Painting Engine Plates (Front And Rear)

Sam

I removed my engine plates, sanded them and painted them with high quality primer and engine enamel.

But then I realised this might be silly...won't paint get through the engine if it flakes off?

Should I now remove paint from the areas that are not visible from the outside of the motor (once assembled)?

I understand the starter needs to ground to the plate so that area is a definite "must not paint" - but the main surfaces?

cheers for any advice!

You don't really want to paint by the seals anyway they make best contact with bare metal, i put the seals down in the right position, drew round them and painted to the line.

Mind you i painted the inside of my engine, its still going strong inside looks as good as new no major flaking or chipping.

Sam,

I recognise the symptoms I see in myself when rebuilding anything!

Everything should look like new, and there is nothing like a coat of fresh paint for that!

But your second thoughts are right. First, the internal surfaces are well pickled in hot oil, the staining is mild corrosion protection and in use they will be covered in a flim of oil in no time. Second, as said above, seals and gaskets should face bare metal to work best. Thirdly, again as above, the starter must have good electical contact with the block.

If you want, you could paint the block and the exposed parts of the plates after they are assembled to the block, but Triumph's amazing Corrosion-Rust Automatic Prevention system (aka oil leaks) usually makes that unnecessary!

John