Troubleshooting Tim's Megasquirt (Split from the "C.T. Down" thread).

Yes, I have Tims ECU. Tomorrow I'll also have my stim back, so will hopefully get it checked out over the weekend. Though it occurs to me that I don't have a car to attach it to for the final testing as the PI has just a bare engine hung in it and the Vitesse is away in kennels.... I will be putting the PI back together though - provided it is dry and above freezing...... (not looking especially hopeful though - winter..... :yucky: )

Nick

If its any of the Q3, Q5, Q9, Q10,or Q11 I have spares, arrived yesterday.

Rob

Seems to be mostly alive at least. Just trying rediscover the temporary mod that makes it work properly with the stim so I can get an rpm signal.

What's with the D13 mod?

Cheers

Nick

You guys sure you haven't spilt a private convo over to a public thread?

:o

C.

Seems to be mostly alive at least. Just trying rediscover the temporary mod that makes it work properly with the stim so I can get an rpm signal.

What's with the D13 mod?

Cheers

Nick

I had full rpm on my stim with the board. No worries Nick, If you need any spares give me a bell, I have most for the MS board.

The D13 part of the board was a funny colour before taking the Diode out, I could not get a decent solder joint on the board with the new diode, hence the modification. A little strange but does the job.

Rob

Edited by Bobbyspit1

Yet to be determined fully. The V/F converter chip is getting hot so is presumed dead. This is a bit of blow as it's the only component on the stim board that costs more than about 15p. Seems to be the result of the stim being knocked about a bit on its travels causing the tips of the tach-out driver transistor to be bent and touch - which I didn't notice until the damage was done. Changing the transistor (which was cooked) has not fixed it. None of this impacts on your ECU other than it prevents me from testing the bits I want to test..... New chip ordered from Rapid......

Nick

PS, I know it is the 13th today so it's probably just my crappy luck, but do you have some kind of jinx.....? :P

I know. I wanted to check that it would fire actual injectors with both banks and thus prove that the problems Tim has been getting are external to the ECU (or not, as the case may be).

Unfortunately the Stim is refusing to supply a tach signal so it won't even try to pulse injectors..... Everything else works fine though. No problem connecting to the ECU with the computer.......

I would just plug it into a car and try it, but one possible victim is not here and the other is not in a firing-up condition yet (but I'm working on it).

Nick

I know. I wanted to check that it would fire actual injectors with both banks and thus prove that the problems Tim has been getting are external to the ECU (or not, as the case may be).

Unfortunately the Stim is refusing to supply a tach signal so it won't even try to pulse injectors..... Everything else works fine though. No problem connecting to the ECU with the computer.......

I would just plug it into a car and try it, but one possible victim is not here and the other is not in a firing-up condition yet (but I'm working on it).

Nick

My stim is REALLY trying my patience. Changed the frequency generator chip and transistor to night. Does it work? Does it hell. With the transistor removed the chip generates a pulsed output - so thats alive but I cannot get the amplifier bit to work. This irks me considerably as it's not complex!

I think the issue may be that the Stim I have is version 2.2 and the latest schematic I can find on the web is V2.1. They are not the same but I've been working on the basis that they were very similar..... Maybe not siimilar enough.

Schematic shows a 2N3906 transistor. Mine had a BC557A in it (but I have a vague memory I did that). If anyone has a Ver 2.2 stim it would be much appreciated if you could read the transistor number of the flat side and also confirm that the transistor is mounted as shown on the silkscreen. If anyone has the Ver2.2 schematic that would be even better - but there doesn't seem to be one online (amazingly) even a couple of queries on the MS forum have drawn a blank.....

Cheers

Nick

Nick I built my Megastim V2.21 nearly 18 months ago and cannot find the build instructions, I assume you mean U1 as it is the only item on the board that has any writting on it.

If so it says AD654 JN #0748 1323862

Just found Q1 2N 3906 G11

Hope this helps?

Rob

Edited by Bobbyspit1

Went over at dragged the Vitesse out of it's kennel. Initial start was on it's own ECU, but once I got it in daylight out I swapped them over.....

.......and it fired up perfectly well on Tims too. So there's nowt wrong with your ECU Mr Walker (thanks due entirely to Mr Southern!). You'll need to swap the required fuel setting back to 14.7 (it's at the Vitesse 10.4 setting now).

On it's way back to your work address now by special post so you should have it tomorrow. I've also put my spare USB converter in the box. This is one that works for me without any issues at all, so hopefully it will for you too...... My apologies for the time taken - should have done this first!

I think you need to go through the wiring again, including the relay box itself (I've seen a couple of comments on the MS forum that seem to be similar to your issues that have been relay box related) and also the ECU - relay box cable. I really don't think the problem is in the ECU itself.

Looking forward to triumphant stories of successful fire-up, successful tweaking, driving etc!

Cheers

Nick