Triumph Pi Efi Project

Carl,

3 Bar should be a good start point for the Omega injectors - that's what they run at as standard. If you have trouble getting lean enough at idle then maybe reduce a bit.

Andy,

Nothing wrong with brass compression fittings. If using with nylon tube, make sure you fit the brass ferrule inside the tube or they tend to escape eventually. Have you considered fuel surges and pick-up issues? Suspect the Spit tank could suffer quite badly with this. Maybe consider an external gravity fed swirl pot prior to the HP pump and return to that? Mk2 Golf/Jetta GTI have a pump assembly including swirl housing that would probably do it. Use the later version from electronic injection cars (post '86)

Cheers

Nick

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think the pump will flow enough for a 3ltr?

I am using the smallest pump for the V8.

Reason is that the pump heats up the fuel

and I will not do more than requiered.

As you can make a log with megasquirt you can be sure never

to spoil a engine from too lean mixture if done right.

Make a full throttle log and look on the AFR and be sure all is correct.

1.) Hot fuel does not work

2.) Use isolator (Glass fibre tubes with sillicone)

3.) Use fuel cooler from VW or BMW diesel

4.) Warmer fuel makes excessive noise at the pressure controller.

5.) At idle nearly the full electrical power of the pump is used to cook

your fuel. 8 Amps pump means 8 x 13V = 100 Watts to boil the fuel!

ok did some very late night work last night, I am bit confused about how to wire up the fuel injectors, i know they need to be in 2 banks of three, but not sure which ones to put in which banks i.e 123 and 456 or 135, 246?

any help would be welcome

Opinions vary. Not sure it matters all that much.

I used 135 /246 on both mine - the logic being that this gives the most even loading on the fuel rail. If you have Omega V6 injector loom you'll find that if you unwrap it you can rearrange it to suit your I6.

Cheers

Nick

update and suggestions please.....

have installed the edis 6 and megasquirt /s, the first unit is a ms2.2 nad to be honest had some shifty mods on it so i have had to re-wire it and remove the shifty mods, this means it now works on the stimulator. the new ms1 ver 3 i built had a missing bridge for the edis system which is now also rectified.

when i tried to start the car i got nothing, just the start up pump prime and then no sign of cranking on tunerstudio, so scratched my head a lot, and then phoned a friend (cheers Nick) who suggested the edis was not working as at should as the fuel pump should start when a pip/saw is detected, so investigated the crank sensor and found it to be rather SH£T, so swapped it out for the orginal omega one i had, this produced a spark and showed cranking on tuner studio it also started and back fired.

i tried to start it again and i can still see cranking on the tunerstudio but it appears as if i have no spark.

need to wire in the sensor properly and shield it again, but am a bit confused about the whole thing....

can anyone confirm the firing order for a tr6 on edis using a vauxhall omega coil pack, and why would i not get a spark from edis

First off - well done! Popping and spitting means that you are almost there but probably have the plugs leads on in the wrong order........

.......Ah..... coil packs and firing order! I always struggle with this - trial and error - mostly error!

Firing order of the engine is 1-5-3-6-2-4. As this is a wasted spark system with 3 coils joined into a single unit, the cylinders firing 360º apart share the same coil so

1 - 6

2 - 5

3 - 4

Note that the firing order of the Omega is different and the shared coil pairs will be different. Take NO NOTICE of any numbers marked on the coil - they will be wrong (same goes for Ford coil packs).

Getting the pairs is easy - working out which order EDIS fires the coils in is a bit harder and does also on depend on whether you have wired the coilpack to the EDIS the way Ford expected. You can cheat and use a timing light to show you which coil pack is 1 - 6. It'll be the one that lights up your timing marks. There aren't that many combinations!

As for the no-spark-now scenario - I'd get the wiring and sensor mount secure first - it will almost certainly be something to do with this.

Cheers

Nick

I would cut off the signal back from MS to the EDIS, I think it is the SAW.

Now you have the EDIS in emergency mode with spark advance at 10 degrees.

Next step is to do a data logging with Tunerstudio and watch it with the Megalog viewer.

You can detetct if the cranking rpm is stable at somewhat 150 to 300 rpm.

If that is the case it would be time to look if sparks can be detectetd at all.

If not, the EDIS is faulty. If so you will have to connect the right coils to the

right cylinders like shown above. Than try to check spark advance,

sometimes you can use a strobe even at cranking.

While testing I would plug out one cable of the fuel pump relay and

remove spark plugs for easier cranking and not flooding the engine.

still no life or spark......

getting rather impatient, tried the plastic sensor and got no crank signal, tried the metal body sensor and got a crank signal, but no spark, when i got a spark, it was when i held it in my hand i noticed on the crank sensor it has a + pressed into the metal work, does this mean it needs a positive earth and not the negative one its getting?

the whole thing is very frustrating

when i got a spark, it was when i held it in my hand i noticed on the crank sensor it has a + pressed into the metal work,

Do not quite catch what you are telling us.

Hopefully you can not generate a spark when holding a VR sensor in your hand.

The VR sensor generates a proper signal when wired correctly.

When wired crosswise the MS does not work but I heard that

EDIS has a circuit to compensate that.

Anyway as long as nobody knows precisely I would recommend to

use the correct sensor especially for this EDIS and try both wirings.

Normally with a used EDIS comes the sensor and from the colours

of the wiring one can get a proper connection.

Maybe it would be a good advice to buy a used EDIS VR sensor

including the connected cable from Ebay and try that.

