GT6 diff in a spit - hmmm

Some guy in the dansih triumph club has written to me about putting a 3.27 diff in his spitfire (1300 engine).

My first thought was - thats a crazy mod. My second thought was - no - that's not a crazy mod - its a STUPID mod!!!

Like many spitowners he needs some lower gearing to make the car more acceptable to cruising on dual carriageways. And this bloke has set his love on a 3.27 diff. I have tried to tell him that a spit 1500 diff with 3.63 would be much more apropriate for his car. And that his 0-60 would be measured in minutes rather than seconds with a 3.27 diff. This is built on mostly gut feeling.

Am I right? He has aproached me for help with buying the diff from mike papworth, but untill now I have declined cos' I don't want no part of a stupid downgrade just cos he has got no clue!

Are 3.27 such a bad idea as I believe? The engine is bogstandard - unrestored and everything. He is an old fart who just like puttering round - no spirited driving.

What should I tell him? Will he even be able to get the car going if parked uphill?

Cheers

Nick

Even a 363 is cutting it fine - I had that on my mk3. What is not relaxing about it anyway? I had an 1147 with 411 and it cruised ok - sure it was revving but it was smooth. Sounds like he should get a new exhaust or get it tuned - I can only imagine it vibrating the car.

He will find it less relaxing as he has to thrash every gear just to make it move.

Tell him to get an overdrive or else buy another car!

Has he got OD?

That said, if he's an old fart who just likes pootling around slowing everyone else down (like a lot of Luxembourgish BMW and Merc drivers), why not?

His problem after all.

He's then be at 3900 rpm in 4th at 130 km/h... if ever he got there.

No - he has got no OD, no proper exhaust - not a single decent mod!

Is there a resource somewhere where you can calculate roadspeed at given rpms? He is the kind of spitowner who thinks it will explode if needle goes further than 3500 rpm  :-/

That said - it isn't exactly comfortable to cruise along with +4000 rpm for hours!

Cheers

Nick

I am a big fan of ODs too. Problem is - this is the kind of guy who is resistant to arguments and rationality. Not entirely his problem. He would be damaging the rep of all triumph. Imagine people talking -" I tried this spit, and boy wasit slow. It took 5 minutes to reach 40 mph" and couldn't barely drag itsel up the hill."

Cheers

Nick

True.

My MK IV was fine on the motorway. OK, it never got over 85 miles an hour, but it got there, and drank nuffink.

Of what I've heard, the 3.27 isn't the most solid of diff's anyway. This may well not be true, but you could tell him lies ;)

I do have a working D-type at home, it's still attached to the rather shagged old Vitesse gearbox, but once I work out how to split the bugger...

Alternatively, make a big sticker for his car, displaying in all the european languages: "My owner is an idiot; Other Spitfires are faster. Hell, even milk floats are faster" ;D

Tell him to fit o/drive box instead! ;)

Have tried - would be easier to solve the middleeast crisis!!!

I have mailed him the figures from James mintylamp calculator. He will probly find the figures appealing as in his mind low RPS equals good :o,

Have told him that I will NOT help him get a 3.27 for his spitfire. If he decides on a 3.63 I will happily help him. But I am NOT assisting in making bad choices!

Any guestimate on driveability of a spit3 with a 3.27 diff?

Cheers

Nick

3.27 AWFUL!

3.89 is the best diff for a 1300!

3.63 is a bit long, unless you up the POWER ALOT and lighten the car ALOT.

I'm glad we agree on this. It is a tough task to help people that doesn't really want the help, but just want you to do stuff their way :-/

Last time this guy wanted my help he wanted wirewheels for his spit. I tried to talk him out of it - no luck. After he got the wheels he started complaining about them.  ::)

pERHAPS i SHOULD JUST TELL HIM TO BUY A DIFF LOCALLY - THEN HE COULD ALSO PROVE MY POINT THAT IF YOU WANT QUALITY ITEMS YOU WILL HAVE TO GET IT FROM GOOD GUYS LIKE PAPWORTH - NOT THE SHITE THAT IS TURNED OUT FROM DUBIOUS WORKSHOPS (ARRGH, BLOODY CAPS LOCK) who flogs stuff expensively produced for the lowest possible price.

aahhh, rant over

Cheers

Nick

I know you don't have any hills in Denmark - but as soon as it hits any kind of gradient it will start to go backwards. Meaning that he will have to change down in to 3rd to get it back up to speed ALL the time.

I've driven standard GT6s with 3.27 and it's not nice at all.

i have a 3.27 in my spit6 which is packin out much more power and tourqe than a 1300, and yes its nice on motorways but apart from that i dont like it, i dare to think what it would be like in a 1300! ugh tell him to get on here so we can bash some sense into him lol

OVERDRIVE!!!

i have a 3.27 in my spit6 which is packin out much more power and tourqe than a 1300, and yes its nice on motorways but apart from that i dont like it, i dare to think what it would be like in a 1300! ugh tell him to get on here so we can bash some sense into him lol

OVERDRIVE!!!

I will NEVER EVER tell him about this forum. Believe me - you don't want to know him. I regret the day I gave him my phonenumber and said he could just call if he needed any help. He talks forever (in a funny annoying accent). If I didn't know better I would have thought he was an friedmarsbareatingadmin >:(

Still - he has started considering a 3.63 now. Which would probly suit his drivingstyle fine (flatcapalert!).

Cheers

(in a funny annoying accent)

You all do that Nick ;D (but you should hear my Danish ;) )

You should "help" him order one and tell him that 3.27 are unobtainable or else just order the 3.89 without telling him...

When he sees the receipt just tell him we have a different number system here in the UK - it's a bit like the exchange rate...

OI - my accent might be funny - but it isn't annoying (it's just the things I say that appears to annoy people :-/  )

Well, I have basaicly told him that it is a stupid modification and I will not help him (and then he thanked me and said he would reconsider :o  )

Probably hear from him again soon - I will not get off the hook that easily :-/

And you mean ratios are like the pound exchange - it keeps falling - what was 3.89 last week is 3.27 this week  :P:P

Cheers

Nick

Are yoooooouuu ssssuuure?  :K)

- hmmm - okay, I'll get my c...

What is C...??? Oooh noooo - please. I really really really hope that is your coat. Otherwise I will definately be in the market for another workshop very soon. Friggin perv!!

;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers

Nick

• 4 weeks later...