've tightened it up I think it has enough "squash" to take up a little distortion - there is a good mm gap between the throttle body and the plate.

Not that I am aiming to distort it!

Luckily I have a mega experienced welder to do it for me - he is an artist when it comes to metal.

A place have quoted me $60 USD for shipping from the US - thats for 2ft

It's only $10 a ft!

Maybe I should get 2 x 2ft...

Can't believe nobody in the UK does the stuff - it's only extruded aluminium

yes thats what i did,enough for 2.

there is somewhere here that does it i found it on the net only after i bought mine.

james i see you are in london,whereabouts as i have a mill and the correct size cutter to machine the holes if you are interested,as andy says you don't want to sod it up and have to reorder it :'(