The first step must be to have a reliable spark from EDIS without use of MS.

unfortunately the edis modules i got did not come with the vr sensors. So i went to the scrap yard today and went on a mission to find a selection of sensors, i got three of ford KA's and a few of audi's etc, got home and tried the two wire ford KA one's and guess what it sparks again.... the engine did back fire this is not a problem though as its probably just the firing order

now I need to make new brackets, and this time I will test fire the spark plugs and coil firing order on my bench engine.

wired the edis 6 and coil packs to my omega coil pack tonight....... first thought the trigger wheel or sensor was mounted in the wrong place as no1 was showing at about 220 degrees, so started to question everything again, i eventually realized that the edis was firing the coils in the wrong sequence, but of swapping around and i now have it firing at about 8 degrees before tdc, so will now complete the install on the tr6 and fire it up! if it works will install on the pi next week too.

i will try and post pictures and diagrams for future reference along with part numbers.

(thanks again nick)

**** update ****

It's alive!

managed to run it up, was as rough as nails though, and running so rich that two hours later there is still a dense fog circling around the garage...

it ran better when i plugged the temp and air flow sensors in (which are not calibrated yet)

It seems the fuel is set very rich. When I dialed down the fuel on pressure regulator to 20 PSI it got a bit better.

So where can i learn about how to program the required fuel?

And does anyone know how to measure the sensors so i can convert and calibrate the values.

Well done! I believe the phrase you need is " I have made fire" delivered in suitably dramatic tones - Craig does it really well :)

Surprised it even ran with the sensors uncalibrated, never mind unplugged! What kind of temperatures does MS show when they are plugged in?

All you need is here (and quite alot more besides!)

http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html

Required fuel is on the constants page

http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms1extra/MS_Extra_Software_Manual.htm#constants

But that won't much help you until you have the sensors calibrated to give realistic figures.

To measure the sensor characterstics you need a thermometer of some kind and a multimeter to measure the sensor resistance. I then measure the sensor resistance at 0ºC (melting ice in a glass) and then at around 40ºC and then at around 80ºC (exact measurement points not critical, just the resistance measurements to match the temperatures). I think you only need 3, though getting a couple more helps to check you are getting a sensible result - should all lie on a straight line when plotted on a graph resistance vs. temperature.

I've never actually changed the calibrations on my MS1 ECUs as I've always used the default GM family sensors so you'll need to read up on that.

Cheers

Nick

tried using megatherm to convert my sensors and got nowhere, so just for shits and gigles i investigated the resistance in the version 2.2 ecu and found they where none responsive which was interesting, so swapped them for a few spares ones from my v3 build and guess what i have coolant sensor reading at a fairly accurate rate, need to buy a resistor for the inlet air temp, it looks as if the board was modified to suit an old ford.

Ran up the car tonight on the wideband sensor, and noted it runs a bit lean on constant revs, but when you hit the throttle it is of the chart rich (also spits out a black smog) it hen settles again, anyone know what setting causes this?

Holding revs under no load will give you quite high manifold vacuum. At this point the map will be set to give you lean running (14 - 15 AFR approx).

When you hoof it, two things happen: The manifold vacuum will drop sharply and the ECU will look to the top lines of the fuelling map and add alot more fuel and also the acceleration enrichment function will briefly kick-in also adding more fuel. So what you are seeing is basically normal allowing for the fact that the ECU is not setup for your engine yet and that you still have to fully sort the temperature sensors.

I'm actually surprised it'll run anything like properly without the air temperature sensor operating properly as this air temp forms part of the basic fuelling calculation! I know if I forget to plug mine in the engine doesn't even start.

The ver 2.2 hardware build manual has this to say about the sensor bias resistors:

Air temp - R4

Coolant temp - R7

In standard build these are 2.49K ohm to suit GM sensors

If you want to use different sensors and don't want to re-flash the processor (using Easytherm or whatever) then you need to swap out R4 and R7 for resistors which match the the resistance of the sensor you are using when it is at 81ºF (27ºC).

You need to read through this an grasp the basics - yes there is quite a bit of it - but you'll need it.

http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms1extra/MS_Extra_Tuning_Manual.htm

Hope this helps

Nick

VE Table for the engine is like cloth, it must fit.

As there are fat and skinny people and tall and little ones

all of that must be taken into account.

You stepped into a shop, grabbed a shirt and it fits.

So you are very, very lucky.

If you have trouble with the sensors the first step must be to get proper readings from them.

They influence the fuelling over such a large range, that they must be precise.

One way to cheat for testing is to fit adjustable resistors, maybe from an old radio.

In TS you have to make gauges for air and water temp and set them close to levels

you have actually at the engine by using the trimming resistors.

But anyway, you will need perfect data from them so why not buy the recommended ones for 40 bucks?

Next step is to find the coarse area of fuel-timing and match the VE table to the used injectors.

This is done in the the general settings and was already explained.

Next step is to match the VE table to the used cam.

I suppose you use speed density system.

The cam influences the vacuum and although you always have 100 on full throttle the

lower values, maybe at idle, may vary from 70 down to 20 and that is a lot!

What will be on one cam nearly more than half opened throttle is only idle at other cams.

Idle vacuum line is nice positioned 1/3 over the lowest points of the table.

Engine will reach lower values than idle at higher revs and nearly closed throttles

and also needs values for these points.

RPM range than must fit to the engine, too.

At last you key in values in the VE table and get a coarse setup

especially the idle can be setup to get engine started and idle properly

and may than use autotune with a wideband sensor to do the work.

For that you need to setup an AFR table first that autotune knows

what mixture you will want at what engine status.

The accel should be set very high that it does not interfear with the setup attempts

of autotune. This will give quite a bad engine behaviour but helps to setup the table.

This is a coarse plan how I used MS2 and an additional diving into the paperwork

will be necessary to get good results with fuel injection.