Triumph Acclaim - the 7th worst British car?

Toledo Man

I read an article in the Daily Mail today listing the 10 worst British cars. Top was the Austin Allegro closely followed by the Morris Ital but what pisses me off was the the Triumph Acclaim was in 7th above the TR7 which was in 10th. I find that hard to believe. OK, OK, so it was Honda under the skin but it was built in this country and held the record for fewest warranty claims. It was probably the best thing to roll off a BL production line. I have 2 of these cars and apart from rust issues they're quite reliable.

The 7th worst British car? Bollocks!

Well yes...

You have to consider that it is probably the opinion of about 35 individuals polled in Hampstead... if it isn't a completely fictional opinion of the journalist

You can probably safely bet that 'those who voted' for the Allegro have probably never even sat in one.

I can believe that.

:D

I got all my cynicism from Life in Bratfud.

Worst car owned? Probably my second Renault 25. Cornered like the QE2.

Worst driven? definitely a 1988 Fiat Uno with it's 900cc engine and binding brakes  >:(

Incidently, a colleague at work who buys and sells cars, bought a late reg pageant blue Allegro maybe 5 years ago, in part-ex. He drove it around for some time before moving it on. It was alow mileage 2 owner and in wonderful condition. The engine ran beautifully and sounded like a bloody sewing machine :D ;D I'd have been pleased to run around in it. :)

They forgot the Morris Marina.

That was the worst car my dad owned. In the end he wouldn't drive it further than 10 miles from in incase it broke down again.

My grandma had an Allegro and she newer had any trouble with it.

My Dad ran an Allegro 1300 saloon for about 6 years when I was a boy. It was about 9 years old when he sold it.  Later on my Mum bought an 11 year old Aggro estate as a runabout. Due to a cock up with the delivery of his company car, my Dad ended up commuting 100 miles a day in the estate for about 3 months; they gave very few problems.  Definately the sort of car you'd need a sense of humour to own nowadays though!

I've always quite liked Acclaims. I still do, although when new, they really were the chariots of blue rinsed old ladies.

Isn't the Marina basically an MGB saloon...? :X

Pretty much.  ;D  One way to raise the hackles of an MGB owner is to refer to their car as a Marina coupe, or convertible if it's a roadster..... ;D  To be truthful, I've never understood the MG / Triumph rivalry and so am reluctant to slag off MBGs too much even if a so called sports car with a leaf sprung live axle is a bit of a contradiction in terms.

The Acclaim thing reminds me of how fucked up BL or Austin Rover were at the time.  My Dad was looking for a new family car to replace the Allegro which he planned to keep as a second car.  The local BL dealer, Taggarts of Kirkcaldy, were selling Minis, Metros, Itals, Ambassadors, Acclaims, Rover SD1s, XJ6s and XJSs alongside each other in the showroom.  I had a great time in the XJS while my Parents looked over a used Austin Princess......

Thankfully they bought a Cortina in the end.

• 3 weeks later...

The Acclaims were built in the UK at Cowley. The running gear was pure Honda. Cowley was the old Morris factory and now where BMW makes the MINI.

So to put it briefly: BMW mini is today what Triumph Acclaim was 3 decades ago.

I kinda like that thought.

Cheers

Nick